Family all with autism

ice blue sassy

Earning My Ears
Hi everybody, this is my first post here.

We live in Australia and are planning a trip to DL California in February. I am sorry if this has been posted before!

Both my children (8 year old boy and 6 year old girl), my husband and myself are all officially diagnosed autistic, we all have varying issues, husband and son are medicated for severe anxiety and don't do well in queues or crowds. Daughter doesn't do well in sun and heat. We were recently at Universal in Singapore and my husband passed out in a queue while waiting to ride. My son will melt down and injure himself when he becomes over stimulated, out of all of us he needs the most support.

I have been looking online and there is conflicting advice as to what is available to people with disabilities and what 'proof' is required. I understand that we should present at guest services on entering the park and they supply another fast pass or something to that extent. I have never before gone down the route of looking for 'special treatment' due to our disabilities and don't feel good about it.

Anyway thank you all for your help

it is not a fast pass. the DAS allows you to wait in a different spot rather than in line. you will need to explain why X person cannot wait in line. if the stand by line is one hour long, the DAS allows you to come back in 50 minutes and enter the fast pass+ line.

if at any point you expect to split up, then EVERYONE with issues standing in line must have a DAS.

Also to note, there will still likely be a wait once you enter the FP line. It is just less than the regular line. At WDW, depending on the attraction this can still be about 15-20 minutes, I am not sure about DL.

Note: 15-20 minutes is about the longest I find I wait for busier attractions. I have had longer if an attraction breaks done, but most are less than 5 minutes overall. I just want to point this out to prepare for some FP wait.

It really helps to go early to the parks. It's less crowded.

You go to guest services for a DAS. This helps to shorten the wait, but doesn't eliminate a wait. You get a time to come back for a ride, then you wait somewheres else or do something else for that time period.

You can also do fastpass.

The first post in this link explains the DAS at the California parks: https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...-1-update-12-7-14-das-tied-to-ticket.3179460/
The DAS is need-based and not diagnosis-based. So you will have to explain each person’s needs as related to waiting in a queue environment. As you know with your own family, different people with the same diagnosis have different needs. Some members of your party may or may not qualify; nobody here can guarantee that. If your party may split, or there is an attraction someone won’t do, the DAS return time can only be used if the DAS-holder rides.

Enjoy your vacation!

Hi there! I’m on the spectrum too and visit DL quite often. Many of the queues are difficult for me to wait in, so I use the DAS pass. I initially had a really hard time accepting to myself that seeking accommodations such as a DAS pass was okay. Honestly, it has completely changed my ability to visit and experience the parks. Prior to seeking a DAS pass, it was highly unusual for me to ride any rides at the park and I typically had at least one meltdown while visiting. I can’t remember the last time I had a meltdown at the parks and I actually ride the rides now since I looked into getting a DAS pass. It has been so helpful and allowed visiting the parks to be a pleasant experience for my wife and me rather than something we later regret because of how visiting impacts me.

In terms of special treatment, you’re still waiting just like everyone else in line. You’re just doing it mostly somewhere else. You’re not getting unlimited FP or going straight to the front of the line. At DL, for the non-FP rides, you usually end up going up through the exit for your return and typically still have to do a little waiting. It bypasses a lot of the queue environments including the crowding of people in a line, the sensory input from the queues themselves (the sounds, the variable lighting conditions, etc), and helps prevent you from waiting out in the sun since a lot of the DL queues are outdoors for significant portions and not well covered (DCA is a little better about that). If you go to guest services and explain your needs (not diagnosis) about why you or the members of your family can’t wait in the traditional queue, they can help figure out what accommodations would be best suited for you guys.

At DL, the MaxPass is HUGELY helpful to reduce how much walking back and forth across the parks you do. I struggle with heat and crowds, and using the MaXPass allows me to avoid walking through crowds back and forth across the park in the heat so much. It is an add-on you can purchase with your tickets. Watch out for the shows in the parks (the parades, fireworks, fantasmic, world of color). The crowds get insane for those and can be difficult to navigate. I’ve had people sit on top of me waiting for fantasmic. If you’re interested in the shows, buying dining packages that allow access to reserved viewing areas can be helpful since they’re limited in the number of people that can access that area and generally slightly less crowded.

If it is really sunny, no matter the temperature, someone with sun issues can be overwhelmed. My sugar levels used to drop after being in direct sun for more than 30 minutes, even in 40 F weather.

I was hypoglycemic in my early 20s and I actually had more issues with sunshine in the fall and winter because it seemed more intense when the sun was actually out.

In Anaheim in February?

Yep. It is not unusual for it to hit 80F during the day in February. The nights are definitely cool, but the afternoon can be brutal if your sensitive to the sun and heat. I struggle in anything over 75 and definitely have issues year round. I was just out hiking today around 2 PM near the coast about 30 minutes south of Anaheim. The high today was maybe 70 with a nearly clear sky, and I was having some problems. I nearly passed out at one point.

Thank you everyone so much for your responses, I really appreciate it. May I ask what the wait time is like at Guest Relations? Do all members have to stand in the queue? Or can I stand and then call my husband and kids over when our time is ok. Do they take written note? While I am verbal I get flustered and clamour up in these situations, a lot easier to hand over a piece of paper!

Both my kids are thrill seekers so I can’t see us splitting up but I think I was going to try for us all, but more hopeful for husband and son to receive the pass. How many people can be tagged onto the pass... ie if we wanted to stay together and only son ended up with a DAS?

Is the DAS usable at both Calif adv park and DL as we will have a park hopper pass.

We will be there before opening and aim to get big popular important rides out of way first, we love theme parks. I love the idea about seeing the shows from the restaurant! We are going on week days in a generally off peak sort of time.

We have decided on 3 day park hopper with max pass.

In Australia we have severe weather extremes, my daughter complains about the sun even in the winter, doesn’t have to be hot. She wears sunglasses out and about and keeps all the blinds down. It’s all part of the severe sensory processing issues that go along side autism.

The DAS is issued to an individual and will have that person’s picture attached. Up to 6 others may be included with the party. It will be good at both parks for the length of your stay.

You may stand in line at Guest Relations but the others need to be nearby and you can call them over when needed. You can write your own note; I suggest a short bullet-point list, but also be prepared to answer any questions the CM may ask. They will not read a doctor’s note. If you had planned to arrive early and try to get some rides done before the crowds, you can go back to Guest Relations for the DAS after that.

Enjoy your vacation.

Thank you everyone so much for your responses, I really appreciate it. May I ask what the wait time is like at Guest Relations? Do all members have to stand in the queue? Or can I stand and then call my husband and kids over when our time is ok. Do they take written note? While I am verbal I get flustered and clamour up in these situations, a lot easier to hand over a piece of paper!

Both my kids are thrill seekers so I can’t see us splitting up but I think I was going to try for us all, but more hopeful for husband and son to receive the pass. How many people can be tagged onto the pass... ie if we wanted to stay together and only son ended up with a DAS?

Is the DAS usable at both Calif adv park and DL as we will have a park hopper pass.

We will be there before opening and aim to get big popular important rides out of way first, we love theme parks. I love the idea about seeing the shows from the restaurant! We are going on week days in a generally off peak sort of time.

In Australia we have severe weather extremes, my daughter complains about the sun even in the winter, doesn’t have to be hot. She wears sunglasses out and about and keeps all the blinds down. It’s all part of the severe sensory processing issues that go along side autism.

I totally understand the struggling to communicate in these situations. I usually have a bullet point note I’ve written out that I can read from and my wife (who is not on the spectrum) will often jump in if things are really going poorly for me. Most of the CMs usually start issuing the pass for me while I’m still trying to explain why I need it, though a few have been very rude to me (telling me things like “well it is going to be a busy day so you should just re-think your choice to be here”). Typically they ask a few questions for clarification to better understand your needs, like “how long can you wait in a line?” to make sure they are providing the best accommodations for you and your party, so it is good to have thought about answers ahead of time that really focus on what you need and what you can do. The restaurants don’t actually have viewing of any of the shows unfortunately, but through the dining packages you can get a pass to a reserved viewing area that has restricted access so it is less crowded.

Hope you have a lovely trip!

One thing I want to make sure is clear: you could potentially get a DAS for All 4of you. But each of you can only be virtually waiting for one ride at a time using the DAS system. So you can’t go to 4 rides and get a DAS return time for All 4 you for all 4 rides. You can have a DAS return time and a Fastpass at the same time. You just can’t double up on DAS return times.

Thank you everyone so much for your responses, I really appreciate it. May I ask what the wait time is like at Guest Relations? no way to determine ahe4ad of time. could be 2 minutes, could be4 an hour. sometimes they will send CM out into the line to ask what you in line for, which can help. Do all members have to stand in the queue? not necessary although when the picture is taken they will need to be there. Or can I stand and then call my husband and kids over when our time is ok. Do they take written note? yup While I am verbal I get flustered and clamour up in these situations, a lot easier to hand over a piece of paper!

Both my kids are thrill seekers so I can’t see us splitting up but I think I was going to try for us all, but more hopeful for husband and son to receive the pass. How many people can be tagged onto the pass... ie if we wanted to stay together and only son ended up with a DAS? the official limit is 6 plus the pass holder.

Is the DAS usable at both Calif adv park and DL as we will have a park hopper pass. yup. and for the length of your stay as well. not need to do GS every day

February SHOULD be okay as far as extremely hot weather. but a covered stroller may be helpful as far as cocooning her from the elements a little. the good thing about DL is it is WAY smaller than WDW and ( to me) much easier to get around. are you staying on site? the resorts are pretty much all walkable from either park. and Downtown Disney is in the middle for a break.

At Guest Services inside the park? That's time to request a Supervisor.

Yeah I can recognize that after the fact, but in the moment I can barely communicate, so I can’t even think of asking for a supervisor :( It is a really tough situation.

B3595AFA-3D3B-423B-8E6D-08D86DCE5A20.jpeg
Yep. It is not unusual for it to hit 80F during the day in February. The nights are definitely cool, but the afternoon can be brutal if your sensitive to the sun and heat. I struggle in anything over 75 and definitely have issues year round. I was just out hiking today around 2 PM near the coast about 30 minutes south of Anaheim. The high today was maybe 70 with a nearly clear sky, and I was having some problems. I nearly passed out at one point.
Sun intensity might have little to nothing to do with temperature. The temperature where I am right now is 0 degrees F.
Our house temperature is set at 73 F. We are wearing sweatpants and sweatshirts, but earlier today, I was sitting by the window where the bright sun was coming thru and I was HOT, even with my sweatshirt off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter