Fast pass Needed for Rider Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re going about it exactly the same way however I’m really starting to think that it is highly unlikely we need to be so cautious. I feel bad for my little girl having to wait for my husband and I to switch off on FOP with her big sister when we could probably safely take her on N’avi while we wait and still be able to use RS for FOP. I’m not positive though so here we are

We will be doing this March 5. DH and ds6 have FP for FoP and plan to get rider switch. While they ride I will take ds8, dd4 and ds2 On Navi with our FP. I will then ride it with the RS pass after with ds6 and possibly ds8. When we do rider switch I stand back with the stroller and babes and wave to DH and the CM as DH asks for the rider switch. I do not approach the FP entrance as I don't want to clog up the line. Feel free to PM me and i will let you know how it goes. We have same plan for 7DMT.

I had this happen at the same ride. Additionally they wouldn’t let my son (2yo) in with my husband so we could conduct the “switch” after I rode. Isn’t that the point? They said he didn’t meet height requirement (of course he didn’t, we had no plans of him riding, but he couldn’t wait outside while we swapped?). Is this an error? We’ve never wanted to ride something enough to bother with rider switch so this is our only experience trying it in all our trips but it was totally frustrating.

This is the correct procedure at Disney. Only those who meet the height requirement are allowed in line.

So does anyone have any sense of how common it is for them to make the non-riders scan for FP, and what rides it might occur on?

So does anyone have any sense of how common it is for them to make the non-riders scan for FP, and what rides it might occur on?

We just spent mar4-10 there and did not have to scan non riders in order to get RS. The RS for 7dmt and FOP were for that day only. The rest, like TT, Soarin, EE, Space Mtn, Splash Mtn were all good til the end of the month.

We had no issues and the Cms were really nice. Just make sure to be standing by close with the baby.

We just spent mar4-10 there and did not have to scan non riders in order to get RS. The RS for 7dmt and FOP were for that day only. The rest, like TT, Soarin, EE, Space Mtn, Splash Mtn were all good til the end of the month.

We had no issues and the Cms were really nice. Just make sure to be standing by close with the baby.
Interesting, I've never seen the swap passes good only for that day. Very good to know, thanks for the feedback!

We’ve used RS for 7DMT and many others (though not FOP yet!). It seems silly they would require a FP from all in order to use RS, because then you don’t need RS! You’d just take turns using your FP?!?

We’ve used RS for 7DMT and many others (though not FOP yet!). It seems silly they would require a FP from all in order to use RS, because then you don’t need RS! You’d just take turns using your FP?!?

If you’ve got a family of 4 (parent 1, parent 2, tall kid, and short kid) and they all have a FastPass, you could still get RS so that tall kid could ride with both parents and neither parent has to ride alone.

Subscribing as we make FP+ reservations next month. We did it the old way in the past- I had half the FPs, DH had the others, and then we got the Rider Swap.

Concerned that some people are saying this doesn't work anymore, so keeping an eye on this thread!

Subscribing as we make FP+ reservations next month. We did it the old way in the past- I had half the FPs, DH had the others, and then we got the Rider Swap.

Concerned that some people are saying this doesn't work anymore, so keeping an eye on this thread!

Now the RS pass for 7DMT and FoP are good for that day only so that seems to be a nice compromise from Disney. Just be sure to work that into your plans!

At DL, we’ve never gotten FP for the person staying behind, but they do work differently here because we don’t book in advance. We rarely go ride something else while they ride though, unless there happens to be a short standby line nearby. I take the opportunity to feed her a snack, do a diaper change or let her out of the stroller to run around. FP lines are usually short and it’s not like she’s waiting for hours, and she doesn’t know any different anyways. She’s perfectly happy hanging out with me, or walking around.

For our WDW trip in June I am booking FP’s for everyone who wants to ride to ensure no one gets turned away. That would suck. :-( I can see why the rule may exist, to prevent people from intentionally gaming it.

Exactly! There would be no reason to use RS if everyone had a FP. You use the FP return line so theres no benefit for the RS if everyone has to have one. I guess that might allow the child to ride twice, but it also might not if you have more people in your party. If you have enough kids or are traveling with grandparents, it serves no purpose to use RS if everyone needs a FP. I will be very angry if the CMs say this to us, we have never had an issue having DH take the older daughter(s) on a rollercoaster while i take a smaller child on something tamer and we both have FP for our respective rides so we take roughly the same amount of time and then i can ride the rollercoaster with the girl(s) again.

I was at Animal Kingdom at Flight of Passage last week and overheard a cast member telling someone that in order to use rider switch both parties had to have a fast pass. The Mom did, the Dad did not. So they did not give him a rider switch.

Exactly! There would be no reason to use RS if everyone had a FP. You use the FP return line so theres no benefit for the RS if everyone has to have one. I guess that might allow the child to ride twice, but it also might not if you have more people in your party. If you have enough kids or are traveling with grandparents, it serves no purpose to use RS if everyone needs a FP. I will be very angry if the CMs say this to us, we have never had an issue having DH take the older daughter(s) on a rollercoaster while i take a smaller child on something tamer and we both have FP for our respective rides so we take roughly the same amount of time and then i can ride the rollercoaster with the girl(s) again.

There is still a benefit to RS if you have FP. You may come at the end of your window and then have a longer wait for the ride than you expected, and then your FP expires. Also, having RS means you don’t have to ride the second time immediately and can come back later, so the child who can’t ride isn’t stuck waiting twice in a row. At least at DL that’s always been the case.

Only one of you needs a fastpass. When you (with fastpass) go to ride, tell them you need a rider swap. Then later your husband (no fastpass) can go into the fastpass line and ride using the rider swap. The rider swap is valid for up to 3 people, so if you had others with you, your husband could take 2 other people. In this scenario, only one of you would use a fastpass and you would each ride once. Then your husband could save his fastpass for another ride, either to go with your kid on, or something like Space or BTM or Splash and then you could get a rider swap there as well so you could ride too.

You could also get fastpasses for both of you. When each of you uses your fastpass at different times, ask for a rider swap both times. Then you can each ride again using a rider swap. In this scenario, each of you could ride twice.

Trying to understand this- why aren't FP required for all people? Aren't people who do this given more FP than others??

The problem becomes....the child who is too short can get a FP somewhere else- super right? But then there is no ADULT with a fp to ride with them because they had to get a fp to ride using the swap. So basically the child who is too little loses out on a fp because there will be no adult to go with them. So do you give up to ride with your kid because they need an adult to go with them, or does the little one just lose out on a fp.

I have heard reports at 7DMT only by a CM with the name of Mike (only remember because its my husbands name). But we have never experienced it ourselves and have ridden it without all of us having fps. Thankfully my youngest is now tall enough for it. She is still not tall enough for FOP but we have had no issues getting a CS without a fp. Usually only one parent goes up and the other hangs back with the kid so they are not even close to the scanner to scan for a fp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!