Falling in love with ROFR backup

Noah_t

Mouseketeer
Anyone else become overly enamoured with their backup DVC contract? I am in the process in closing on a 210 point post ROFR BLT contract but I was so sure it was going to get taken I let myself fall for a subsidized 400 point Aulani contract. I have to admit I was a smidge disappointed when it didn't get taken. LOL

Subsidized! Awww, yes, I see how you could 'fall' for the Aulani contract.

Closest I've come that storyline was having my heart broken missing out on a 40 acre parcel behind our property selling via a County Tax Auction. Hubby put a hard cap on my bidding limit and the final sale went well above that limit ... which completely surprised him as he figured the land was mostly worthless. After that there was a 200 acre lot nearby with a reasonable price (better $/acre than the 40 I'd just missed) but just a bit too far to reach from here so we'd need to build on it and relocate; hubby said, "No." Oh, well ... someday my ranch will come.

Enjoy that BLT! I assume most of your DVC travel will be WDW and you'll be glad for the home-resort advantage?

Anyone else become overly enamoured with their backup DVC contract? I am in the process in closing on a 210 point post ROFR BLT contract but I was so sure it was going to get taken I let myself fall for a subsidized 400 point Aulani contract. I have to admit I was a smidge disappointed when it didn't get taken. LOL
Yes and I was somewhat relieved when our BLT contract was taken. I immediately (same hour) submitted on a larger BCV & am very happy I did.

Eeeekkk! No, no such thing as deciding a contract would be ROFR'd and so offering on a "backup" before it was.

Our AKV got ROFRed a few months ago and while we didn’t have a backup at the time, we ended up getting a contract at PVB which I am absolutely ecstatic about!

Careful, early signs of addonidas. Take two aspirin, stay away from the resale sites, and call me in the morning...

My BW contract got taken last month. I've made another offer on a BW, as well as an SSR (and picked up a small BLT contract). There seems to be an uptick in Disney buying back contracts - especially those that don't have any MF's due at closing. If they are doing that to discourage people from buying resale (I don't think they are, but...) then they have grossly underestimated the determination of the audience (as evidenced by this thread) :)

I made sure that i didn't look for another contract while i was waiting for my ROFR. I only looked at new listings which made me pleased with the price i negotiated. I figured i could wait the 30 days or so to find out my fate and if i had to start over i would look for another contract at that time. Of course I was buying Poly so very little chance of them taking it.

Crazy that people are buying their "backup contract" while waiting on ROFR because they think it will get bought back. That seems like rolling the dice because you might end up with both contracts.
I wasn't foolish enough to actually buy it but I was ready to offer as soon as the notice of ROFR came in. Although, ending up with both contracts might of been a win.

I also just placed an offer at BLT which I am 99% sure it will get taken back by Disney since it is stripped with no membership dues until 2021.

So how does the back up plan work? Do you submit an offer on another contract as well or do you just wait until Disney gives you an answer?

Also, if Disney takes it back, do they take it back at the price The buyer and seller agreed or does Disney buy it back at the original price the buyer was asking for?

Last edited:
I was very fortunate to find 150 points at BCV. I offered a fair price with little chance of getting taken. It is my favorite resort and it is LOADED. Now if only DVC would hurry up and LOAD MY POINTS! :)

I also just placed an offer at BLT which I am 99% sure it will get taken back by Disney since it is stripped with no membership dues until 2021.

So how does the back up plan work? Do you submit an offer on another contract as well or do you just wait until Disney gives you an answer?

Also, if Disney takes it back, do they take it back at the price The buyer and seller agreed or does Disney buy it back at the original price the buyer was asking for?

If you offer on a contract now and they accept its yours to follow thru with. You could end up with 2 contracts.

ROFR means they purchase it for the exact same terms as were negotiated between the buyer and seller.

I was only talking about having my eye on an alternative contract and waiting until Disney decided. Although with how hot the resale market seems to be I imagine it's only a matter of time before offers are submitted with a subject to ROFR on a different contract. Lol

Would it be normal for a stripped contract to be taken? I would think they would pass that one by.

Would it be normal for a stripped contract to be taken? I would think they would pass that one by.

They’ve actually been taking quite a few stripped contracts recently. For DVC they can add their own points or really whatever they want to contracts shot of creating more points to add.

Disney loves to buy back stripped contracts because like [U]KAT4DISNEY[/U] said, "they can add their own points or really whatever they want to contracts shot of creating more points to add." Plus, they don't have to pay any membership dues until the following year. It's a win-win for them.

They’ve actually been taking quite a few stripped contracts recently. For DVC they can add their own points or really whatever they want to contracts shot of creating more points to add.

Thanks for the answer. I’ve only ever seen people worried about loaded contracts with decent deals.(I don’t follow the rofr threads)

They can add points? Really?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter