Family all with autism

Yeah I can recognize that after the fact, but in the moment I can barely communicate, so I can’t even think of asking for a supervisor :( It is a really tough situation.

Ohh I’m so sorry that’s happened, advocating for yourself is so hard :-( it’s one of the things I’m worried about. Luckily the ability to hyper focus has me obsessing over being prepared so hopefully that will help. It looks ‘bad’ that my entire family is on the spectrum, we are all verbal except for my daughter (selective mutism) so it’s not ‘obvious’ to someone initially. I doubt all 4 of us will get a DAS, I think my son and husband have more than enough evidence to be accepted.

Ohh I’m so sorry that’s happened, advocating for yourself is so hard :-( it’s one of the things I’m worried about. Luckily the ability to hyper focus has me obsessing over being prepared so hopefully that will help. It looks ‘bad’ that my entire family is on the spectrum, we are all verbal except for my daughter (selective mutism) so it’s not ‘obvious’ to someone initially. I doubt all 4 of us will get a DAS, I think my son and husband have more than enough evidence to be accepted.

Yeah it is definitely not obvious that I’m struggling with a neurodevelopmental disability. I manage to blend really well, so I understand how hard it is. In that particular incident, it was just before they had switched to a digital system and you had to sign your name on the paper DAS. I totally spelled my name wrong I was so overwhelmed. My wife felt so bad for me. Thankfully, that kind of experience has been the exception for me rather than the norm. Most CMs are happy to help you find a way to access and take in the parks.

Yeah I can recognize that after the fact, but in the moment I can barely communicate, so I can’t even think of asking for a supervisor :( It is a really tough situation.

We have talked about it here before; I think it was our @gap2368 found an App you may want to download for your phone (I have an iPhone - not sure if this is available for Android, but I seem to recall hearing that it is) for future use.

It's called "Emergency Chat" (the developer's name is Leonard Elezi) and if you get overwhelmed and can't talk - but could still text - it allows you to type a message on your phone and then hand it to another person who can then type back, or speak verbally to you. There is a splash screen that you can customize to let people know that you are overwhelmed and can't speak right now.

If you think you might become overwhelmed in a specific situation, you can even "preset" some text that would provide the basic info you need to communicate in that instance.

I know it might not be applicable for every situation, but it has proven helpful for two of my family members who sometimes become overwhelmed.

I just came back from a trip with my 2 adult sons with disabilities in early December. We love Disneyland! Anyway, I think other people's advice that you purchase the MaxPass is good if you can afford it. I would also recommend that you follow a prescribed park touring plan from within Disneyland Daily's website or the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland. We followed the latter and honestly we never had to purchase the MaxPass. ARRIVE EARLY! We were in line to get into the parks 45 minutes before official opening. We were usually one of the first 5 or 10 in line, then they usually let people into the park before official opening. Our first day we rode 6 rides in Fantasyland in the first hour. We did use DAS for some rides and the cast members were very understanding. Every day we followed one of the plans and they worked beautifully. We even had time to go back and ride some rides more than once.

Sun intensity might have little to nothing to do with temperature. The temperature where I am right now is 0 degrees F.
Our house temperature is set at 73 F. We are wearing sweatpants and sweatshirts, but earlier today, I was sitting by the window where the bright sun was coming thru and I was HOT, even with my sweatshirt off.
Very few people realize that the sun can burn even in the winter, regardless of temperature.

My doctor has been very clear with me. The sun is the sun. And you should stay out of it or cover up. It doesn't matter if it is 100 degrees or 30 degrees. Either one has equal chance of triggering a flare in my lupus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter