Fantasmic update?

Pdollar88

DIS Veteran
Is there any rumor about Disney World getting an update to Fantasmic, a la Disneyland? It's so mind-boggling to me that they have a dedicated theatre for Fantasmic at WDW, compared to DL, and the show hasn't really been touched in years.

I love the show and think it really deserves an update. I definitely don't understand folks who wish for it to go entirely.

I'd prefer that they not do the same updates they made in DL. I finally saw the new show, and I had been very excited to do so, but I was very disappointed. Yeah, it looked better, but they ruined the music! Plus there were some odd choices, like no more Sword in the Stone. At this point I consider the WDW version of Fantasmic! to be the superior one now.

I think it will likely be the next after Illuminations. Probably 3-4 years out at least. Maybe for it's 25th anniversary?

I am not sure WDW is invested in, nor wants to invest in Fantasmic. Per multiple insider reports, until the final decision to move Tron to MK, there was a solid plan to put Tron where Fantasmic is. So I wonder, if they don't want to use that space for something else, or maybe replace Fantasmic at some point?

I am not sure WDW is invested in, nor wants to invest in Fantasmic. Per multiple insider reports, until the final decision to move Tron to MK, there was a solid plan to put Tron where Fantasmic is. So I wonder, if they don't want to use that space for something else, or maybe replace Fantasmic at some point?

Interesting. I wish I could sad face react to this, but it’s good to have the info.

I didn't know that. That's disappointing to hear. Last year we went to see Fantasmic with our kids (prior to that, I hadn't seen it since I was a teenager, so it had been about 23 years) and I had forgotten how great it is, and the kids loved it. I would definitely be pretty annoyed if they got rid of it.

I wonder if there was any kind of user research that informed not tearing away Fantasmic for Tron because the sentiment was so negative.

I didn't know that. That's disappointing to hear. Last year we went to see Fantasmic with our kids (prior to that, I hadn't seen it since I was a teenager, so it had been about 23 years) and I had forgotten how great it is, and the kids loved it. I would definitely be pretty annoyed if they got rid of it.

I wonder if there was any kind of user research that informed not tearing away Fantasmic for Tron because the sentiment was so negative.
No idea, but I am with you, every time we go to WDW and go to DHS(every time we go ;) )we see Fantasmic. My family and I love the show.

I love F! as well but I also understand that Disney has a very large area that goes unused all but 2 hours of a park day. I think it goes, but not till after the 50th

I think they should come up with a day show to run on the Fantasmic stage 2-3 times a day, in addition to Fantasmic. But take it away? That would upset many people, myself included. They’ve already removed far too many wonderful attractions at HS.

Maybe they could add a retracting stage and bring back some sort of car stunt show...:p It’s such a shame they got rid of that. It was so exciting.

I love F! as well but I also understand that Disney has a very large area that goes unused all but 2 hours of a park day. I think it goes, but not till after the 50th
It is also the only park with two real night time shows. I could see F! getting cut as a cost savings while keeping the Star Wars show.

I don’t consider some projections (from movies I can watch at home, nonetheless) with a very few tiny fireworks a show, which is what SWAGS currently is.

Fantasmic is far, far, superior to the Star Wars show. It would be ridiculous to remove it. On top of being a great show, it diverts thoudands of people from clogging up other areas of a park that does not handle crowds well.

Fantasmic is far, far, superior to the Star Wars show. It would be ridiculous to remove it. On top of being a great show, it diverts thoudands of people from clogging up other areas of a park that does not handle crowds well.
I know many, many people that would highly disagree with that first statement. I love both, but I definitely prefer the Star Wars show, and it's not close.

I'll agree with Fantasmic being the far better show. But I don't think removing it is ridiculous. The land it uses is significant, they could put an entire land with multiple rides there without touching anything else. It may hold thousands but it only does that once or twice a day. The rest of the time it's a massive waste of space. I'd love if they could manage a daytime show in there at some time.

It's funny but at one time WDW was said to have space for just about anything. You could say that the lake in Epcot takes a lot of space too but if course it also adds ambience.

I hate this trend of doing away with nighttime events and replacing them with fireworks and projections if anything at all. It would be nice to keep a few.

I love Fantasmic. I remember seeing it on my first ever trip and being amazed. I agree it takes up a lot of space but with Star Wars and Toy Story just going in now I doubt Disney will dump any more significant money into that park for a while with all the work Epcot needs. I hope it doesn't go away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!