Family of 4-5 vacation in Chicago...public transportation?

descovy

DIS Veteran
We have this blasted Wyndham timeshare that my Husband "inherited" Sorry its just not the way we tend to travel. We're only allowed to use it every other year. Some years its hard to find a good time for everyone.

Thinking this June of going to the Wyndham resort in Chicago. There will be 4-5 of us depending if my oldest can get time off work. (2 adults 2-3 teens) Airfare is reasonable.

Stupid question I'm sure, but how do we handle transportation with so many of us? Can Uber/Cabs accommodate us?

Our usual family vacations have been by car. I guess we could rent a car, but thought with doing everything in the Magnificent Mile area (only there 4 days) that it wouldn't be worthwhile when accounting for parking, etc...

Sorry, I'm a suburban dummy. No public transportation where I am. I just motor everyone around by family minivan.

If you're referring to the Wyndham Riverfront on Wacker, you can do it all with public transportation much easier than driving. There is even a visitor's pass that will give you the ability to use the subway/the "EL" as it's usually referred to, as well as the buses.

ETA -- look up the CTA website for info. about passes and some idea of the routes. You will be able to catch a train at Ohare & ride downtown & either walk or transfer to another line or bus nearer your destination.

Last edited:
Great, so really no need for Cabs/Uber? I guess thats what Im concerned about with a group of 4-5

Chicago public transportation is more than adequate if you're in the downtown area. I *hate* driving there, between the cost of parking and the traffic, so when we go we take the train and just walk and use the L/subway or an occasional Uber (the XL service tier does accommodate 5) for longer trips/if weather is bad.

Chicago public transportation is more than adequate if you're in the downtown area. I *hate* driving there, between the cost of parking and the traffic, so when we go we take the train and just walk and use the L/subway or an occasional Uber (the XL service tier does accommodate 5) for longer trips/if weather is bad.

:thumbsup2

Besides, I always say that anyone visiting Chicago should take a long but rewarding walk from the Aquarium all the way to the Water Tower, you'll experience some of the best sites & views Chicago has to offer. And between the CTA, Water Taxi & Uber You'll save lots of parking money, get there quicker and you won't have to deal not only with the traffic, but also the time driving around unknown city. Read more below:

https://www.smartdestinations.com/blog/getting-around-chicago/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g35805-s303/Chicago:Illinois:Public.Transportation.html

We are a family of five, and we always walk in Chicago. We have done what the above person has done and walked from the Magnificent Mile area to the Field Museum. We do take a taxi to Wrigley field.

Yup, both ohare (blue line) and midway (orange line) have El trains that go right downtown to the loop, and most things are pretty much in walking distance from there. Unless you are driving out to the suburbs, I'd go car-less.

Public transportation is easy in Chicago. A day pass on the El and bus is just $10 per person for as many trips as you need. You buy your pass at the automated kiosk at the station or from any bus driver. It's pretty easy to figure out where to go and is much cheaper than trying to park your car.

But, if you're staying downtown, you can rent the bikes as well. It's a lot of fun to ride up and down the lakeshore. The museum area to navy pier is easy and you don't have to go on the streets, although you can if you want.

Consider getting a city pass for all the venues you want to see. It saves a bundle on entry fees and in some locations lets you get into the building through a separate line than the day pass purchasers.

We did a 4 day weekend in Chicago with our young children and walked the entire time. Actually, we did take one cab to the Lincoln Park Zoo, but that was it. Walking in Chicago is pretty great.

The Blue Line L to/from the airport to downtown is a tourist attraction in itself.

The Blue Line L to/from the airport to downtown is a tourist attraction in itself.

YES!! We stayed at the airport the last time we were there and my cousin got married near downtown, so the train was it. Cheap entertainment, for sure!!

Unlike in some cities, a CTA Ventra visitor pass gets you unlimited rides on BOTH the L trains and CTA buses, which are very well-signed and easy to navigate. You can choose from unlimited-ride visitor passes, or regular passes with money deposited on them to pay by the ride; which is the best value for you will depend on if you are the kind of folks who enjoy walking or not. (If you are big walkers, you might get better value paying by the ride and spending less for the pass. Also note that in Chicago, "day" passes are timed in 24-hour periods rather than calendar days, so you can use them on contiguous days if you watch your travel times.)

While you certainly can buy your Ventra passes in the City (station vending machines or any CVS, Walgreens, or Jewel/Osco store, for instance), I would suggest that you order them in advance from CTA. The primary reason for my advising this is that the airport vending machines sometimes run out of new cards, but there is a bonus in that along with the passes, CTA will send you a nice large transit map (even a large-print version if you request it), that you can use to study routes in advance, so that you can make a few notes about the routes you are most likely to take to certain attractions, and also to get a good feel for how easy it is to get around. You can also take your time registering the cards on the CTA app, so that you can refill the value from your phone and not have to visit a vending machine to add value.

Chicago in summertime is a blast! There are always lots of outdoor activities going on; because Chicagoans really treasure sunshine and never let it go to waste in the summer.

PS: I don't know what museum-type things you'll want to do, but the summer entrance lines at certain museums can be insanely long; the CityPass can help with that. (The worst lines I've seen have been at Shedd, the Field, and at Science & Industry. We go 2x a year most years and have found it a money-saver to buy family memberships at the Field and S&I, especially since we often drive up. In those cases we usually do S&I on our first or last day, because the membership there includes free parking. Also, it's a bit of secret-code thing in that you have to ask to get it, but there is a discount on memberships at S&I if you live more than 300 miles from Chicago.) It's especially important to note that at the Field, things like the coal mine and most special travelling exhibitions are not included in the base ticket price, so if there are special things you want to see, add up the fees and balance that against the cost of a membership, because a family membership usually does include a certain number of passes to the special attractions.

Last edited:
We were just in Chicago this past weekend and only used Lyft because it was FREEZING. We were there over Memorial Day weekend and just walked everywhere. We saw Hamilton (incredible) and went to the Shedd Aquarium, if you go, be there when they open, any later and there is a longggg line to enter.

There are often groupons for kayak tours on the river downtown. I went in the evening, so the trip out was as the sun set and the trip back was at night. It was beautiful.

The only time I use PT in the city is when I hop on the redline heading to Wrigley for a game, (or in a hurry worrying I am going to miss my train) otherwise we walk, like, everywhere. Chicago is super walk-able. I have lived here 55 years and STILL take pictures every chance I get. So much to see that you miss sitting in traffic. If you are not comfy at night there are plenty of cabs/uber that can accomodate 5, lots of SUV ones. There is also the double Decker bus and water taxi (which I love) as options. Not the most direct route but pretty cool

Thanks all, Turns out we are going in March over Spring Break instead. On one end I'm happy, my oldest can come, and this might be the last full family trip. But bummed I won't see Chicago in the summer.

I'm thinking the weather will be like our typical TX winter. Thanks for the tips about the Ventra card, that may be the way to go.

Any ideas to celebrate a 16th birthday? Seems we will be doing the typical tourist stuff. Good place for Birthday dinner? Just want her to feel special.

Oh and I'm kicking myself... I bought season passes to TUTS theatre in Houston so we could se Hamilton. Made a kick@ present for Christmas though. So we won't be seeing Hamilton in Chicago.

Make sure everyone has a good pr. of lightweight longjohns. Chicago in March is still usually pretty cold (usually upper 20's to low-40's), and REALLY breezy, so it's definitely layering time in early Spring. The upside is that the major museums will be much less crowded, and St. Patrick's Day celebrations are quite impressive if you happen to be there on the weekend of the 17th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter