Fall Break in October

We went that week last year. It was busy, but we kept waits to a minimum (generally under 15 minutes) through the use of rope drop, FP, EMM, and PPO breakfasts. The only time the crowds seemed crazy was around fireworks time. To get an average level fireworks viewing spot, we had to get in place well over an hour. My guess is that it was similar to typical summer crowds.

The temperatures, while certainly better than summer, were in the mid to upper 80s except when raining. We are from Texas and I found the heat somewhat draining while touring and was glad for indoor rides and restaurants. (When we return in a few years with post-stroller kids we will be doing mid-December bc I think the heat would be too draining for them to walk that much and enjoy it.) We tour pretty hard though from rope drop to mid-afternoon break, then usually dinner and nighttime entertainment so YMMV.

We've gone Columbus Day weekend many times as it coincides with my kids' Fall Break. Next year, it's Oct 10 - 14. It's busy, but it's always busy these days at WDW, so I would just choose the dates that work for you. If you have a choice, later in October is supposed to be less busy, but we go when kids are off school. There is value in not worrying about kids missing classes and I'd rather be at WDW than having the kids playing video games at home during a break.

FWIW we live in NYC and only get Columbus Day off, no Fall Break. We do however get 2 days off usually for Passover, and when it falls on Thu-Fri or Mon-Tues DW and I would use that 4 day weekend to head on down to WDW (shes a teacher). We end up doing Summer now mostly though so we can stay longer.

Rosh Hashanah is 9/30-10/1 this year though so that shouldn't impact Columbus day dates.

The first 3 weeks of October are just NUTS any more at WDW!!! Someone, somewhere is *always* having a fall break. I threw in the towel for that time frame. Seriously. And it seems like the parks are packed all day, every day. When I go (because of work) every mid August at least the mornings aren't too crowded.

We've gone Columbus Day weekend many times as it coincides with my kids' Fall Break. Next year, it's Oct 10 - 14. It's busy, but it's always busy these days at WDW, so I would just choose the dates that work for you. If you have a choice, later in October is supposed to be less busy, but we go when kids are off school. There is value in not worrying about kids missing classes and I'd rather be at WDW than having the kids playing video games at home during a break.
That is our fall break, too, although we are taking them out of school for two days and arriving Oct.8. We are all booked and going no matter what, I’m just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

We used to go in January/February and it was awesome. Great weather and low crowds. But once our oldest started school we switched to summer. This will be our first October trip and we are excited for the Halloween party and Food and Wine! We can deal with crowds if necessary.

That is our fall break, too, although we are taking them out of school for two days and arriving Oct.8. We are all booked and going no matter what, I’m just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

We used to go in January/February and it was awesome. Great weather and low crowds. But once our oldest started school we switched to summer. This will be our first October trip and we are excited for the Halloween party and Food and Wine! We can deal with crowds if necessary.
When we've gone, we have also added a 1-2 days. It works well! We may go again for Fall break this year. Waiting to see what Disney announces about SWGE and crowd control.

When we've gone, we have also added a 1-2 days. It works well! We may go again for Fall break this year. Waiting to see what Disney announces about SWGE and crowd control.
SWGE should keep things interesting! I was a little bummed to hear it would already be open when we’re there. Of course my H was excited, but we’ll see if getting in is actually possible. I really don’t want to be in those crowds.

I'll be there for all of October. The parks always seem to hold a crowd these days. Combination of Disney's marketing, FP+ planning and strategic staffing.

Columbus weekend (10-14) will be busier than the rest of the month but not more than say Christmas/NYE. Parks do not close to capacity. Parties do not sell out.

Now the opening of Star Wars will wreak havoc with everything. It'll be open for a month and half by the time Columbus Weekend rolls around, but there will still be people lining up for it.

Please help this Canadian out! What dates are you referring to above? We'll be there the last two weeks in October...I'm hoping we'll miss the holiday/school breaks...thanks!
Hello fellow Canadian. :wave2: I've been to Disney the last two weeks of Oct. Its still packed those two weeks, but maybe not as bad as the week of Columbus day. The last week of Oct is lighter than the 3rd week. Overall, expect crowds, as Oct is definitely a busy month now. But its completely manageable as long as you're smart about it (definitely do rope drop!). Trust me, if i can handle it (I have zero patience) then anyone can. :) its such a great time to go because of the weather. It makes everything much more manageable. And the F&W festival is pretty amazing as well. I've been in Oct enough times now that i want to try another time. My next target date is spring for F&G at epcot. :) Been a while since i've done that.

The first 3 weeks of October are just NUTS any more at WDW!!! Someone, somewhere is *always* having a fall break. I threw in the towel for that time frame. Seriously. And it seems like the parks are packed all day, every day. When I go (because of work) every mid August at least the mornings aren't too crowded.
Yes i agree with you. I've given up on Oct. Use to be my fave time. What did it for me were the early park closures at MK due to mnsshp. MK would have full park hours only twice a week or so...and those two days would be PACKED. Of course i'd go because its my only chance to see HEA up close. I remember in front of the castle trying to get over from one side of the the main hub to the other....it was so packed, that i just gave up and stood where i was (which was in the sidewalk/taped off area!). It was crazy packed. Never saw crowds like that in Oct before. I vowed never to go during mnsshp again. So i tried early Nov and got hit with the xmas taping. That was just as bad! Lol. ... Now im trying for early spring for the F&G fest. Its been a while.

I agree, mornings/rope drop are the best.

Last edited:
I saw someone throw a rented wheelchair at a CM if that gives you an idea. Disney Thunderdome!

:faint: :confused3

We went that week last October and while it was an OK trip, we won't be going during Fall Break again (our Falll Break is always Columbus week.) It was crowded and it was hot (too warm for us anyway.) We agreed that if it had been cooler OR less crowded it would have been a much more pleasant trip, but with both factors at play it wasn't enjoyable.

But if it was absolutely the only time we could ever go, as in if we didn't go then we wouldn't be able to go? We'd go again.

I would Highly recommend splurging on the HEA Dessert Party just so you have some breathing room instead of being packed in like sardines for at least an hour before the fireworks. I also would recommend you look into some of the EMM (if you have little kids or are morning people) or DAH (if you have teens or are night owls) events so you can ride with much shorter lines. Doing that seriously frees up your To Do list during regular park hours.

Hello fellow Canadian. :wave2: I've been to Disney the last two weeks of Oct. Its still packed those two weeks, but maybe not as bad as the week of Columbus day. The last week of Oct is lighter than the 3rd week. Overall, expect crowds, as Oct is definitely a busy month now. But its completely manageable as long as you're smart about it (definitely do rope drop!). Trust me, if i can handle it (I have zero patience) then anyone can. :) its such a great time to go because of the weather. It makes everything much more manageable. And the F&W festival is pretty amazing as well. I've been in Oct enough times now that i want to try another time. My next target date is spring for F&G at epcot. :) Been a while since i've done that.

Yes i agree with you. I've given up on Oct. Use to be my fave time. What did it for me were the early park closures at MK due to mnsshp. MK would have full park hours only twice a week or so...and those two days would they be PACKED. Of course i'd go because its my only chance to see HEA up close. I remember in front of the castle trying to get over from one side of the the main hub to the other....it was so packed, that i just gave up and stood where i was (which was in the sidewalk/taped off area!). It was crazy packed. Never saw crowds like that in Oct before. I vowed never to go during mnsshp again. So i tried early Nov and got hit with the xmas taping. That was just as bad! Lol. ... Now im trying for early spring for the F&G fest. Its been a while.

We used to go in October, but we've given up on it too. Honestly, the last few years summer has been the lowest crowd times for us. I know it feels like you're a baked potato wrapped in foil on the surface of the sun, but the parks are open longer and there are no special events to contend with like parties most nights. We've enjoyed our summer trips for sure!

But, OP, I agree that a plan is your best friend. We've been during very busy times (holidays) and managed to do everything we wanted with little wait by taking advantage of rope drop, EMH, and the fastpass refresh method. Whenever you go that works for you try not to worry too much about crowds and just have fun -- it is possible!

We used to go in October, but we've given up on it too. Honestly, the last few years summer has been the lowest crowd times for us. I know it feels like you're a baked potato wrapped in foil on the surface of the sun, but the parks are open longer and there are no special events to contend with like parties most nights. We've enjoyed our summer trips for sure!

But, OP, I agree that a plan is your best friend. We've been during very busy times (holidays) and managed to do everything we wanted with little wait by taking advantage of rope drop, EMH, and the fastpass refresh method. Whenever you go that works for you try not to worry too much about crowds and just have fun -- it is possible!
That sounds very appealing to have no party nights and have the parks open longer. If only it werent so hot, i might consider summer time. I use to go in August with my DS all the time. Im not sure i can handle august anymore.

We have gone the last few years in October, either the 3rd or 4th week and while busy, was very manageable. Much better than the year we hit Jersey week by mistake in November.
The week of Thanksgiving was also much less crowded than we had expected it to be.
My only concern for this years trip is what effect wil SWGE have on crowds (were hoping to miss it this year). It clearly would be much worse if both rides were open. Hard to tell if many will wait for both rides to open, or if they'll just go now and then again when the second ride opens.

Yes i agree with you. I've given up on Oct. Use to be my fave time. What did it for me were the early park closures at MK due to mnsshp. MK would have full park hours only twice a week or so...and those two days would they be PACKED. Of course i'd go because its my only chance to see HEA up close. I remember in front of the castle trying to get over from one side of the the main hub to the other....it was so packed, that i just gave up and stood where i was (which was in the sidewalk/taped off area!). It was crazy packed. Never saw crowds like that in Oct before. I vowed never to go during mnsshp again. So i tried early Nov and got hit with the xmas taping. That was just as bad! Lol. ... Now im trying for early spring for the F&G fest. Its been a while.

Thanks so much! We were there last year the 3rd week of October and it was really great, so I have high hopes this year for the 4th week based on your info :) I hope you get there for F&G in the Spring! May is my absolute favourite time to be at Disney :)

We usually go third or last week of October - last trip in 2017, last week of October to beginning of November.

I just didn't see these massive horrendous crowds. Were there a lot of people? Sure! Was it completely manageable? Yep!

Enjoy! :)

I'm planning to go to DL/DCA in October. What I really like is that the Haunted Mansion gets a Nightmare Before Christmas redo that's worth the trip alone.

I wouldn't go to FL in October. It's too likely to rain.

I'm planning to go to DL/DCA in October. What I really like is that the Haunted Mansion gets a Nightmare Before Christmas redo that's worth the trip alone.

I wouldn't go to FL in October. It's too likely to rain.

In all the times we've been in October, never rained. Was very cold once, but never rained. I think rain is more towards beginning of month maybe?

In all the times we've been in October, never rained. Was very cold once, but never rained. I think rain is more towards beginning of month maybe?
Thats another reason why I like Oct besides the gorgeous weather...hardly ever rains. Mind you i've only ever been during the last 3 weeks of Oct. Never the first week of Oct. So i dont know how much more rain the first week gets compared to the rest. But the rest of the month (last 3 weeks) is amazing.

TN here, and unfortunately our fall break is October 14-18, so we will be there with all the crowds! Our two previous trips were several years ago, and were the week after Thanksgiving which was perfect weather, low crowds, and Christmas decorations. While we are excited to just be back at Disney, the crowds are a concern to me. Thankfully my kids are older so we wont have to wait in line for character meets or the "kiddie" rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter