"Family" bathrooms?

Would you mind sharing or PMing me why the Beach Club pools aren't accessible? We were thinking about spending a long weekend there next year.

Lindsay, I will pm you more about this. But briefly they have cement transfer steps at all 3 of the BC pools. This may work well for someone with upper body strength, but does not work for my DH at all. The only zero entry area is the sand/play area for kids. There is no pool lift or any other way to get into the pools.

To the original poster, call Special Reservations at 407-939-7807 and they will mail you the Guides for Disabled Travelers (or something like that) for each park, they made planning our first long trip so much easier and they were easy to carry around because they a folded up to the size of the park maps.

Suzanne princess:

To the original poster, call Special Reservations at 407-939-7807 and they will mail you the Guides for Disabled Travelers (or something like that) for each park, they made planning our first long trip so much easier and they were easy to carry around because they a folded up to the size of the park maps.

Suzanne princess:
You can also get them on the internet.
In the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board, there is a link to the webpage that has the text from the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for each park.
You can use that for planning and then get actual copies of the Guidebooks when you get there. You can pick them up at the wheelchair/ECV rental area, Guest Relations and also usually at your resort.

You can also get them on the internet.
In the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board, there is a link to the webpage that has the text from the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for each park.
You can use that for planning and then get actual copies of the Guidebooks when you get there. You can pick them up at the wheelchair/ECV rental area, Guest Relations and also usually at your resort.

I read about them in the Passporter before coming to the DIS (I think), they come in real handy.

Those of you who have had trouble with the companion restrooms should contact Disney and complain. That way they will know there is an issue and hopefully will do something to fix the problem.

If you don't complain then the people who can do something to fix the problem probably won't know there is a problem that needs to be looked into.

this thread jogged my memory about two incidents - not in WDW, but getting there..

first, we were in the airport and needed the special bathroom....it was occupied so we waited.....and waited.....and waited....and waited...
finally the door opened and who marches out?....
an airport worker who was using the bathroom to change her clothes (back into civilian from her uniform)...
she was in there for a very long time...
how incredibly rude....and of course no apology..

and the second incident....this was far worse...
we travelled in first class so that my sister could be right near to the bathroom.....there are far fewer people in first class, so the bathroom is usually available, and it's nearby (we were in the first row)...
so we get on the plane and everyone is sitting down and the plane begins to roll and the flight attendant comes onto the speaker and says that the bathroom in first class is broken and we have to all use the bathroom in the BACK of the plane (on a very long 757)...
this was northwest (we don't call it northworst for nothing)...

so i immediately speak with the flight attendant to reconfirm what she just said....yes, the first class bathroom is broken...only the bathroom in the back is working.
what???? but we were just in an airport (their hub in detroit)...did you know that it was broken before we left?
yes, they knew it was broken....this was already their second flight that day with a broken toilet..
what?????
i was outraged.....we had specifically flown first class to be near the bathroom up front...
and the man behind my sister also needed assistance walking...

i couldn't believe it...
so for the entire flight my sister had to walk the entire length of the plane (with me holding on to her, and let me tell you, she doesn't like to be so visibly assisted)...

anyway....this happened last year...exactly a year ago...

this thread jogged my memory about two incidents - not in WDW, but getting there..

first, we were in the airport and needed the special bathroom....it was occupied so we waited.....and waited.....and waited....and waited...
finally the door opened and who marches out?....
an airport worker who was using the bathroom to change her clothes (back into civilian from her uniform)...
she was in there for a very long time...
how incredibly rude....and of course no apology..

and the second incident....this was far worse...
we travelled in first class so that my sister could be right near to the bathroom.....there are far fewer people in first class, so the bathroom is usually available, and it's nearby (we were in the first row)...
so we get on the plane and everyone is sitting down and the plane begins to roll and the flight attendant comes onto the speaker and says that the bathroom in first class is broken and we have to all use the bathroom in the BACK of the plane (on a very long 757)...
this was northwest (we don't call it northworst for nothing)...

so i immediately speak with the flight attendant to reconfirm what she just said....yes, the first class bathroom is broken...only the bathroom in the back is working.
what???? but we were just in an airport (their hub in detroit)...did you know that it was broken before we left?
yes, they knew it was broken....this was already their second flight that day with a broken toilet..
what?????
i was outraged.....we had specifically flown first class to be near the bathroom up front...
and the man behind my sister also needed assistance walking...

i couldn't believe it...
so for the entire flight my sister had to walk the entire length of the plane (with me holding on to her, and let me tell you, she doesn't like to be so visibly assisted)...

anyway....this happened last year...exactly a year ago...

That is awful!!! One trip you & your sis won't quickly forget about! The extra cost must have really ticked you off, I know I would have been fuming for months over that one.:mad:

That is awful!!! One trip you & your sis won't quickly forget about! The extra cost must have really ticked you off, I know I would have been fuming for months over that one.:mad:

the poor man behind us...he was paralyzed on one side of his body and used a cane ....but he couldn't use his other hand, since it's paralyzed....and now he has to walk all the way to the back of the plane....i felt awful...his elderly wife walked with him, but it wasn't easy for them....

at least we only used frequent flyer points to upgrade and not 'real' money...
although the points are real and we used them...
but having to go through that...
and my sister is recently disabled, so she's had a difficult time coming to terms with her severe reduction in mobility....so add this onto it....she was so embarrassed to be such an intense focus of attention....
terrible...

If I remember correctly, The door shows "occupied" to who ever comes up to it when it is in use. Are people so daft they can't figure out someone is inside????????

Deb
You'd think... :confused3

The poster whose son want her not to make a scene might instead consider printing up some business cards with a brief explanation of the ACTUAL purpose of these restrooms, to hand out discreetly... ;). You know - "Excuse me, ma'am, I think you dropped this".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter