Fantasy 9/17-9/24 review from Platinum level family

tatersumm

Earning My Ears
Good afternoon all,
My wife and I just got off the Fantasy on 9.24.22 sailing for our long overdue honeymoon (rescheduled 5 times since Oct 2020 on Disney but each kept getting canceled). Here is our review after the sailing and it is not all good. This is coming from my wife, who has just done her 13th sailing on Disney Cruise line since 2002, mainly on all the new sailings and inaugural sailings (hawaii, alaska, greece, med...)

This Sailing had our itinerary changed the day before sailing due to Hurricane Fiona. So instead of going to Virgin Islands and Castaway, it went to Western Caribbean (Cozumel, Cayman, Falmouth, Castaway). Kind of sad since we didnt book that, but we understood based on weather.

The Good:
-Staff: Our assistant server Carlos from Peru was our assistant server and he was the best staff my wife has ever had. He was bubbly, energetic, and attentive. His high pitch voice could be hear around the ship and he was a breath of energy for their staff.
-Live Shows: Both Frozen, Aladdin, and Believe were great as were the staff/cast.

The Bad:
-Cabanas: We found the variety each day very limited. The same few items on 3 spots on each side of the buffet and it didnt change much. A beef dish, a chicken breast dish, a fish dish, and a pasta. The same 3 salads were pre-made and those didnt change, so if you dont like or are allergic to cucumbers, you are doomed to just 1 salad choice for 7 days. We also were annoyed that at least one of the beverage stations were closed and out of order the entire sailing.
-Castaway food: This was just plain gross. The cookies, which they rave about, tasted old and dry. The cookies in Cabanas were better, which is not good. The protein items didnt have much flavor or were overcooked. The "salads" all had cucumber or pickles in them, so we couldnt eat any of them. The "chili" was ketchup with minimal at best seasoning. We had to go to Cabanas to find anything to eat.
-Service in Dining rooms: This was where the sailing failed us miserably. Our first night our server team took over 2 hours before we got deserts due to the poor service. The food we received was luke warm to cold, the server team checked back only once, and then was off trying to handle all the tables in their section at the same time which put everyone behind. We had a couple at our table who were on their first DCL voyage and ordered a special desert to celebrate...which arrived with 2 misspelled words written in chocolate and the cupcake we were told tasted like shortening mixed with one splenda packet. After we spoke with guest services and dining room manager about being moved to better server, we had good experience until our return trip to Animators, the scene of the first issue. The management had decided to put us at a table completely across the restaurant from our serving team and our head server never once came by to help them. Poor service was had again, with cold food, and we even heard our serving team ask another server for help and be ignored. We brought it to officer's attention and guest services attention. The restaurant manager was told to make this better we were told by officer in Food/Beverage, yet he was nowhere to be found the next day and a half unless we went after our dining time to speak with him. He clearly did not care what his bosses had to say and what his actions were doing for our special cruise.
-Staff interactions: This may seem trivial to some, but having grown up on the ships, my wife enjoys speaking with staff and getting to know them a bit. On previous cruises they often would say "Welcome back" to her when they saw her lanyard, yet on this sailing only 1 staff member in 7 days did this for her this time. Often the staff was distant and unsocial. We even saw staff members in uniform working in Cabanas on their personal cell phone while on shift, something the old DCL would never allow.

We felt bad sharing this, but we wanted everyone to know it wasnt the best experience. We have heard and read other reviews from the Fantasy in the past few months and the trend seems to be poor food or poor service in the dining rooms. It seems the promotion of staff to middle management level was done prematurely and the entire ship is dealing with Wish pulling 25% of their staff as well as some not coming back after Covid. Officers told us 60-75% of the staff was new and it was very obvious. We have been in touch with shoreside Disney to share our experience so maybe improvements can be made for other guests to not experience what we did on our honeymoon.

P.S. we had just sailed on the Magic in May for the first Med cruise and the food and service was night and day different. Even with Europe's restrictions and likely limited options for food/items due to supply chain, the Magic beat the Fantasy hands down even with sailing out of a port other than Canaveral.

My husband and I were also on this sailing. We are silver cc members ( we have sailed on the Dream and Wonder- first time on the Fantasy). I found the food in the mdrs to be that of what we’ve experienced on the other ships. We avoided cabanas as much as possible not because of the food quality/choices but because of fellow passengers and their behavior ( acting as if they’ve never seen food before). Service on all fronts was great. Sorry your cruise was not up to standards for you.

We sailed on the Fantasy after you, 9/24-10/1. We had excellent service everywhere we went. We ate in Cabanas a few times and while I agree that most of the buffet was the same each day, they did have a different meat at the carving station each time I looked (turkey breast, pork tenderloin, flank steak) and one day had a build your own nachos bar. I didn't pay attention on the other days as I was not getting anything to eat there. At the quick service windows, there was a sign each time we passed stating a build your own salad. I hope your next cruise is better for you.

thanks for answering. A shame though! I was so excited when Til we meet again returned on the Magic in August!

Thank you for this honest review. My husband and I are booked for early March ‘23, when we suddenly discovered we would be child free for a whole week for first time 24 years due to a school trip. DCL and the Caribbean was the easiest, most immediate thought. However, the terrible reviews just keep coming, and there are very common themes of past passengers experiencing the same disappointments. I also have celiac (gluten free) which is another reason we chose DCL or Disney because finding a place to take an allergy seriously for every meal makes vacations stressful. So, yes to DCL on that front. But we also sailed before covid, and that is our level of expectation. Now, it seems more expensive (factually) for less services and bad service and bad food.
i could just spend half the money and go to Animal Kingdom Lodge and those restaurants instead, but that doesn’t sound very romantc compared to snorkeling the caribbean.

I just got off the Fantasy this morning. The count was 2968 and it fell supercrowded. Im a classics girl esp Magic and I ve sailed a lot this past Summer on the Magic. It was day and night with this week. Service was mweh, we had a terrible dining team (even skipped dinner twice) and the food was rarely warm. We d have a 5 course meal in under 45 min thats how thzy just were there to bring us food and cash a tip. Stateroom host started off on a bad note as well but that went bztter through out the week. Pirate night was a joke: no buffet, no pirate music til late at night (cause the violin player just played random disney tunes) character lines were long which made one character run long so the next Ould be 10-15 min late so you werent able to make it the next onz you had in mind.
Sea you real soon was back but the toned down version in the afternoon wasnt.
Tbh I fell like I visit the cruise line favtory this week as in just being a number, nobody really caring about who you are or what you think

I just got off the Fantasy this morning. The count was 2968 and it fell supercrowded. Im a classics girl esp Magic and I ve sailed a lot this past Summer on the Magic. It was day and night with this week. Service was mweh, we had a terrible dining team (even skipped dinner twice) and the food was rarely warm. We d have a 5 course meal in under 45 min thats how thzy just were there to bring us food and cash a tip. Stateroom host started off on a bad note as well but that went bztter through out the week. Pirate night was a joke: no buffet, no pirate music til late at night (cause the violin player just played random disney tunes) character lines were long which made one character run long so the next Ould be 10-15 min late so you werent able to make it the next onz you had in mind.
Sea you real soon was back but the toned down version in the afternoon wasnt.
Tbh I fell like I visit the cruise line favtory this week as in just being a number, nobody really caring about who you are or what you think
We were on the fantasy 10/15 our server told us that that was the first time that they were trying to change the pirate Buffet and we’re going to do food on the deck out of flo’s cafe the head server said it was still going to be tacos and turkey legs. Of course, none of that was true when we were on the in May they had the midnight buffet. I’m not sure why they decided to do this. Dinners in October when we went were painfully slow, I was not impressed we are used to being one of the first ones to finish but this time we were one of the last out.

We had brunch at Pollo and our server was better than last time, but did not bring us the pastries or the bread that come with brunch yes, I could’ve asked for them but we didn’t need them but also I felt like it wasn’t my job to tell them something that they should’ve brought to the table that’s included It’s very frustrating. This is the second time at Palo we’ve had an experience like that.

We didnt ask either. As far as the breakfast items goes, we only ordered the apple waffle to share and we had a reservation at 11.30 so it was more like a lunch

We didnt ask either. As far as the breakfast items goes, we only ordered the apple waffle to share and we had a reservation at 11.30 so it was more like a lunch
Ours was 12:30 I believe, I just haven’t been impressed lately with the service of palo brunch. I’m hoping in December we will have a better experience on the dream.

We sailed on the 8-night Fantasy cruise last Oct. 29 to the Southern Carribean. All of our meals in the MDRs were fantastic. Our serving team was also great, extremely friendly and always quick to provide anything we asked for including two desserts and two lobsters one evening. My only complaint, hardly even worth mentioning, is that my eggs that I ordered each morning in Cabana's over-medium were overdone once. I guess I would also agree that the cookies on Castaway Cay were a bit stale tasting. Otherwise, we had a great cruise and are looking forward to boarding the Fantasy again in 1/24.

We have sailed on the fantasy 3 times since the restart, with another sailing coming up in April. No issues with any sailing. Cast members were just as great as before covid. Food was the same as before covid. We have zero complaints.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter