"Fast Pass?" for medical reasons

JaxCon

Mouseketeer
Sorry if this has been answered a million times but I am trying to help a friend plan her first trip to WDW. Her 5yo son is going blind from a tumor, and I thought I have seen families in the past that have a "laynard type" pass for medical reasons. Does anyone know who they should contact at WDW to find out about this?

Thanks.

Hi,
You're thinking of a GAC.

Check out the sticky post above yours with the FAQ. The GAC is covered in post 6 of the FAQ.

The GAC is NOT a fast pass and it is not a lanyard. You may have seen the year of a million dreams fast passes-they are on a lanyard.

My DD has vision issues also and really the only place we have some bumps is MK-there are lots of stairs in MK. We really don't use it in different parks other than close to front seating in a show.

Cathy

Cathy is correct.
Check out post #6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
In order to request a Guest Assistance Card (GAC), she would have to think about what needs her child has. (The GAC is not given because of a specific disability, but because of needs related to the disability).

You might also want to check out post #3 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. It has links to past threads; one in particular that might be helpful was about planning a trip to WDW with a visually impaired 4 yr old.

Also, you might want to check into the Make A Wish organization. At one time, they only fulfilled wishes for children with terminal illnesses/conditions. Now, they also fill wishes for children with life threatening medical conditions. You can get more information on their website.

Thank you both, that is the info I needed. I guess the family I met one time had a make a wish pass - but they never called it that. My friend isn't comfortable applying for Make a Wish because money isn't an issue and she doesn't want to take anything away from another child.

Cathy - Thanks for the the tips about the stairs and the seating at shows with the GAC, that will help them out.

also if he has stamina issues, a GAC will allow them (if they ask at guest relations) to take their stroller into places where strollers are generally not allowed, such as into lines...

We carry our GAC in our lanyard! so you may have very well seen one carried that way.

We take it out to show it when needed but we DO wear it in a lanyard around our neck! You can carry it any way you want to, the cards are just that, nothing extra to carry it in, we bought our water proof zip lock type lanyard to protect our card from damage.

The only thing that I know of for sight impaired is to sit closer to the front and to avoid steps. I think it's very nice of you to help your friend.:grouphug:

Another good thing about the GAC for visually impaired person is that they are seated first for shows. As guests arrive the GAC and disabled people are in their own area or line. They are let in first which avoids the pushing, bumping, and shoving that can occur when people are let into a theater.

Definitely have them look into a stroller for a wheelchair if he tires easily.

Another good thing about the GAC for visually impaired person is that they are seated first for shows. As guests arrive the GAC and disabled people are in their own area or line. They are let in first which avoids the pushing, bumping, and shoving that can occur when people are let into a theater.

Definitely have them look into a stroller for a wheelchair if he tires easily.
Not all shows have the same setup, but these slides shows examples of a separate waiting area (this doesn't mean a shorter wait, just a wait in a less congested area).
2590Slide5.jpg

and, this one for Laugh Factory at MK.
2590P4110266.JPG

The chained off area to the right is for people with wheelchairs, ECVs, special needs with a GAC. The area on the left is the general area and people entering the general area will be encouraged to move all the way to the front and fill in all spaces.

The people in the separate waiting area do enter first, but that may be only 30 seconds earlier than the other guests.

The only show I can think of that doesn't have a separated waiting area is Voyage of the Little Mermaid at the Studio. Everyone waits there in the same room, although people with wheelchairs wait along the wall to the left. The room is dimly lit, with wood walls. Everyone enters the theater at the same time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter