• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fantasmic in DL compared to WDW?

uncgsweetz16

Powered by Disney
I was just in Disney Land and missed it since they don't do it every night. I am so kicking myself...I was just curious. Please let me know, thanks so much and happy holidays! :wave:

I happen to think DL's show is about a million times better. More action, fewer villians, bigger boat, better finale, & you can actually walk across the stage during the day and ride on two of the boats used in the show. While I'll admit the amphitheater at WDW is nice, I still prefer DL's sit on the ground seating. I also love being able to watch them set up for the show--something you don't get at WDW.

I also agree the DL is much better. I've seen WDW's numerous times but my mind was blown away with Disneyland's version. I think that the peter pan sceen made the show better.

I agree. It's one of the few things that we never bother to see when we're at WDW. Just because Disneyland's is better. They have the entire Rivers of America to use as a stage. Both the Columbia and the Riverboat (forgot the name, sorry) are used. So it just seems a little "grander".

definitely DL! I've seen it gazillions of times at DL, and WDW twice. The first time I saw it in WDW, I was kind of disappointed, and hoped that they didn't change DL's to that one...

Darn! I am so bummed I missed it. Fill me in on what is different please so at least I can have a mental picture. There is always next time! :earboy2:

It's juat a whole different experience being around the River rather than in an theater-like setting. Also - they use the real riverboat, rather than the chintzy fake one! They use the Columbia as a pirate ship for Peter Pan..... it's just nifty...... and I'm not a Pocohontas fan anyway.....

I like the WDW version much better.

Although the seating at DL is nice, I felt like the show was better at WDW.

The DL is version is better magically and theatrically, but the logistics are better at WDW. I agree with the previous postings - the pirate ship scene is much more creative and dynamic at DL compared to the uninspired Pocahontas effort at WDW. And yes, the "steamboat" used in the finale at WDW is lame.

Andrew in St. Louis

Hi Andrew, another St. Louisian here.
The DL version is much more intimate with your seating practically on top of the action. It draws you into the story more.
However, I can understand Disney's reasoning on building the amphitheater when they added the show to WDW: less crowd problems, competing with the fireworks and not having to close the Mark Twain at dusk.
In retrospect, I feel if DL could do it all over again, they might have built a seperate theater for the show from the start, if room was available, a problem WDW, with their four parks, doesn't have.

I personally liked the WDW version much better, I think it has more of a story if you will. I also liked the seating better.

The most obvious two differences in the actual shows are already mentioned. The Peter Pan section on the Columbia instead of the Pocahontas section, and the use of the Mark Twain instead of the smaller steamboat, both of which favor the DL version.

The plus for WDW's version is the more orderly logistics surrounding the show. It has its own theatre with clearly defined entrances and exits.

However, DL has gotten a lot better in managing the crowds. They put in one way traffic controls with plenty of CMs to guide the guests.

It still can be a bit overwhelming for the uninititated, but once you get beyond that, its not a problem. For me, having Fantasmic in the actual park is the biggest plus of all for the DL version. It really emphasizes the imagination overtaking reality part of the experience. Its as if Mickey's imagination is taking over all around you, as opposed to you just sitting in a theater and watching a show. At DL, the story is taking place in the very areas you've been walking and riding through all day, just as a dream takes place in the very house you live in.

The Disneyland is much better in my opinion. I really hate how they use the water projections in Florida...too much, over-use of villians and too much back and forth. The Disneyland version is bigger, closer and the performers puch so much more into it. :)

I have to agree with the majority on this as well. The DL version is better. Im a Peter Pan fan so I adore that part. Its missing at WDW. I love the use of the Columbia and Mark Twain as well and knowing that I rode them during the day. It could partly be that the DL version is the original and Im a sucker for stuff like that. And true, sitting right on the rail makes you fell as part of the action, nothing can beat that. I will say this though, I do like being able to sit on a bench to watch the show at WDW.

I think they are even. The DL show is definitely better than WDW's (which I love, BTW), however the set up at MGM is much better than DL's, and I found this actually did affect our overall experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter