Families with kids that are home from school....

Just curious.... Are you maintaining a schedule with your kids? Making them get up at the same time as they would for school and keep them on a schedule, or are you doing an early summer type deal where they can sleep as late as they want? We are taking a rest day today and I am going to try (fingers crossed) for a reasonable schedule. I am also wondering what we should do for daily activities.....

My DS works at high school level and is a coach. He is texting his athletes a plan every night for the next day. His repeated part is ... get up as usual, get ready, put on real clothes and start your day. Then follows with a work out for sometime during the day. It's just too easy to get in a slouch routine. Once you are slouching it's really tough to get anything else done.

Last edited:
I need recommendations for a cheap tablet for my son to do some school work on. He has special needs and gets easily frustrated with academics, so there is a high likelihood that it will be thrown, cracked, broken, etc. He has a 3 year old Kindle and a 1st gen IPad mini, but neither are able to do much any more. I can work directly with him some, but I'd like to be able to plug him in to some more educational games when I am working from home or helping DD15 with her schoolwork. I'm thinking a newer Kindle, Galaxy Tab A, maybe a Chromebook. Any advice from those who have tried to work with one or more of these?

I'm finding it extremely hard. I have 4 children aged 1,3 7 and 8 and it's just so hard to follow the older two with their work load while the two younger ones want attention. I don't know how home schooling mums manage. I think it's gonna be majorly tough😢
I have a 6 th grader and a now 2 year old. We have always homeschooled, so no difference to us. I will say, homeschooling is much harder now with DD2, she cries, whines, fit throws etc. I have my son's work pre-planned for the week on Sunday nights. He does independent work ( meaning what he can do on his own.... writing assignments, spelling work, history books and questions etc for 2 hours after breakfast. When I put DD2 down for a nap, that is when we do subjects like math and science that may need more explanation. I often check his work after the kids are in bed. While it sounds nice in theory to ' take time for yourself each evening's ....when you homeschool, have you get ones to attend to, laundry to do, breakfast, lunch, dinner to be made and dishes to do.......not going to happen. My DH works from home often, but he is working. I would suggest asking DH to watch the kids on a day off for a couple of hours for you to have a break. Going 24/7 is exhausting, but I disagree with a previous posters....a break each night is not going to happen unless you are sacrificing sleep! Four is more work than my two, so lots of thoughts and just remember to breathe to get through this time. Also delegate a few age appropriate chores to the oldest three!

Last edited:

Honestly I find it more challenging to work from home with my husband working from home...

too true. He needs to go back to work-I almost think he is worse then the kids! At least we each have an office - if I had to share I’d go crazy (well crazier).

I need recommendations for a cheap tablet for my son to do some school work on. He has special needs and gets easily frustrated with academics, so there is a high likelihood that it will be thrown, cracked, broken, etc. He has a 3 year old Kindle and a 1st gen IPad mini, but neither are able to do much any more. I can work directly with him some, but I'd like to be able to plug him in to some more educational games when I am working from home or helping DD15 with her schoolwork. I'm thinking a newer Kindle, Galaxy Tab A, maybe a Chromebook. Any advice from those who have tried to work with one or more of these?
Im not sure what a good tablet might be, but I know scholastic has some good online learning resources. We bought tablets for our kiddos at a pawn shop (Im a cheapo) and put ABC mouse on each of them. They love it.

I need recommendations for a cheap tablet for my son to do some school work on. He has special needs and gets easily frustrated with academics, so there is a high likelihood that it will be thrown, cracked, broken, etc.
Does he use a tablet at school? If so, I recommend getting the same brand. If he is used to an iPad, some functions and apps are different on an Android. DD has special needs and prefers her iPhone rather than the tablets we have (3, all Android).

Our newest tablet is a Galaxy Tab A. It wasn’t expensive and does decent for the family (except DD). I think a good case is key to protecting it, which may cost almost as much as a “cheap” tablet. Several educational games and websites are free right now.

Today was our first day of virtual learning with a 4th grader and kindergartener. We followed a loose schedule. I actually had my 4th grader come up with most of it. I let them sleep in, but everyone was up by 8:30. We did some school work in the morning, then yoga, free time while I showered and did some housework. Then lunch and more school. I said all school work needed to be done by 4:00, but I think it was all done by 3:00. Not too bad. But it’s only been one day, lol.

Neither my H or I can work from home, so I’m going to a part time schedule for the time being. Not good for the paycheck, but it’s necessary right now. My H will be home tomorrow, so I will go to work and he’ll stay home with the kids. Those of you who also have to work at home, I feel for you. It’s got to be incredibly hard.

We have a schedule. With all of us home, it's the only way to maintain sanity- I'm home with the kids all summer and there's no schedule, but we can also leave the house!
M-F the kids have to be up and have eaten by 9 (normally they're up at 6:30 for school so this is plenty of time to sleep in). Then we've blocked off each hour/half hour for some academic time, chores, outside/movement time, free time, etc. It really does help move the day along!

We use Amazon Kindle fires - the cheap non-HD ones. We usually buy one when they're $30. They have a "kids version" that I believe is under warranty and they'll replace it for free if it breaks (I think it comes with a case too) - it's a bit more expensive. My sister has that one because my nephew also has special needs and has broken a few tablets! I'm pretty sure they've gotten it replaced at least once!

Definitely a schedule. I had to remind him brushing his teeth and putting on deodorant is necessary even at home 😂

But sleep in a bit (he naturally is up by 8). He has to do his school In morning and then non-electronics. A walk or two a day.

allowing 2 hours video games in afternoon where he plays with his friends. And a weekend bedtime of 9:30.

he’s 13 so pretty easy. His school is amazing and set up elearning in 48 hours. They already used google classroom a lot so easy transition.

both DH and I working from home and DH’s schedule is flexible. But 2+ months of this...ugh :)

not a tablet but a lot of schools use chrome books because they are easy to navigate

My kids have actually been going to work with me. My oldest spent the afternoon transplanting baby plants into bigger pots in a greenhouse nursery, so maybe she learned something. Unfortunately, neither my husband nor I can stay home from work.

Our state released these guidelines this week (we are closed the rest of the year).

The recommended guidelines for maximum student commitment each day are as follows:
o Pre-K: 30 minutes.
o K-1: 45 minutes
o Grades 2-3: 60 minutes.
o Grades 4-5: 90 minutes.
o Grades 6-12: 30 minutes per teacher for a maximum of three hours per day.

I'm a teacher and I realize that this is not enough time, but I also realize that for the time being this is plenty! This is not homeschooling!!! Homeschooling looks very different.

Lots of families were thrown into this in the last week and they might only have one device and three children are going to share it. This is overwhelming enough for children who can't go to school and overwhelming to parents who have to work and try and do distance learning.

I do think having a routine is important. The routine needs to include more than academics. Games, exercise,outdoor play, art, chores, and free time are just as important.

Families well-being at this crazy time is also just as important.

Just curious.... Are you maintaining a schedule with your kids? Making them get up at the same time as they would for school and keep them on a schedule, or are you doing an early summer type deal where they can sleep as late as they want? We are taking a rest day today and I am going to try (fingers crossed) for a reasonable schedule. I am also wondering what we should do for daily activities.....
The only change in DGD's regular schedule is she doesn't have to dress in her uniform for school (still must be neatly attired though) and she sleeps a bit later in the morning as transport is nil. School still starts and ends at the same time and homework is given out daily. Her school set up a remote learning program that impresses me.

Keeping any sort of a schedule is really rough in our house.

Hubby and I work full time @ jobs we cannot do from home. He is a firefighter and I am a nurse, both in NYC. So not only has work been extremely stressful (understatement of the year) for us, but we come home completely mentally and physically exhausted only to have to home school the kids.

Plus our baby-sitters are usually our parents, who are now not leaving the house. So add in child care issues also.

We are a home schooling family, i keep my kids on different schedules. My 9 year old gets up early so we work on math and english then the 13 year old gets up about 10 works on his math and english while the 9 year old plays. They have some more time off together, play outside etc. In the late afternoon we alternate days for science and history lessons. My kids use time4learning.com for there lessons. We do the same history and science for the 4th and 7th grader. They also have some " fun" math and reading games they play online during the day. Once you have it down its not hard. We have fun learning science together. The kids sometimes really get into history making plays of what they just learned about.

Keeping any sort of a schedule is really rough in our house.

Hubby and I work full time @ jobs we cannot do from home. He is a firefighter and I am a nurse, both in NYC. So not only has work been extremely stressful (understatement of the year) for us, but we come home completely mentally and physically exhausted only to have to home school the kids.

Plus our baby-sitters are usually our parents, who are now not leaving the house. So add in child care issues also.

I saw message from a post-Katrina teacher which helped me view this from a different perspective. Despite all of the missed material those kids grew up to be doctors, lawyers, and anything else they wanted to be.

If keeping up with school-provided lessons or providing your own academic enrichment makes it better for your family, then do it. If you would rather spend the time passing on family recipes or teaching your kids how to play poker, go for it. Some of us are lucky enough to be able to devote all day to enriching our kids lives, others are working twice as hard just to survive. Working from home with 2 kids, one with special needs is even more challenging than I expected, and I never thought it would be easy. Do what you can do. The goal is not perfection, so don't be so hard on yourself. My son's math lesson today was playing Monopoly. Use the time you have with your kids however you think is best. There are more important things than academics. As a professional educator for almost 20 years, I give you permission to let it go!

My wife is keeping the two on the same schedule as when school was in session. They had been out until this Friday, but over the weekend that was extended to 4/24. My daughter is issued a laptop by the middle school normally, so had that with her already. They are still developing Remote Learning for her and are having a test of the system this Thursday afternoon. Once hammered out, her schoolwork will begin again.

My son on the other hand, is 4th grade and his teachers are even still forbidden from entering the school to develop schoolwork from their in-school system and using copiers. When they all went home on Friday, 3/13, none knew they wouldn't return for many weeks. Even my son has personal belongings in his Home Room that he fusses about even today. It was all so sudden and so complete. We fear the elementary school might have to repeat next year.

But yes, in the mean time, they stay on a school schedule at home. They aren't allowed to stay up past 7:30 at night already and that remains in place. The only time my wife bends on that is at Walt Disney World! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter