Fantasia Deems Taylor Narrations

foreveruncut

Earning My Ears
Hello. I am currently working on my own recreation of the Original Roadshow Version of Fantasia. The uncensoring process is already done. Now, I just need the audio for Deems Taylor’s narrations. I read in a YouTube comment that somebody read in a forum that the complete narrations were re-discovered around the time Fantasia was released on Blu-Ray, but Disney still used Corey Burton’s audio from the 2000 DVD. I don’t know if they did re-discover the complete narrations or not, but I would appreciate it if Disney released Fantasia on Disney+, complete with those narrations. Even if it’s censored, I just want the original Deems Taylor narrations for a possible Disney+ release.

I did check the VHS tape, but on that, only the narrations for Toccata and Fugue and Meet the Soundtrack are complete. All the other narrations are shortened.

What was the reason for the censoring of the original censorship?

I think you might be thinking of the Pastoral symphony segment, because the Deems Taylor narrations sparked no controversy, therefore, shortening them doesn’t count as censorship.

What was the reason for the censoring of the original censorship?

I think the main reason Deems Taylor's original intros were shortened was because the overall movie was too long, clocking in at over two hours, plus an intermission. At one point, the general release version, which was released in 1942, reduced the time to 80 minutes in part by reducing Taylor's intros, as well as cutting out Toccata and Fugue entirely. Subsequent releases thereafter restored Toccata and Fugue but still kept Taylor's dialogue to a minimum, even as late as the 50th anniversary re-release in 1990 and later video release in 1991.

I think the main reason Deems Taylor's original intros were shortened was because the overall movie was too long, clocking in at over two hours, plus an intermission. At one point, the general release version, which was released in 1942, reduced the time to 80 minutes in part by reducing Taylor's intros, as well as cutting out Toccata and Fugue entirely. Subsequent releases thereafter restored Toccata and Fugue but still kept Taylor's dialogue to a minimum, even as late as the 50th anniversary re-release in 1990 and later video release in 1991.
Well, whatever the reason may be, I sure hope the full audio has been rediscovered so that Disney can use it for release on Disney+.

Good news! Disney has released Fantasia uncensored on Disney+. I still don’t know if Deems Taylor’s original audio is intact yet, but I plan to view it for myself to find out.

The Disney+ version is censored and will always be censored. Sunflower has been long gone since the 1969 rerelease.

The Disney+ version is censored and will always be censored. Sunflower has been long gone since the 1969 rerelease.
Well, I have the uncensored scenes for use in my reconstruction of the original roadshow version. I’ll have to partially dub Deems Taylor’s audio, since his monologues are currently incomplete. I sure hope the complete monologues are rediscovered someday, preferably by 2036, the year Fantasia becomes public domain.

Just noticed a comment on a movie board that suggests Deems is present on the 1990 laserdisc of Fantasia. Not sure if it's truncated, just passing along the info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!