family of 6

tosha25italia

Earning My Ears
For 6 people, is a suite with kitchenette preferred to 2 separate bedrooms? what are the pros and cons of each and your recommendations?

Depends on who the 6 are. Are we taking all adults, young kids, etc. personally, we prefer a kitchenette so we save on food, especially with kids but if you have mostly teens or adults, go with 2 rooms for bathrooms!!!!!

We had two adjoining rooms in AoA cheaper than a suite or kitchenette. We didn't want to cook, but wanted the grandparents (us) to be able to babysit the grands for a little while at night so parents could go out. The connecting door let us put them to bed and keep the door cracked between our rooms to check on them.

It depends on the needs for your family and the ages of the children.

Connecting rooms are never guaranteed so getting 2 rooms with the hope they may be connecting may not be a good idea. Do you plan to eat meals inside the room? Just have snacks, coffee, cereal inside the room?

When/how long is your trip? Party ages? Trip style, relaxed or commando?
Renting points might be a good. Like mjkacmom said, it can end up costing less than a mod. Upgrade from mod to deluxe for not much more, and recoup the extra money between having the kitchen and saving on luggage fees w/ easy laundry access. 2BR is much more comfortable and convenient IMO. It's worth comparing.

Take this example for next Nov 12-19:
2BR at AKL 229 pts = around $4k for 7 nights - 8 days
2 standard rooms at CBR for same dates = same price.
Rack rate discounts at the mod will save $, and different resort comparisons will vary.

Also, you can hold 2 reservations with deposits (2 standards vs 2BR), especially if it's far out. Then wait to see if a free food offer matches your Mod dates. That could be the better deal for your party by removing food budget cost, to make giving up deluxe digs worth it!

Always good to know your options :earsboy:

As others have said, this will vary based on who the members of your party are and how you plan to use the space. We're a family of 6 and have done both, both on property and off. There are advantages of each, but ultimately it might come down to knowing how you'll use the space. Also think about how you'd feel if your two rooms were spread at opposite ends of the property. Been there. It's manageable, but not ideal.

I would suggest renting points and secure a 2br dvc villa. I have never heard anyone say they had "too much room". We rented numerous time before we became owners. I loved staying at BCV for Food & Wine, AKL for Christmas and I look forward to Copper Creek in May.

I really don't think you will be disappointed with a 2br. have fun planning!

When looking into a suite, look at the beds available. A lot of suites have sleeping areas for 6, not beds. A pull out couch, a single sleeper chair, etc. Would everyone be comfortable sleeping without being in actual beds? How about the privacy issue, most accommodate sleeping in the "living room" area of the suite.

We are a family of 6 (2 parents and 4 sons.) Our last trip for the whole family was about 2 years ago and we stayed in a cabin at Fort Wilderness campground. Our sons were 17, 16, 13, and 11 at the time. We had the boys stay in the bedroom and Dh and I slept on the pull out sofa in the living room.

It worked out fine for us but I know a lot of families wouldn't have liked sharing one bathroom like that. One thing that helped us was we were there for one of the RunDisney race weekends, so on any given morning some of us were getting up/dressed/out of the cabin well before 6 am--leaving less people to need the bathroom at "normal" waking times.

For me, the biggest factor in deciding between a suite and 2 separate rooms is how your family would be able to handle if the two separate rooms were on opposite sides of a large resort. If your party of 6 is 2 parents and 4 kids under the age of 10, that would mean one parent plus 2 kids in one room and the other parent plus 2 kids in a different room. That would be unacceptable for many families.

But if your party of 6 includes "adult children" over the age of 18 and you'd be ok with some of your party being separated like that, it might be worth looking into.

Depends on who the 6 are. Are we taking all adults, young kids, etc. personally, we prefer a kitchenette so we save on food, especially with kids but if you have mostly teens or adults, go with 2 rooms for bathrooms!!!!!
thanks! kids 10, 9, 7, 4 and parents!

I would suggest renting points and secure a 2br dvc villa. I have never heard anyone say they had "too much room". We rented numerous time before we became owners. I loved staying at BCV for Food & Wine, AKL for Christmas and I look forward to Copper Creek in May.

I really don't think you will be disappointed with a 2br. have fun planning!

Thanks! Is my best bet to plan that 11 months in advance with DavidsDVC? Where have you had success with renting the points?

Thanks! Is my best bet to plan that 11 months in advance with DavidsDVC? Where have you had success with renting the points?
i only rented throught David's, but there are some FB groups also. I don't think i can mention them here though. there are forums on here that rent points also.

With kids that age I would definitely consider Ft wilderness cabins. We loved it there when the kids were smaller. Just like VAfamily1998, we put all the kids(4 of them) in the bedroom and DH and I took the bed in the living room. (It was a Murphy bed in those days) we loved having our own space including the wonderful deck and grill area. Obviously it depends on your budget and how you plan to use the area. We never minded sharing a bathroom, some took morning showers and some took evening ones, but we refuse to eat out every meal for a week and found the kitchen very convenient

Before you book a villa think about how you plan to vacation. As many have already suggested, you need to think about how you plan to tour, what you expect from your resort, and how you want the family to spread out. 2 bedroom villas are nice, but they are not all created equal. We booked OKW and that space was huge, with every comfort of home. Some of us enjoyed it, others (my husband for one) hated staying there. Research where you plan to stay and be sure the resort you choose is laid out in a way that mirrors your vacation style. My family likes a quick walk to the CS restaurant but some of these resorts are very widespread and are not set up for much CS dining.

Consider how you want to travel between the resort and parks. My friend booked the cabins at FT Wilderness, and it was a great fit for her active boys, and her hubby, who needed a place to just sit outside and decompress.

Does theme matter? I believe the value resorts have the most vibrant Disney themeing, but no ability for real cooking in the room. DO you want to cook or will a light breakfast or lunch carry your family?

For 6 people, is a suite with kitchenette preferred to 2 separate bedrooms? what are the pros and cons of each and your recommendations?

I have done both of your choices, and my answer would be, it depends.

Does you budget cover both options? Is space the most important thing, or is location? Are you driving to the parks or using Disney transportation?

For my family, we have found location is our prime consideration, space is the second.

I have done both of your choices, and my answer would be, it depends.

Does you budget cover both options? Is space the most important thing, or is location? Are you driving to the parks or using Disney transportation?

For my family, we have found location is our prime consideration, space is the second.

For us as well. We liked OKW 2 bedroom villa but unless my nieces who like to decompress from their jobs are with us, we won't do it again.

We've done 5 adults in several different room types.
- Poly studio, very snug for our group. Even with the bath and a 1/2 is still wasn't perfect.
- AOA cars suite: We actually liked this set up for all of us. The murphy bed worked really well for single daughter.
- SSR treehouse - LOVED. lots of room, we spent a lot of time hanging out, using the deck. Big drawback is the transportation (we had a car so it went much better)
upcoming: OKW. We booked a two bedroom, we're very excited to have room to spread. We spend a lot of time in the room. But, we will have two extra adults who'll have to be in the living room. I'll be interested to see if they'll be happy (they're my kids friends who are tag-a-longs)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!