Family cookbook

My recipes are in computer files so it was simple to print out copies for kids, grand kids, friends, for weddings or whatever. I put them in clear plastic sleeves in a binder so they don't get splattered. The company that makes the binders has changed hands, but if you Google Century Photo Recipe Collector you get the idea.

I think it is a great idea. I agree with the idea of letting him try making it following the recipe so he can add any notes to it that will make it more clear for himself in the future. I know my mother’s cards have lots of little handwritten notes to herself. I snapped photos of some of them and stored them in a recipe folder on my phone.

I wanted to add--I also have a son on the spectrum. He's not much for cooking alone--I can barely get him to microwave a can of soup! But, he does cook with me sometimes. Also, one of his favorites we call, "Robert's Seasoned Rice". This is literally 11/2 cups rice, 3 cups water, and a packet of onion soup mix. It doesn't get much simpler! But, if I ask him to make it, he pulls out his cookbook and studiously follow the recipe. It's pretty funny, but it makes him happy, and if he gains confidence in the kitchen, it's all good.

Never thought to put onion soup mix in rice. That sounds good!

I love that it had general knowledge kind of stuff too. I think I want to do that. My son had to ask me today how to prepare mushrooms and a bell pepper, he had no idea how to clean them and cut them, I've always done it for him.
I have a Betty Crocker cookbook I got as a wedding gift 23 years ago that has general basic stuff, but honestly, google is my most used resource when it comes to food prep if there is something I don't know how to do.

I find that I like to use a basic cookbook, rather than Chef Google, when I'm looking up common recipes (hard-boiled eggs, a roast, etc.). I go online--Pinterest, mostly--for more interesting stuff. I'll probably get my younger three good, basic cookbooks before they move out. I know DS13 was having fun paging through "Joy of Cooking", just the other day. My oldest is vegetarian, and she gets most of her recipes/cooking info online, which is fine. I just like actual cookbooks. One of the nice things about an actual book is, on your way to finding the recipe for lemon bars, you can wander by several other interesting recipes you might like to try. Plus, they've been tested--my biggest gripe about Pinterest is, it becomes very obvious when the poster didn't try out the recipe as written.

OTOH, I've had a lot of success with cooking websites--Betty Crocker, Kraft, and so forth.

I find that I like to use a basic cookbook, rather than Chef Google, when I'm looking up common recipes (hard-boiled eggs, a roast, etc.). I go online--Pinterest, mostly--for more interesting stuff. I'll probably get my younger three good, basic cookbooks before they move out. I know DS13 was having fun paging through "Joy of Cooking", just the other day. My oldest is vegetarian, and she gets most of her recipes/cooking info online, which is fine. I just like actual cookbooks. One of the nice things about an actual book is, on your way to finding the recipe for lemon bars, you can wander by several other interesting recipes you might like to try. Plus, they've been tested--my biggest gripe about Pinterest is, it becomes very obvious when the poster didn't try out the recipe as written.

OTOH, I've had a lot of success with cooking websites--Betty Crocker, Kraft, and so forth.
I collect cookbooks and use them weekly, but when it comes to things I need to see how to do (I'm talking prep type stuff, not recipes) I use youtube. Just last week, I looked up how to cut up muskmelon. Never done it before and a video is the easiest way for me to see how it's done. I don't use Pinterest, for anything.

I collect cookbooks and use them weekly, but when it comes to things I need to see how to do (I'm talking prep type stuff, not recipes) I use youtube. Just last week, I looked up how to cut up muskmelon. Never done it before and a video is the easiest way for me to see how it's done. I don't use Pinterest, for anything.
I prefer not to use Pinterest for food related stuff, though I did find a great, easy recipe for homemade butter mints on Pinterest, but that's the only recipe I have found that was any good. I love Pinterest for crafts--I just made a felt flower crown for the Mickey grapevine wreath on my door with instructions from Pinterest.

It makes sense that Youtube would be good for, say, boning a fish or something else where a visual would help. I know my oldest uses online videos a lot when she cooks. Maybe I'm too old and crotchety to think of it? In any event, I'm less likely to be assembling a croquembouche and more likely to need 6 hard-boiled eggs, but that's just my style of cooking. Although DS13 spotted a croquembouche while he was flipping through my cookbook, and thought it looked cool. Maybe the real lesson here is, "Don't let my son look through the cookbooks"?

At any rate, everyone should at least have an idea of where to find a recipe, whether in a book, online, or asking for help. I imagine online is a great source for those who need to cook for one, or have special diets, and so forth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!