Fannypack or mini backpack

Dani314

Earning My Ears
Typically I bring a crossbody type bag for the parks which allows us to carry quite a bit but it’s a hassle removing them for character meetings. Just wondering what folks staying on site use? Is it easier bringing less into the parks as an adult? Since I’ve ever only stayed off site, we have to bring everything we need for the day so we don’t have to drive back to hotels, but figured staying on site would allow us to bring in the bare minimum and go back to resort if needed.

Well with a fanny pack you are going to have that big bulge in your front side in your photo's unless you turn the pack around to your back side. Which then makes it no different than taking a crossbody bag off since have to spend time to push the fanny pack to your backside for photo's

When I last visited in January 2019, even though I was "on site" I stayed at Saratoga Springs, so there was really no "popping back to the room." I bought this for my park bag and it was great:

https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/82300245/ripstop-sling-pack?sp=1&color=Dk Plum&size=ONE SIZE
It was very lightweight and easy to stow on rides. I was supposed to go to Disneyland for a week last month :-):-):-)(), and I bought the below bag on Etsy. It can be worn as either a backpack or a cross body bag. It doesn't have as much storage as the other one, but for that trip we were going to be staying in the Grand Californian :-)worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried:) so "popping back to the hotel" would have been a lot easier.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/767195245/disney-minnie-themed-convertible-small?ref=shop_review
Hope this helps!

It was very lightweight and easy to stow on rides. I was supposed to go to Disneyland for a week last month :-):-):-)(), and I bought the below bag on Etsy. It can be worn as either a backpack or a cross body bag. It doesn't have as much storage as the other one, but for that trip we were going to be staying in the Grand Californian :-)worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried:) so "popping back to the hotel" would have been a lot easier.
[/QUOTE]
Lol those emojis did not publish the way they looked in the draft. It should be all sad faces for a cancelled trip!

Next year will be the first time we don't need a stroller, which is always handy to dump all our belongings on (except valuables of course), so I'm looking for a nice bag too. I'm tempted to buy a Disney themed bag, and I'm veering towards a backpack, for the February trip but it'll make my back will sweat dreadfully during our August trip. I may have to go for an across-the-body bag instead.

Just realised that's not answered your question! Sorry

We have used all of the above, strollers, back packs and fanny packs...we now use drawstring/cinch style bags. Everyone has their own and they are light and easy to take off when the need arises. Easy to stow in front of rides too.

I use a side bag, DH wears a small back pack like bag (Nike bag with a pull ties on top)
We carry very little into the parks - ID, water bottles, a few snacks, our hair brushes, rain poncho, small tissue packs, hand sanitizer.
We wear our hats, sun glasses, and magic bands.
Not much to carry around.

I would vote for the backpack. Even with staying on property you tend to need to carry a lot of stuff. Umbrella / poncho, tissues, power cell, sunscreen, hand sanitizer, water bottle etc. Even if you are on site you don’t want to run back to the room to get something; it just eats up too much time. If you buy something you can stick it in the bag as well. We also make sure everyone has their own backpack so they are responsible for their own stuff.

Truthfully, I tend to always visit WDW with the following type of bags so I can change it up as needed.
  • Backpack - Good for when I need to take extras due to weather, such as sweatshirts and umbrellas, or plan to purchase something that I cannot send back to the resort.
  • Midsize cross over - Good for needing a bit of space, but not as much as a backpack
  • Wristlet - Great for days I do not have pockets, but could be bagless or for short 2-3 hour visits to parks or for dinner.

I have also turned a couple of smaller purses with thin adjustable straps into fanny pack type bags. They look like of like a hipbag.

I'm a fan of fanny packs for any amusement park trip. But...the downside is you have to tie your jacket/sweatshirt around your waist if you have one and there's no room to keep water, food, and souvenirs. So if that matters, go for a full sized backpack.

Depends on your comfort level. I prefer a backpack. to me, it holds more, I can put my bottle drink in there and go completely hands free. I do have to take it off and place it by my feet on rides, I usually will hold it between my feet to make sure it doesn't go anywhere. My mom on the other hand, is a fanny pack chick all the way! the only time I could see it being an issue is rides with a lap bar. and also, if you choose to buy any souvenirs, its hard to squeeze them in a fanny pack versus a backpack...and then you have to carry them around with you.

Fannys are back, are more lightweight and easier to go through security with, however the issue of a water bottle holder exists. A full water bottle on a belt is somewhat awkward.

I am all about the right bag, my DH on the other hand calls it a slight addiction to purse shopping ... LOL - So I have alot of bags... and I normally bring a few different size when we travel... so that I have what I need... or we need... ready to go...

When I choose which bag to take alot depends on it... First off who is going... like a family with kids, multi-generational, and depending on the age of the kids and if there is a stroller... If you have little ones to say elementary school age you are going to need more stuff back pack and stroller for sure... If your kiddo's are middle school and up they can use a small back pack or a string back pack, and they can each carry their stuff... I will say that the string back packs are very popular, they are not my favorite, as they cut into you after wearing them for a long time... I prefer something with a padded strap, especially if you are going to be wearing it all day. Just my own personal thing.

Comfort is next.... and then weight of what you are going to put into the bag...and what you absolutely have to have with you...

So for me I carry a small cross-body daily... It just what I prefer... I have certain requirements for cross body's... I am taller so a long adjustable strap is a must... as well I prefer a more structured bag, with a set or formed bottom... a zip pocket inside and a outside pocket... So in my collection of cross-body's contains, Dooney and Burke, Coach, Micheal Kors, and Vera Bradley...

I am a Dooney and Burke girl, .... and I love all the Disney bags that they offer...so a win win... Yay...

I do have a fanny pack, waist purse, side hip, money belt kinda thingy all rolled into one bag... I picked it up at like TJ Maxx, or Marshalls... I think that its made by travel pro, or one of those companies... It's been all over the place with us... and I have had it forever... I keep looking for another one to replace it and so far I haven't found anything... It just basically will hold, my phone, a small credit card case -think one or two cards, and some cash tucked in the middle, and my daily pill container (super small), pony tail holder, some gum or listerine type tabs. I have used it as a money belt a couple of times for our passports and some cash and worn it underneath my shirt...

Cargo shorts...are a good way to bring a few extra items in with you... I can fit a water bottle into the side pockets easily...

Last edited:
I started out years ago with the fanny. Then I graduated to a light backpack. Eventually I discovered I liked the cross body light/not too big cross body - especially for DS, walk around Boardwalk, dinner out.

Now - I am leaning towards a fanny again for the park days. Light backpack too - but either is fine - yes fanny is back :) Evening - crossbody - unless we are in the park.

Last edited:
I use a small bag from Travelon that can be worn as either a crossbody or a hip bag. I wear it as a hip bag because carrying any weight on my shoulders all day long leads to back pain. Plus, it leaves both hands free and I can easily access whatever I need without taking the bag off. It doesn’t hold much, but it holds enough: phone, charger, cards, tiny sunscreen packet, Bandaids, and eye drops. It is slightly smaller than a typical fanny pack, so it does not get in the way on rides.

This is the one I have, but in a different color: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GH4SWGX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1. I suspect they are no longer making this style given the lack of color choices, but they do still make a larger version.

I use a small bag from Travelon that can be worn as either a crossbody or a hip bag. I wear it as a hip bag because carrying any weight on my shoulders all day long leads to back pain. Plus, it leaves both hands free and I can easily access whatever I need without taking the bag off. It doesn’t hold much, but it holds enough: phone, charger, cards, tiny sunscreen packet, Bandaids, and eye drops. It is slightly smaller than a typical fanny pack, so it does not get in the way on rides.

This is the one I have, but in a different color: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GH4SWGX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1. I suspect they are no longer making this style given the lack of color choices, but they do still make a larger version.

I don’t go anywhere anymore without my Travelon bag.

That said, in the parks with family, I carry 3 ponchos (saves $27 by buying $1 dollar tree ponchos instead of buying $10 WDW ponchos), bottled water, handfuls of gummy snacks, ID, AP&DVC cards, credit cards, cash, hats, sunscreen, napkins, and if I’m having a good day and I remember, plastic straws. Maybe dry socks &/or spare shoes for the kid. Bandaids. Pain medicine, Tums, and sometimes sweatshirts. Leave room for souvenirs.

Stuff it all into the giant Mickey themed tote bag of the season, $49.99 with a $75 purchase. That’s a joke. Sort of.
:rolleyes1

I like this. Cross body or waist. It's a bit small - I wonder if it comes in a bit larger size. For a full day at the parks, I also like to throw in some cheap ponchos, my phone and some ID cards/tissues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts