Facial recognition

😄.... people concerned about privacy shouldn't go anywhere near Orlando. If you get anywhere near a theme park you are being tracked in one way or another, and usually multiple ways.

Yes, Universal has been using Facial Recognition for Express Passes...but the time it takes to do would currently be too cumbersome to use at the main gates for ticket verification. But doesn't mean they aren't using it like Disney does for keeping unwanted individuals out.

😄.... people concerned about privacy shouldn't go anywhere near Orlando. If you get anywhere near a theme park you are being tracked in one way or another, and usually multiple ways.

Yes, Universal has been using Facial Recognition for Express Passes...but the time it takes to do would currently be too cumbersome to use at the main gates for ticket verification. But doesn't mean they aren't using it like Disney does for keeping unwanted individuals out.
I disagree. I have an Annual Pass for Disneyland and it is linked to my photo. They scan the pass and my photo pops up, it’s way faster than the finger scan at Universal which almost never works for me the first time and at least once a trip I have to show ID at the gate.

I disagree. I have an Annual Pass for Disneyland and it is linked to my photo. They scan the pass and my photo pops up, it’s way faster than the finger scan at Universal which almost never works for me the first time and at least once a trip I have to show ID at the gate.

That's not facial recognition though (besides the attendant seeing the picture matches you).

At Universal for Express Pass they have you look at a camera that compares your face to database... it took 10-20 seconds to give a 'Ok' when it worked, but of course it frequently would have problems. Instead of just waving you through, the attendants would start having people change positions etc and try again... those times could be a minute or more playing around trying to get it to work.

While fingerprint scans have issues sometimes...the facial recognition was defiantly worse. Maybe in the future they will have it so it scans your face while in line so it's ready to compare when scan your ticket/pass and go much quicker.

That's not facial recognition though (besides the attendant seeing the picture matches you).

At Universal for Express Pass they have you look at a camera that compares your face to database... it took 10-20 seconds to give a 'Ok' when it worked, but of course it frequently would have problems. Instead of just waving you through, the attendants would start having people change positions etc and try again... those times could be a minute or more playing around trying to get it to work.

While fingerprint scans have issues sometimes...the facial recognition was defiantly worse. Maybe in the future they will have it so it scans your face while in line so it's ready to compare when scan your ticket/pass and go much quicker.
Well in May it was just a photo. We stayed at HRH and one of our photos somehow captured someone else not in our group. It was annoying as it couldn’t be fixed at guest services or elsewhere. I assure you it is not as advanced as you think it is. I just hope that next time we have express from staying onsite it works correctly. It still worked, but explaining the situation got old quickly, and the trip to guest services made us late to dinner at Toothesome...

Well in May it was just a photo. We stayed at HRH and one of our photos somehow captured someone else not in our group. It was annoying as it couldn’t be fixed at guest services or elsewhere. I assure you it is not as advanced as you think it is. I just hope that next time we have express from staying onsite it works correctly. It still worked, but explaining the situation got old quickly, and the trip to guest services made us late to dinner at Toothesome...

We went in August and it is as 'advanced' as I thought it would be... it was actual facial recognition technology, not just a picture. There was no picture for them to look at, just a green light if there was a match. Again, not that it worked great, but they were trying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter