False Killer Whales from Blue Horizons??

lol i completely forgot about Keto, he was Transferred to SWC @ the age of 4yrs. i was thinking Nootka.. SWF had 10 whales at one point. thanks for clearing that up..lol i know more about the current pod than the early 90's one, back when Unna and Tuar were around..lol

I remember when they had the 10 whales there.It wasnt long ago.Maybe 2 or 3 years at the most.The first time I went to DWS,I talked to Amy one of the trainers.(This was when the trainer used to stand at the exit for pics questions etc.I miss that interaction)I asked if they were going to add more pools, since I thought that they could only hold 10 whales, which was what they had at the time.She told me that the pools could hold 22 whales so there was plenty of room, and they werent planning on adding more tanks that she had heard.
It wasnt long after that, that one of the whales was transfered and a calf was born.Maybe 6 months or so.It was like that for a year or so, that they would drop to 9, a calf would be born.Then Kohana, and Skyla went to Texas, with Taku in the same time period,(I dont remember when off hand)and theyve pretty much been at 8 since then.Occasionally 9.I want to say is was the next calf or 2, when they started opening the stadium after about a week after the birth,so the guests could see the new whale, and the whale could get used to people.Theyve slowly added to it to now its a 15 or 20 minute mini show on the birth.

I go to sea world once sometimes twice a month and must have terrible luck because the false killer whale hasnt performed for me in at least 6 months.

Funny you should mention that.Ihadnt noticed for some odd reason that the false kill whales hadnt been in the show until I saw this thread.Ive seen the show enough times that I zone out sometimes anddont pay attention.I think I need to start paying attention again.

We're going to Seaworld in march for the first time. What on earth is a false killer whale?

A false killer whale is somehwere between a dolphin and and a true killer whale. They are jet black, and have been confused more than once with a true killer whale.Hence the name.

Heres a pic of a True Killer whale.
DSC_0194.jpg

And heres a pic of a Flse Killer whale.

false-killer-whale.jpg

I don't know the names but the matriarch of the pod at SWF decided she didn't want the group to perform at the 2:30 Believe show today. So the trainers explained what was going on and after taking a wait and see approach they where able to get a few of the whales to do a little bit, but not much really and nothing like what I imagine the show would normally have been.

Katina is the main matriarch there-

sometimes Taima and Kayla are the ones who will pout and not do the show..lol I had that happen to me before..lts annoying but it happens.

the false killer whal performed today at 3pm. I don't normally see the show, but i passed by as it was starting. I took a few pictures on my phone... I'll upload as soon as i get home.

I don't know the names but the matriarch of the pod at SWF decided she didn't want the group to perform at the 2:30 Believe show today. So the trainers explained what was going on and after taking a wait and see approach they where able to get a few of the whales to do a little bit, but not much really and nothing like what I imagine the show would normally have been.

Its happened before and itll happen again. Ive seen it happen before also, and can pick out when one or more of the whales decides its quitting time, or there has been something going on by the way they swim in the pool.The way it was described 1 time by a trainer,was that the whales are a big family and like any family have their squabbles, like 1 whale calling anothers mother a beluga or something, then the whale gets upset and throws everything else out of whack.

Alot of times, just by introducing a certain whale to the situation, it can be solved relativly quickly.

Cassied passed away in Dec of 08'....

:( Cassie was the pseudorca that I hugged back in 2001 when I participated in the Trainer for a Day program. So sad to hear that she passed away.

What is going on with Unna...is she still around in Texas or wherever she is now? That was the orca that I interacted with back in 2001 during the Shamu Stadium part of the Trainer program...her and Taima (on her "kiss").

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter