FAQ: Flying Out of Buffalo OR Detroit

Now. Detroit Hotels with an airport shuttle included, breakfast-early-preferred. Which have you used? Which would you recommend? Which would you definitely stay away from?

Thanks for ALL your input.

We just flew out of Detroit a couple weeks ago - NWA with no problems at all - we were actually 20 minutes early arriving back to Detroit.

We stayed at the Ramada. It was adequate - clean, comfortable. Of course it was a bit worn, but I think that is to expected of any hotel that is basically just overnight guests - in and out to catch a plane. They offer free breakfast which includes hot items - eggs, sausage, waffles, as well as the usual pastries, cereal and bagels. We let the front desk know what time we wanted the shuttle and it was there on time - loaded and unloaded our bags. You park directly across the street at the Airlines Parking, which is a very efficient place!

The Ramada had no parking vouchers when we checked in so I had to call their shuttle to pick us up at the airport (it was there already), take us back to the Ramada, unload our bags, drag them inside, get the voucher and then call the parking shuttle to come and get us! It was kind of a pain and wasted probably about 30 minutes of our time (could've been halfway home by then!) since we had to drive around to another terminal to pick up others and then do a drop at the Baymont. Next time I book there I will specify when I make the ressie to be sure they have a voucher for me when I get there.......or else :furious: LOL

I haven't flown for over 10 years and we are flying out of Buffalo for the first time in a week. We will cross at Fort Erie, as that seems to be the best, easiest route from the Hamilton area.

I have been reading about the Skycap and was wondering if they have that at the Buffalo airport? If they do, can anyone tell me where it is and how exactly to use it? We will already have our Southwest boarding passes which I will print out at work on Friday.

Also, any other tips or information, such as what types of food services there are to grab some lunch would be appreciate. DD and I have several food allergies so that can be difficult for us.

TIA

I haven't flown for over 10 years and we are flying out of Buffalo for the first time in a week. We will cross at Fort Erie, as that seems to be the best, easiest route from the Hamilton area.

I have been reading about the Skycap and was wondering if they have that at the Buffalo airport? If they do, can anyone tell me where it is and how exactly to use it? We will already have our Southwest boarding passes which I will print out at work on Friday.

Also, any other tips or information, such as what types of food services there are to grab some lunch would be appreciate. DD and I have several food allergies so that can be difficult for us.

TIA
The Skycap is available at Buffalo Airport,but to be honest the SWA desk is
about 20ft inside the front door and its a breeze checking in (if you already have your boarding passes printed off, you just approach the SWA desk and use one of the several touch screen monitors to weigh and check your luggage).Then in a few short minutes you are off to the Security checkpoint to go through to the departure lounge.
The food areas (at least some of them) ,are just outside Security although there are a few when you get through Security as well.
Here is a list of the food services available.

Monarch Newsstand & Gift Shop
Located: Upper Level, just inside Security
Hours: Sunday - Friday 5 AM - 7:30 PM, Saturday 5:30 AM - 7:30 PM
Phone: (716) 565-9333

The Monarch Newsstand & Gift Shop has a large, varied selection of hard to find items. Call ahead for gift wrap. Merchandise shipped worldwide. Business services and currency exchange available.

AllStars Bar
Located: Upper Level, just inside Security
Hours: 10 AM - 7 PM

Features a full bar, satellite TVs, and food menu featuring Niagara Grill items. Located in the upper terminal, just inside Security.

Burger King
Located: Gateway before Security
Hours: 5:30 AM - 8:30 PM, Monday through Friday, and 6 AM - 8 PM, Saturday and Sunday.

DNC Travel Hospitality Services
Food and Hospitality Service Operator (click here for more information)

The Coffee Beanery
Located: Across from the gift shop.
Offering a fine selection of regular and speciality coffees, lattes, cappuccinos, muffins, pastries and other refreshments. It also carriers Vito's Gourmet Deli sandwiches and salads.

Freshens
Located: Gate 4
Hours: 5 AM - 7:30 PM, Monday through Friday, and 6:00 AM - 7:30 PM, Saturday and Sunday.

Serving frozen yogurt, fresh fruit, pastries and coffee.

Jake's Bistro & News
Located: Near Gate 21
Hours: 5 AM - 8 PM

Salads, wraps, beverages, magazines, books. Eat in or to go.

Landmark Bar and Carvery
Located: Near Gate 9
Hours: 5 AM - 10:15 PM

Frank Lloyd Wright architecture with a full bar, table side service and freshly carved sandwiches daily - roast beef, smoked ham and turkey breast. Freshly baked breakfast pastries and gourmet coffee are served daily starting at 5:00 am.

Matties Texas Red Hots
Located: Near Gate 21 and Gate 4
Hours: 8 AM - 7 PM

A local favorite serving a variety of smoked sausages with all of your favorite toppings.

Niagara Grill
Located: Gateway before Security
Hours: 5 AM - 10 PM

Freshly baked breakfast pastries and hot off the grill sandwich and salad specialties offer a taste of local favorites. Beer available.

Vending
Coffee, snack and soda machines are located on the lower level in the baggage claim area.

Wings to Go
Located: Pick up in the Landmark Bar
Freshly carved sandwiches, chicken wings made to order, packed to fly or

I live in London and fly out of Detroit almost exclusively. Most recently we flew to Ft. Lauderdale with Air Tran and I would recommend them as an airline. If you book early they have some really cheap flights. We're going to WDW in October and got non-stop round trip flights for $175 which I thought was pretty good. We always park at Airlines Parking (the yellow buses).
I've left my car there many times and have never had any problem. On our most recent trip we parked there for the entire week for $54 with CAA discount. You have to show them your card when you leave but that saved us $8.00.

We've also stayed at the Airport Sheraton which was very clean and recently updated. It also has a pool which would be good to burn some energy off the kids who will be really excited. They have a park n' fly option but we've never used it. Here's the link for pricing:

Hope that helps!

Christine

I haven't flown out of detroit or buffelo before but I plan to now that I live in London Ontario. We have a shuttle from here to the detroit airport that only costs around $100 return. Still an incredible savings compared to flying out of London or Toronto.

Hi there, I am so happy for your post! I live in Wingham and after reading your post checked out shuttle service and am so happy!! I can drive to London which I don't mind doing, leave my car FOR FREE at the Ramada Inn in London , without staying there, and Robert Q airbus will take me to Detroit airport!

My DD and I are going to WDW in October. I have enough Airmiles to get one seat and was so excited about that, figuring I was saving a bundle,,, BUT when I called I found out you have to pay the taxes! So, for me and my daughter to fly out of Toronto with a connecting flight throuigh Montreal, it was still going to cost $859.00 :scared1:

I wasn't too sure about traveling to Detroit by myself but now with this shuttle service I am all set......now I have to start checking for prices from Detroit...

Thanks to everyone who has posted here, it has been very helpful:love:

Are the parking lots fairly safe at the airport to leave your car for extended periods of time? Thefts, damage etc.

Hi there, I am so happy for your post! I live in Wingham and after reading your post checked out shuttle service and am so happy!! I can drive to London which I don't mind doing, leave my car FOR FREE at the Ramada Inn in London , without staying there, and Robert Q airbus will take me to Detroit airport!

My DD and I are going to WDW in October. I have enough Airmiles to get one seat and was so excited about that, figuring I was saving a bundle,,, BUT when I called I found out you have to pay the taxes! So, for me and my daughter to fly out of Toronto with a connecting flight throuigh Montreal, it was still going to cost $859.00 :scared1:

I wasn't too sure about traveling to Detroit by myself but now with this shuttle service I am all set......now I have to start checking for prices from Detroit...

Thanks to everyone who has posted here, it has been very helpful:love:

Check out the cost of picking up the Rober Q in Windsor. You can drive to the Holiday Inn and pick up the shuttle there. It cost $25 per person each way the last time we took it.

We fly out of Detroit and find it to be safe, it is in a suburb of Detroit, not in a risky area. We also take the tunnel, we find it to be less of a wait than the bridge. I wouldn't leave anything of value in your vehicle, but I think that's true of any area.

We have stayed in a hotel and saved the parking. We are planning on staying in the lot on our next trip. Will let you know how it goes.

The blue lot at Metro is where I always park. $10.00 a day and they shuttle you to your terminal. We leave on Thursday!:banana: :banana:

Not sure if every is aware but Southwest will be releasing fares throught o October 30th on April 17th. We usually fly Northwest out of Detroit but figure we'll try Southwest out of Buffalo this year if prices are comparable as it's closer to home (Cambridge).

Not sure if every is aware but Southwest will be releasing fares throught o October 30th on April 17th. We usually fly Northwest out of Detroit but figure we'll try Southwest out of Buffalo this year if prices are comparable as it's closer to home (Cambridge).

Thanks for the terrific info!! It's great to have options and I always find options on the Dis boards! :thumbsup2

We are at the fairfield in Detroit as I type - very very nice hotel. Clean, good service and the free brekie was your standard fare - muffins, donuts, toast, breakfast sandwiches, fruit, yogurt - everything was fresh and pretty good.
There is some noise from the planes but it didn't keep me up at all last night.

Parking is right beside the hotel at the quick park - we have 8 days included and will have to pay for the other 2 days. If you are heading to the airport before 9am you have to pre-book the shuttle otherwise it comes about every 30 mins - we're catching it at 11am so we have time at the airport to have lunch before our 1:45 flight to San Juan.

I'd stay here again.

Any questions feel free to ask - I probably won't be online again though until after the March break.

Local Windsor radio station reporting about 1.15 hour wait to cross into US at the tunnel. No time frame given to cross at the bridge but traffic is backed up on Huron Church road.

Grab a coffee before entering the parking lots.

Gary

Are the parking lots fairly safe at the airport to leave your car for extended periods of time? Thefts, damage etc.

We flew out of Buffalo and left our vehicle in the preferred long term parking for the week and when we returned it was just the way we left it...coffee cup and all...DH forgot to take it out when we arrived...

Just got home last night and our car was safe and sound in one piece at the quick park in Detroit. Even my St paddy's day Mickey antenna topper was still there!

We just booked flights out of Buffalo for our August DVC trip. We paid $660 for the 3 of us with AirTran. I thought that was an awesome deal...
Westjet want $1760 return.. That's a big difference!

We are at the fairfield in Detroit as I type - very very nice hotel. Clean, good service and the free brekie was your standard fare - muffins, donuts, toast, breakfast sandwiches, fruit, yogurt - everything was fresh and pretty good.
There is some noise from the planes but it didn't keep me up at all last night.

Parking is right beside the hotel at the quick park - we have 8 days included and will have to pay for the other 2 days. If you are heading to the airport before 9am you have to pre-book the shuttle otherwise it comes about every 30 mins - we're catching it at 11am so we have time at the airport to have lunch before our 1:45 flight to San Juan.

I'd stay here again.

Any questions feel free to ask - I probably won't be online again though until after the March break.

By Fairfield do you mean the Marriot Fairfield? I'm looking for a good place to stay with 2 kids and need to leave the car for 8 nights so this sounds ideal.

Thanks

By Fairfield do you mean the Marriot Fairfield? I'm looking for a good place to stay with 2 kids and need to leave the car for 8 nights so this sounds ideal.

Thanks

I'm sure that is what they meant.We stayed there too just before March break.
It was a great hotel, so close to the airport and parking.
The hotel was only opened in June/07, so nice and new.
We had a room that had a pull out couch in one area, with a flat screen tv and lot of channels, and a queen bed in a semi-private area with another reg. tv. There was a small fridge, microwave and coffeemaker.
There were 4 computers to use to check-in at your airline, good for us flying SWA. There is a nice small indoor pool and whirlpool, and a nice workout room.
The only complaint was they were not prepared for all us Canadians leaving at March break with only one person at the desk,and a hotel with no vacancy. The lady servicing the cont. breaky was running out of food just before 10am.
We booked on line and got the room for $99+tax, with 8 days of parking.
I would stay there again in an instant.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter