Facebook Users' Data

So my news listed a link where you can see immediately vs waiting for the notification to be rolled out to you regarding if Cambride Analytica received information by the app “This Is Your Digital Life.”

This is what my husband's FB page says:
Based on our available records, neither you nor your friends logged into "This Is Your Digital Life."
As a result, it doesn't appear your Facebook information was shared with Cambridge Analytica by "This Is Your Digital Life."

This is what my FB page says:
Based on our investigation, you don't appear to have logged into "This Is Your Digital Life" with Facebook before we removed it from our platform in 2015.
However, a friend of yours did log in.
As a result, the following information was likely shared with "This Is Your Digital Life":
  • Your public profile, Page likes, birthday and current city
A small number of people who logged into "This Is Your Digital Life" also shared their own News Feed, timeline, posts and messages which may have included posts and messages from you. They may also have shared your hometown.

Welp that sucks for me..but I think it does highlight...just because you didn't do something doesn't mean someone you are 'friends' with on FB didn't thus it going back to you and your information being potentially shared.

Those responses definitely show why this type of stuff absolutely needs more regulation, protections for people and serious consequences when companies act illegally and unethically to use that data in inappropriate ways.
Senator Markey got into it with Zuckerberg today re: legislation:

https://www.boston.com/news/politics/2018/04/10/ed-markey-mark-zuckerberg-congress

Markey was one of the author's of the Children's Online Privacy Act of 1998 :

http://www.coppa.org/coppa.htm

He also sais FB may be subject to exorbitant fines for violating a 2011 consent decree with the FCC:

"The 71-year-old Democrat said Facebook essentially agreed to obtain such “opt-in” permission in a 2011 consent decree the company signed with the Federal Trade Commission. Facebook could theoretically face gargantuan fines if they’re found to have violated the agreement."

I don't think this is as much a simple "buyer/user beware" situation as so many seem to think. Ymmv

Senator Markey got into it with Zuckerberg today re: legislation:

https://www.boston.com/news/politics/2018/04/10/ed-markey-mark-zuckerberg-congress

Markey was one of the author's of the Children's Online Privacy Act of 1998 :

http://www.coppa.org/coppa.htm

He also sais FB may be subject to exorbitant fines for violating a 2011 consent decree with the FCC:

"The 71-year-old Democrat said Facebook essentially agreed to obtain such “opt-in” permission in a 2011 consent decree the company signed with the Federal Trade Commission. Facebook could theoretically face gargantuan fines if they’re found to have violated the agreement."

I don't think this is as much a simple "buyer/user beware" situation as so many seem to think. Ymmv

I think it is pretty simple- your info is valuable and laws/regulations be darned when people can make money buying/selling it.
This may shed light on what is going on but I don't think this is going to stop it from continuing to happen.

There may be some noise made, money changes hands and regulations imposed, but I fully expect at the end of the day our data will be as effectively protected as our phone lines are by the strictures imposed with the Do Not Call List.

There may be some noise made, money changes hands and regulations imposed, but I fully expect at the end of the day our data will be as effectively protected as our phone lines are by the strictures imposed with the Do Not Call List.

I love your optimism, lol.

By the time ANY Congress, figures out regulations, legislation, and fines it will be outdated to put to good use.

By the time ANY Congress, figures out regulations, legislation, and fines it will be outdated to put to good use.

Plus, based on what we know from the Snowden Revelations alone, our government has no credibility questioning anyone about misusing data.

I don't know anything about the rules and regulations of such things but this got me wondering if the data FB collects on non-users is covered by laws the way the data of their users is?
I thought it was pretty telling that when asked if non-users can opt out of collection of their data, Zuck skirts around saying "no".
Wake up everyone- you have no privacy on the internet!!

Lujan: Facebook has detailed profiles on people who have never signed up for Facebook, yes or no?

Zuckerberg: Congressman, in general we collect data on people who have not signed up for Facebook for security purposes to prevent the kind of scraping you were just referring to [reverse searches based on public info like phone numbers].

Lujan: It’s been admitted by Facebook that you do collect data points on non-[Facebook users]. My question is, can someone who does not have a Facebook account opt out of Facebook’s involuntary data collection?

Zuckerberg: Anyone can turn off and opt out of any data collection for ads, whether they use our services or not, but in order to prevent people from scraping public information… we need to know when someone is repeatedly trying to access our services.

Lujan: It may surprise you that we’ve not talked about this a lot today. You’ve said everyone controls their data, but you’re collecting data on people who are not even Facebook users who have never signed a consent, a privacy agreement.

And it may surprise you that on Facebook’s page when you go to “I don’t have a Facebook account and would like to request all my personal data stored by Facebook” it takes you to a form that says “go to your Facebook page and then on your account settings you can download your data.”

So you’re directing people that don’t even have a Facebook page to sign up for a Facebook page to access their data… We’ve got to change that.

No doubt. But do we just then surrender and not have anyone try at all?

They are not concentrating on the right data.

You start with stopping any collection of data by the government without a warrant. That is step one.

Then you move onto data security and hold companies responsible for their security and being breached.

A company sharing their own data with another company is way further down the list. I don't care what companies gather as we poke around the web using data supported (often mis-labeled ad supported) content.

No doubt. But do we just then surrender and not have anyone try at all?

I'm a realist. Money has spoken louder than the People for a very long time. I actually do remain hopeful that we reach the point where our representatives of all stripes genuinely work for the good of the People as the ordinary course of doing business.

I feel sorry for Zuckerberg... he has faced the worst thing any millenial could endure - he had to explain how the internet works to a group of ignorant and completely out of touch senior citizens.

In a Facebook Tech Business networking group I am a member of, thats been the main response too, everyone is laughing at the senators complete and utter lack of understanding of how social media and the internet in general works.

Some of the questions are now being turned into memes :rotfl2:

In a Facebook Tech Business networking group I am a member of, thats been the main response too, everyone is laughing at the senators complete and utter lack of understanding of how social media and the internet in general works.

Heard a clip on the radio and could not believe what I was hearing.

I feel sorry for Zuckerberg... he has faced the worst thing any millenial could endure - he had to explain how the internet works to a group of ignorant and completely out of touch senior citizens.

It's ok. As I tell my kids, someday you will be those people! :lmao:

People keep talking about facebook users wilingly giving facebook their personal data - which is of course true as far as it goes.
But facebook goes WAY beyond keeping track of what you knowingly provide through your account. In fact, it has info on you even if you don't have a facebook account. Are you 100% confident none of your friends have ever allowed facebook access to their contact list? Never used the "find my friends' features? Never sent you an article they originally linked to on facebook? Are you 100% confident you delete your cookies before and after ever single website visit that might have a facebook "Recommend" button? Are you always on a VPN?

This is a really important and insightful article: https://www.aclu.org/blog/privacy-t...ebook-tracking-me-even-though-im-not-facebook

And of course it's not just facebook, although they're the biggest for now.
This is my biggest issue. Pretty much other than this site, I despise most social media. I don’t use it at all. So ppl I know use it frequently so some of my info & definitely some pictures may have been used & I have no say & did not willingly decide to use it.

And these dolts are supposed to be trusted with regulating the web? Deep and total understanding are needed to fashion good regulation. Most don't even understand that the web and Internet are not the same thing.

Listening to the media, and many congressmen, have no idea how Title 2 and net-neutrality intersect was pretty funny and infuriating and debate about this will also be Michael Jackson with popcorn worthy.

And these dolts are supposed to be trusted with regulating the web? Deep and total understanding are needed to fashion good regulation. Most don't even understand that the web and Internet are not the same thing.

Listening to the media, and many congressmen, have no idea how Title 2 and net-neutrality intersect was pretty funny and infuriating and debate about this will also be Michael Jackson with popcorn worthy.
Heck, Mark Zukerberg seemed a little perplexed half the time too.

Maybe you should volunteer to help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter