Family restrooms at WDW parks

Brett Wyman

Legacy Guest
Im travelling alone with my 4 year old daughter in 2 weeks and would rather not drag her into the mens room if at all possible(everyone knows our seats are covered in pee). I googled it and see what Disney calls "companion-assisted" restrooms are plentiful, but does anyone who has used them with small children have any they prefer in each park?

they are all pretty much the same, I would get a map each day and make sure you use them when close by even when your little girl might not feel like it. If I’m not wrong they are not all over the parks, as the regular restrooms are.

They are not listed on the regular maps, but on the maps for those with disabilities. From what I’ve read, they aren’t that plentiful. DH has taken his daughter’s into the men’s room countless times. If you are worried about pee seats, carry some flushable wipes with you. With a four year old, you might not have time to locate a companion restroom.

The companion restrooms are not really set up for little kids. The toilets are higher etc. Also there can be a long wait for them. Our husband would take our girls into the mens room at that age. He never complained about pee on the seats or anything but we always travelled with "flushable" wipes because our girls' tushies liked them better. Take them to the mens room. You will likely not be the only father in there with his daughter.

My husband takes our 5 year old daughter into the companion restrooms all the time at Disney. (He, like you, prefers not to take her into the men's room.) Those restrooms are so much easier than trying to stuff both people into a stall in either men's or women's room. There are a bunch from what I remember. I know there's one at the Tangled restrooms, one near the front of the park on Main St and one near Dumbo. I think there's more but those are the ones I can think of right now.

Im travelling alone with my 4 year old daughter in 2 weeks and would rather not drag her into the mens room if at all possible(everyone knows our seats are covered in pee). I googled it and see what Disney calls "companion-assisted" restrooms are plentiful, but does anyone who has used them with small children have any they prefer in each park?
the "companion assisted" are set up for handicapped who need more room. most times there are no changing tables as such and the toilets are higher than a normal one. as another said if someone ahead of you in the room it could take longer than normal if child is in a hurry. yes you can use but they are not a "family restroom" as such so be prepared. also with what appears to be plentiful can be one restroom at each site not a number like the stalls in the restrooms

They aren’t located near every bathroom but there are several in the park. If you go to the map on MDE you can see them all. We used them when we went with our (at the time) four year old and 10 month old and found them very useful. All the ones we used just had a single companion room so if it didn’t become available within a few min we could opt to use the regular restrooms right there. We didn’t visit them all but those we did were all clean and served their purpose. Have a great trip!

I do feel your pain. When my daughter was 5 she refused to go into the men's room but I found that wasn't a huge problem at Disney. Most of the time some mother with children would see me begging her to into the men's room and take her with them into the ladies room. Only time it didn't work was at Tony's and a very kind CM helped me. She walked in the ladies room and said loudly Man with little girl coming in. She had me stand with my fact to the wall and wait. The women inside were very nice and teased me about learning the difference between Men's and Ladies room. A great many WDW people really helped me out.

one thing to remember that restaurants do not have "companion restrooms" and most 4 year olds will have to go in the middle of most meals

I think that it is best to be prepared to take her into the men's room. It is very difficult to imagine how large the parks are, so getting a little girl to the companion rest room in time can be a challenge, but when you add in that the wait once you arrive, well..... I would just take good wipes to clean the seat.

I also think that while it may seem strange to accept assistance from the women in the area, it can be an option to consider in a pinch. I would never hesitate taking a little girl into the restroom if the situation seemed to warrant the offer.

The companion restrooms are not really set up for little kids. The toilets are higher etc. Also there can be a long wait for them. Our husband would take our girls into the mens room at that age. He never complained about pee on the seats or anything but we always travelled with "flushable" wipes because our girls' tushies liked them better. Take them to the mens room. You will likely not be the only father in there with his daughter.
Be aware that flushable wipes are often not flushable. They tend to cause havoc with sewer systems.

I don't like the idea of my daughter going into men's restrooms either.
Their urinals are out there in the open and not in stalls. Whoever thought that was a good idea? I can assure you it wasn't someone with a young daughter that might need to go to the restroom with only her dad to take her.

I wish there were more family restrooms. Or at least make men's room more family-friendly.

I don't like the idea of my daughter going into men's restrooms either.
Their urinals are out there in the open and not in stalls. Whoever thought that was a good idea? I can assure you it wasn't someone with a young daughter that might need to go to the restroom with only her dad to take her.

I wish there were more family restrooms. Or at least make men's room more family-friendly.

Keep in mind there are no "family restrooms" at WDW. They are not the same as what the malls call "family restrooms". Disney has Companion Assisted restrooms. The toilet is high off of the ground, and in most family restrooms they have a toilet lower to the ground that children can easily reach. It may seem like splitting hairs, but it can make a difference.

I think that's what kind of bothers me, Maxiesmom. For us, it's not a huge deal since my dd is older and could go to a women's RR with dh standing outside waiting. But if she were little, I wouldn't want her going to the men's RR, and what's available basically forces most dads to do this.
The disability accessible restrooms usually have a long wait (understandably so), and smaller ones can't always hold it that long. And men can't really walk into the women's RR.
I do wish most places (Disney and everywhere) would have more family restrooms. Or, have the urinals in stalls.

we had no issue using the companion restrooms at WDW and everyone we used had a changetable. It was so much easier having us all "go" together.
I never noticed the toilet being heigher either.

we had no issue using the companion restrooms at WDW and everyone we used had a changetable. It was so much easier having us all "go" together.
I never noticed the toilet being heigher either.
daughter found out they are higher with her step son when he was young. took him once and he stood but could not reach the top as he did a normal toilet. had to get him a new outfit and wash his sandals. and we have had a long wait for one when person ahead because of disability took what seemed like forever. have read about disabled having security called because they didn't get out when a family wanted them too when cleaning up an adult. just wanting other to be prepared if things do not go as they have for you

daughter found out they are higher with her step son when he was young. took him once and he stood but could not reach the top as he did a normal toilet. had to get him a new outfit and wash his sandals. and we have had a long wait for one when person ahead because of disability took what seemed like forever. have read about disabled having security called because they didn't get out when a family wanted them too when cleaning up an adult. just wanting other to be prepared if things do not go as they have for you
Yes it is easier to be prepared than to not have something go your way once already there that's for sure.
I will say that we did have to wait a while a few times, and in those cases we just went our own way, I took DD with me. Not everyone has that option especially in the OP's case.

Yes it is easier to be prepared than to not have something go your way once already there that's for sure.
I will say that we did have to wait a while a few times, and in those cases we just went our own way, I took DD with me. Not everyone has that option especially in the OP's case.

In a jam the OP could carry his daughter in to the mens room while covering her eyes. Not ideal, but workable in case of an emergency.

A disabled person shouldn’t have to hurry up just because folks want to use the companion restroom to pee as a family. It’s pretty easy to shield a girl’s eyes and usher her into a stall, urinals have walls.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter