Family situation - just need to vent

not really me

Earning My Ears
So this is a fake account because I just want to keep this personal.

Here is the background.
My daughter was molested by my nephew 3-4 years ago. We have known about it for 3 years. She was 12 my nephew (let's call him John) was 17. She has said it was inappropriate touching on several occasions. This all occurred at my parents home where my sister and my nephew lived and continue to live.

We found out when we read some of a notebook my daughter had about how she wanted to kill herself and she couldn't live like this. She told us about the abuse when we talked to her about it. I immediately met with my sister and told her about the situation, urged her to get my nephew some help and explained that we would not be around John anymore. I also spoke to my parents about this and was clear that since John still lived with them we would not be visiting their home.

My daughter saw a therapist for 2 years, she's good now but just has stated getting interested in dating. We did not press charges against my nephew. I also have another nephew, John's older brother, who I never spoke to about this. He is 5 years older than John, now married and a new dad to a baby boy.

So we have been splitting the holidays up more but seeing my parents less and less. In fact, we haven't seen them at all this year. Every invite we have extended they have an excuse for. The kicker came on Father's Day. We were going out to eat and my sister texted me that my parent's weren't coming since John was not invited!!! I was so mad and hurt. I believe that's why they have not seen us all year and just made up excuses.

I called my mother a week or so later to talk to her and my other nephew was there and she asked if she could call me back that night. Instead she texted me that night saying I sounded cold and distant and she didn't want to talk.

She has recently been in the hospital with unexplained high blood pressure and some other issues and I have spoken to her but only about her health. My dad tried to tell me my mother felt like she was being punished because we never come over their house.

Sorry for the long rambling but I just am so mad about this! I finally talked to my other nephew about it to see if he knew and that we wanted to visit his new baby but did not want to see his brother. He had no clue. We had a nice visit and since then he hasn't texted me back and he unfriended my husband and I on Facebook.

So has anyone else experienced this? A therapist friend told me this might happen that we might end up being the bad guys. I am clear that I will not have my children around John and as long as my parents have him living there we won't go over there home.

Otherwise, I am just very sad that my parents have done this to my children (I also have a younger son) and isolated them in what feels like preference over the other.

Last edited:
So this is a fake account because I just want to keep this personal.

Here is the background.
My daughter was molested by my nephew 3-4 years ago. We have known about it for 3 years. She was 12 my nephew (let's call him John) was 17. She has said it was inappropriate touching on several occasions. This all occurred at my parents home where my sister and my nephew lived and continue to live.

We found out when we read some of a notebook my daughter had about how she wanted to kill herself and she couldn't live like this. She told us about the abuse when we talked to her about it. I immediately met with my sister and told her about the situation, urged her to get my nephew some help and explained that we would not be around John anymore. I also spoke to my parents about this and was clear that since Bob still lived with them we would not be visiting their home.

My daughter saw a therapist for 2 years, she's good now but just has stated getting interested in dating. We did not press charges against my nephew. I also have another nephew, Bob's older brother, who I never spoke to about this. He is 5 years older than Bob, now married and a new dad to a baby boy.

So we have been splitting the holidays up more but seeing my parents less and less. In fact, we haven't seen them at all this year. Every invite we have extended they have an excuse for. The kicker came on Father's Day. We were going out to eat and my sister texted me that my parent's weren't coming since Bob was not invited!!! I was so mad and hurt. I believe that's why they have not seen us all year and just made up excuses.

I called my mother a week or so later to talk to her and my other nephew was there and she asked if she could call me back that night. Instead she texted me that night saying I sounded cold and distant and she didn't want to talk.

She has recently been in the hospital with unexplained high blood pressure and some other issues and I have spoken to her but only about her health. My dad tried to tell me my mother felt like she was being punished because we never come over their house.

Sorry for the long rambling but I just am so mad about this! I finally talked to my other nephew about it to see if he knew and that we wanted to visit his new baby but did not want to see his brother. He had no clue. We had a nice visit and since then he hasn't texted me back and he unfriended my husband and I on Facebook.

So has anyone else experienced this? A therapist friend told me this might happen that we might end up being the bad guys. I am clear that I will not have my children around Bob and as long as my parents have him living there we won't go over there home.

Otherwise, I am just very sad that my parents have done this to my children (I also have a younger son) and isolated them in what feels like preference over the other.

Are Bob & John the same person????

You are absolutely doing the right thing by keeping your daughter away from her attacker. I do know that it's not uncommon for families to close ranks around an attacker; even when the victim is another member of the family.

I'm sure it really hurts that your parents have aligned with your nephew and not your daughter, but honestly if this is how they handle it, you're probably better off distancing yourselves.

Are Bob & John the same person????
I think so.

OP, you have to do what is best for your daughter. There may be times when someone is taking care of a sick parent and their children get a little less attention. This will never be one of those times. When your daughter is an adult you may choose to renew your relationship with your family, but you'll never control how she feels about that and may end up alienating her. You'll have to decide when the time comes. It sounds like these people have taken sides and will not see it your way. They also sound toxic. That doesn't make you the bad guys, it means you are expecting more than you're every going to get out of some unreasonable people. And honestly, if you didn't press charges partly to keep the peace in the family, I'd reconsider that, speak to your DD and ask if she's like to explore if you're still within the statute of limitations.

You are doing the right thing for your daughter. I'm guessing that your sister is telling a different tale, and since she is the one your parents are hearing from day in and day out just because she lives with them, she has had the chance to convince them she is right and that you are unforgiving - not that John Bob deserves forgiveness! Your job is to support your sweet kiddo.

You have every right to be angry. Your parents are making a stupid decision. They will be regretting it years later when they have missed out on being there to celebrate all sorts of milestones that your DD will go through. You have to protect your child regardless of what their opinions are and you are doing a great job with that. Keep it up!

If they want to protect and shield the child molester, then they are a part of the problem.

I'm so sorry for what your DD went through. While I don't have personal experience, I have indeed heard exactly what your therapist said...that oftentimes other family members will rally around the abuser and cut off contact with the victim. Makes no sense to me, and I can only imagine how hurtful that is to the victim and their family.

You said your DD received counseling, do you know if John/Bob received any? I would be very concerned about him inflicting this pain on another child. It seems like sex offenders have such a high rate of reoffending anyway, let alone when their parents sweep it under the rug or victim blame as it seems may be the case here :(

Why can't your parents come to your house to visit?

I do think you are doing the right thing for your daughter. She has to be your first priority.

They are welcome anytime. Invite them for birthdays, Easter, Christmas Eve, recitals, soccer games. We see them about 2 to 3 times a year and they live only an hour away. We even offer to meet at a restaurant nearby. But they have declined or cancelled last minute for everything this year.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. You are great parents and doing exactly the right thing for your daughter, getting her out of this situation. Even if it means they have basically shunned your family, you are doing what is right for your daughter. They are victim blaming. Your dd and you are the victims here. Don't let them twist it.

How awful of your parents not to just come and visit on their own! And your older nephew as well. Your daughter has every right not to be around her abuser for as long as she doesn't want to be. (She may someday decide she wants a supervised visit to demand an apology, but that's between her and her therapist.) If they all love your younger nephew so much, they should be grateful you didn't press charges and happy to accommodate you!

I'm so sorry for what your DD went through. While I don't have personal experience, I have indeed heard exactly what your therapist said...that oftentimes other family members will rally around the abuser and cut off contact with the victim. Makes no sense to me, and I can only imagine how hurtful that is to the victim and their family.

I'm no expert either, but I'll play amateur psychologist. - I think they blame her because if she had just "brushed it off" they wouldn't have had to know about and be sickened by it. (Because I believe that deep down they are sickened by it, but can't handle their own feelings, so they convince themselves that nothing happened.)

...You said your DD received counseling, do you know if John/Bob received any?...

I was wondering that as well.

You said your DD received counseling, do you know if John/Bob received any? I would be very concerned about him inflicting this pain on another child. It seems like sex offenders have such a high rate of reoffending anyway, let alone when their parents sweep it under the rug or victim blame as it seems may be the case here :(

I doubt he's gotten any counseling. I urged my sister to get him some and she said "well he's an adult now" since he had turned 18.

I really fear he may have been molested. And either way he needs some intensive therapy which I know he hasn't gotten.

awful situation BUT when you get married you start a family and parents are second to that new family you've build, it hurts but they made their choice, stand your ground stop trying to reach out they don't forgive, like someone said,that your daughter told about the abuse, they might even blame her for it, move on, hope she can heal and go on with her life, if I where you I would completely cut my ties with my parents/sister/nephew, my children's and husband are my family everyone else are relatives to me when they choose to ignore the abuse that "jhon" inflicted to your daughter

YOU are doing the right thing. I have been in a similar situation. Your daughter needs to be protected from the abuser. If you don't do that, she will feel betrayed by you. She probably already feels betrayed by the extended family. I would talk to your DD and see how she feels about that. And let her know THEY are wrong, not her.

This just IRRITATES ME SO, just reading about it. Hugs to you.

YOU are doing the right thing. I have been in a similar situation. Your daughter needs to be protected from the abuser. If you don't do that, she will feel betrayed by you. She probably already feels betrayed by the extended family. I would talk to your DD and see how she feels about that. And let her know THEY are wrong, not her.

This just IRRITATES ME SO, just reading about it. Hugs to you.
So true. This has happened to me with my family. No abuse but my brother has acted inappropriately for more than ten years. I finally put my foot down to protect my family--dh and the kids. My entire family of origin closed ranks and tossed me and the kids. It's very common for the family to enable the sick, dysfunctional behaviour and to turn on the strong child (in this case, you). In their minds, you're the bad guy because you had the gall to highlight and name the bad behaviour, the sickness in the family. Your first, and only responsibility is to your daughter. It's hard to lose your parents this way, but it has to be this way. Good luck to you and hugs.

How does your daughter feel about her grandparents actions? If she feels betrayed or upset by what they have done, do not invite them to another event or your home until they have apologized to her, to her satisfaction, for their betrayal.

ETA: Your support is incredibly important to her and her healing. Keep up the good work!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter