Faith, hope, trust, and Pixie Dust!

that was so sweet and moving, :flower3:

Thanks. Those moments are very special with neurotypical kids, but when they happen with a child with extra difficulties, they become extra special. :love: (It seems that these moments happen VERY frequently at WDW...could it be the Disney Magic?)

BTW, GREAT verse in your siggy. Verses like that help get me through the day. :flower3:

Just spent the afternoon reading all of these beautiful posts and I am truly speechless.

So glad that everyone who posted was able to experience such magical moments.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to share . . . hoping this thread will continue . . .

:grouphug: & pixiedust: to all!

Here is my wonderful story from my wedding night:

In January 2009 I was in Disneyland visiting my in-laws and I met a lovely woman with a daughter named Azzaria (sp). She used a custom McLaren special needs stroller, and we were discussing how annoyed we were that other people were trying to pass off their strollers as "special needs" so they did not have to pick up their child. (We watched a person tell the CM they needed the stroller intact on the tram, and then he told us he did not really need it, as if we were part of a grand conspiracy. Needless to say, we flagged down a CM and got the guy removed from the line.

(In Disneyland, the trams are wheelchair accessible and take you to the park entrance)

I later saw Azzaria and her mom on BTMRR, which was a blast!

Fast forward 10 months later to Oct 2009 in Disney World....

We are waiting for SpectroMagic on the night of my wedding, and we see a fairly familiar face sitting to our right... It was Azzaria! She had travelled all the way from California on a Wish Trip, and we happened to pick the same spot for the parade!

Talk about a chance meeting! Now we are waiting to go back to CA to see if we see her again!

When my mom and I went in October 2008, CM went out of their way to help us. We are both disabled and need ECVs for Disney. The accessibility was amazing to me. I traveled as a teenager competing in wheelchair sports. Disney was one of the best places I have ever been for accessibility. CM made it so easy for us to get on and off rides and bent over backwards to make sure we were safe. I normally walk to get around but couldn't handle the amount of walking at Disney. One of my hesitations about using an ECV was past experience traveling when using a wheelchair. The accessibility at Disney gave me the freedom to enjoy my trip. My whole family is going in November and my mom is calling tomorrow to reserve our ECVs. :cool1:

We took our kids to Disney for the first time in 2008. Our oldest is now 13 years old - he has Down syndrome and Autism. He does not chew food so he can only eat soft and pureed food. As you can imagine, I was concerned about him getting a decent hot meal every day. I did bring my food processor and canned ravioli (in a thermos) so that covered lunch.

I had read in the Passporters' Special Needs guide that some restaurants will puree food. That was the deciding factor! Every table restaurant we went to, the chef came out and discussed his meal. My son ate like a king that week!

We are now getting ready for our 3rd trip back. There is no where else I can vacation where I know he will be treated so well. We will continue to return each year simply for him (and my 10 year old son isn't complaining!).

KIM
Trip 3: 08/25-09/03

They are really always there to help.......I am so glad that your son gets treated like a King there......That is the Disney Magic that keeps us going there.........It is our absolute best place in the WORLD,

Disney has a policy of CARING. They train and encourage their cast members to care about people, especially about Wish Trip Kids. This is so unusual in our age. I have gone to Disney with my DD, both for a wish trip and for a remission celebration trip. She was always shown such compassion, caring and attention. May Disney always have middle management folks who encourage cast members to show that they care. It starts at the top. May whoever fills Roy Disney's shows put them on the right feet.

We are going to DW at the end of the month and I cannot wait to post our magical moments!

ODS has SPD and possibly some other stuff going on, on top of serious food allergies. I know DW is the one place we will truly have magical memories... I am so nervous about the trip - ODS needs his routines and such, I just hope I have good news to report when we get back!

We took our two sons to Disney for the first time in 2008. They were 4 and 1 at the time. I had promised to take my older son for his 5th birthday but we went early thanks to free dining :goodvibes I honestly thought we would go to Disney once, hate it, and swear to never go back. My oldest son has had ongoing medical issues beginning before his birth. His life has been full of labs, therapy visits, and doctor visits. But for one week Disney gave us all an escape. There were no needles, no doctors, and the weight of managing the unknown was temporarily lifted. As we toured Epcot we went into a shop near Norway where the large troll lives. My older son and husband donned viking hats, swords, and shields and began to battle the large troll. A kind CM noticed the interaction and flagged down a photopass photographer. She then directed other guests around us so I could video tape the interaction. When we walked out of the store I told my husband that the interaction was worth the price of the whole trip. By the end of the trip we booked a bounce back offer.

Fast forward to fall of 2009. I called reservations to make a change to my reservation. I was very upset as we had recently learned our older son would need a transplant. The CM was having a hard time adjusting the reservation without losing our free dining offer. I began crying and told him that my son was having some serious medical issues. I explained that I worked for the Children's Hospital in our area and that my child was by no means terminally ill but that this trip was the only thing tangible we were holding onto. The CM informed me that he had moved to Orlando from our area and that he had three sons. He then stated that his middle son had cancer during his childhood and was alive thanks to our Children's Hospital. He then assured me he would take care of our reservation and he did.

My son's condition has progressed over the past year and we debated whether we would be able to make a trip back this year due to the economy. However, he asked to return and DH agreed it is better to take him now than to regret not taking him later. So, we will be returning this year in December. When people at work ask me how I am able to manage I tell them I can get through anything as long as I am planning a trip to my happy place.

I just posted a frustration on another thread, but want to follow that up with the many positive experiences we've had in this thread. :goodvibes Thank you for starting this....I had a good cry!

Daughter
I have a daughter with high functioning autism. She has been working through social anxiety among other challenges her whole life. When she was almost 5, I decided that the best way to get her used to groups of people would be to take her to a Disney park. It's interesting, kid-centered, and friendly. During this first trip, she didn't speak a single word. She just stayed close to me and looked at everything with wide eyes. She'd occasionally go on rides (with short lines) with her sister or I and we'd get a little nervous smile. She seemed to be having a good time, but just had nothing to say!

On the LAST night we were waiting for the parade near the entrance of the park right before we were going to leave. We were sitting on the curb and it was quite a wait (since we were at the end of the route). She stood up, turned to her sister and I and said "Are they coming yet?" We just cried! All the way back to the hotel she chattered about all of the cool things at Disney. She DID have fun!

We continued the tradition and I've seen her become more and more comfortable in crowds at Disney parks. We even managed a Thanksgiving a couple of years ago!

Mom's Experience
Over the last 10 years I've become more and more disabled from an autoimmune arthritis. We don't travel much anymore becuase most places are dirty, uncomfortable, and less accomodating for the disabled. I'm so grateful for Disney properties! They've made a real effort to make things as normal as possible for people who struggle physically. The first aid stations are fantastic! Queue lines are shaded (in most parks), and they've put a lot of thought into making the ride loading/unloading comfortable for both me and my service dog. We'll go once a year until I'm no longer able to travel. 2011 will be our first time to WDW (we normally go to DLR), and I know it'll be a great experience!

I truly have enjoyed all of these wonderful stories. Definately need a tissue.

I dont have a good Disney story yet, but will hopefully come back with one. I can say that This year has been extremely tough on the entire family. As our youngest at 6 weeks stopped breathing (we thought she was dead) and since then has had a ton of other medical issues. She goes in this week for surgery. Anyway for a while it was hard to do anything other than worry or stress and go to doctor appointments. Since I started planning our trip it has given us such hope. Instead of sitting around the table talking about what happens next with Alexa we all talk about what we're going to see, and do. It's made such a difference with our 6 yr old, whose imaginary friends are the disney princesses. (by the way did you know they all have holes in their bellies where they get their food too?) Disney is already working its magic and we havent even left yet.

So glad I found this thread! The stories are wonderful and have me crying :sad1:

My story: My DD is now 11 :littleangel: :love:and the joy of my life. She was diagnosed with autism at 17 months (very young but she is pretty severe....still non-verbal but communicates with a computer device) We take her to Disney often because it really is an amazing place , not just for the great rides and shows but the CM's are simply awesome with our DD. She used to be VERY afraid of the characters so we used to avoid them until my DH said let's just try and see what happens. I was waiting to find a character with a small line and small crowd (YEAH RIGHT :eek:!) All of a sudden we spotted Daisy Duck standing ALL ALONE next to Town Hall at MK:thumbsup2. We approached her, me scared that DD would melt down and cry, but Daisy could see right away that DD was special and she was so gentle in her approach. DD actually touched her duck bill and just looked at her with a smile. No running away, no crying just curious and HAPPY. She spent so much time with us and gave us the thumbs up as if to say DD is doing good, as if she knew my fears! Daisy was our highlight that day (even better then seeing Wishes!) She still has some apprehension when approaching the characters but she does it now!!!! I hope these CM's realize they are making wonderful memories for so many people :love:!!!

So glad I found this thread! The stories are wonderful and have me crying :sad1:

My story: My DD is now 11 :littleangel: :love:and the joy of my life. She was diagnosed with autism at 17 months (very young but she is pretty severe....still non-verbal but communicates with a computer device) We take her to Disney often because it really is an amazing place , not just for the great rides and shows but the CM's are simply awesome with our DD. She used to be VERY afraid of the characters so we used to avoid them until my DH said let's just try and see what happens. I was waiting to find a character with a small line and small crowd (YEAH RIGHT :eek:!) All of a sudden we spotted Daisy Duck standing ALL ALONE next to Town Hall at MK:thumbsup2. We approached her, me scared that DD would melt down and cry, but Daisy could see right away that DD was special and she was so gentle in her approach. DD actually touched her duck bill and just looked at her with a smile. No running away, no crying just curious and HAPPY. She spent so much time with us and gave us the thumbs up as if to say DD is doing good, as if she knew my fears! Daisy was our highlight that day (even better then seeing Wishes!) She still has some apprehension when approaching the characters but she does it now!!!! I hope these CM's realize they are making wonderful memories for so many people :love:!!!

Ya got me on that one.:flower3: I still think we need a 'tears of joy" or "happy tears" smilie.

Hi there,

Since my 72 y.o. mother lives with an undiagnosd Asperger (yes, it was "something" to grow up...), and my daughter lives with 7 diagnosis, including mild ASD, and since I am a therapist, I live close to people with special needs on a daily basis. Reading these stories makes me smile and help me continue. I read: "Disney Magic can work".

I put away $200 a month for 5 years to be able to really afford WDW at the Poly for the Monorail and DCL with DD and there is now just a bit over 8 months before our 18 days trip. I hope the magic will work with DD11 (in 2011) too.

I just wait for my turn to report on this thread!

Poussière de fée,

Clochette Nordique

My Mom is a CM and a few years ago she was working the Grand Opening of the Finding Nemo attraction. Mom's job was to be the CM handler of a radio celebrity. Making sure he got where he needed to be and had everything he needed, basically acting as a personal guide. At one point, while her DJ was preparing to do an interview with the original voice of Mickey Mouse, who was just the sweetest little man, mom was standing over to the side with Mickey's wife. Mom and Minnie (yes, the voice of Mickey was married to the original voice of Minnie, you may die of cute now) were chatting and Minnie mentioned that my mom looked troubled. Mom confessed that her daughter (me) had a nightmare that morning, but that she had to come to work and hadn't gotten a chance to comfort her daughter properly. Minnie lost no time calling her husband over. "Mickey, call this young woman's daughter and make her feel better!" she said. Right as mom got her cell phone out and called me, it was time for the interview, but I will never forget how important it was to those wonderful people, some of the original magic makers, that they make a CM's little girl feel better.

We never told them that I was 27 at the time. :)

Our youngest dd is ASD and has had many wonderful trips to Disneyland. Most trips do bring a new skill and many wonderful memories. I was very anxious about our first trip to DW because of the size difference to Disneyland. On our first night at POFQ our dd was choosing a stuffed animal in the gift shop. After a long deliberation she choose a stuffed Marie. The CM who rang us up spent several minutes talking to dd. She asked her if they should cut off the tags. DD was in agreement to this then the CM asked dd how she thought Marie would feel when she had her tag cut and dd said scared. So the Cm asked dd what she should do and dd answered "cover her eyes."

I am sure the Cm was wondering why this little exchange had me in tears. In just a few minutes this CM had covered emotion and feelings in a fun way. Our dd sustained eye contact and interacted with this CM.:)

I do not think that the CM knew what she had just done but it was a highlight of our trip.

I love this thread!!! My daughter has a really hard time in lines due to adhd so we hadn't rode dumbo because there was no way she could wait that long in line. The cast member had no no idea of her problem or that she hadn't ridden dumbo before. But we were getting off of the carousel and he ask if we rode dumbo yet. When we told him no he took us over to the exit of the ride and we got right on. It was so amazing because my daughter really wanted to ride it, it really made her day and mine to see her so happy!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter