"Fat like me" on abc 8pm est now

I watched it with my dd11. It's definately sad to see these children with such problems. My daughter is about 15 lbs overweight, and I really try to teach her how to eat better. I know that some of the things I try to teach her stick with her. I am really working on DH, like tonight I come home and he made a carrot cake. I figured the points and it was 16pts for a 1/12 of the cake. I know he thinks he is doing good by baking, but he doesn't seem to get that she can't do this if we provide her with the things that make her overweight. He did buy FF creamcheese to make it. Sometimes its so hard. I really hope she doesn't get a complex over her weight. I really want her to learn to eat healthier. I think she is learning.

This show also got us talking about the lunches at school. Those kids in the show were eating horribly. She does try to eat better at school. She has decided to try bringing a water to school instead of paying $1 per day for water. She has been drinking ice tea each day, and they have been talking about the fact that kids need to drink 6-8 glasses of water per day in Science. Glad to see the schools addressing these things too. Makes us sound not so crazy.

Melanie

Melanie, I think you are doing a great thing by helping your daughter learn to make healtheir choices when it comes to food. :)

Maybe you can buy a WW dessert cook book to keep around the house and encourage your DH to select a recipe from there. That way he can bake and you and your daughter can enjoy those treats instead.

Does she exercise with you?

At 11 years old she probably has some more growing to do. With your healthy eating tips, some exercise and puberty she will probably thin out and shoot right up and those 15 pounds will either melt away or just not look the same on her as she gets taller.

:teeth:

Not formally, once DH gets the basement finished (spackeling it now) we are going to get a treadmill. She says she wants to try this. She does get on the Dance Dance Revolution and do that once in a while. She does cheerleading and gymnastics, so she does get a little exercise doing that. Cheerleading is almost over though.

I want to find something for over the winter that she thinks is fun to do.

Thanks,
Melanie

I watched it with my husband and son, both of whom are thin. I think it opened their eyes to how being overweight affects people psychologically. My husband always says things like, "I know it's hard for you." and I reply with, "honey, you have no idea what it's like."

I couldn't watch - I felt so bad for those kids. I remember thinking I was a fat child, and when I look back at the pictures, I don't see it. Slightly chubby, maybe, but not fat at all. I guess that label stuck and that's why I got as heavy as I did.

My DS never had a weight problem. He takes after DH - tall and thin. I'm really thankful for that.

I didn't see the show, but this is a big concern for me too. I've struggled for years on how to deal with my DD. She's not overweight, but she stores fat in her stomach and on her thighs. You can tell by her body type that she is prone to having serious weight problems as an adult. It's so confusing to know how to deal with it. If you make it a big deal, will you cause her to develop an eating disorder? If you ignore it, will you cause her to develop obesity?

Fortunately, DH and I starting Atkins has gotten her interested in nutrition. She knows more at age 12 than I did at 39 years of age. She has voluntarily cut out most sugar and processed foods. I no longer cook pasta, rice and potatoes and she chooses not to eat them when she is out. She doesn't weigh regularly, but I have noticed that her pants are getting a bit looser. I sincerely hope that she is learning what she needs to know to stay healthy as an adult. :

I watched parts of the show because I was at work and could only catch glimpses of it when I was free. Luckily we have a tv in the waiting room so I was able to catch it.
The school was in my state, the next town over. They did an article in the paper. The news crew asked tons of schools and only two said they would allow the cameras in the school. I am glad Stratford High allowed this to be shown. I think it made those kids more aware of how they react to others and maybe it will make them think before they react the next time.
But alot of this doesn't start with the kids, it is the parents who need to be reminded.
My friend was at church on Sunday watching her son who was the alter boy. The woman behind her said "Look at that alter boy, he could take off on a windy day." She turned around and gave the woman a look and the woman said "What's your problem." She said "that boy is my son, and you need to learn that words hurt" The woman didn't say anything, but if a child hears their parents talking like that they don't learn how to behave themselves. Peggie

Thanks for the post Katholyn. If it weren't for your post I wouldn't have caught the show. We don't often get shows you all get in the US, but this show was on last night and DH and I watched it together.

DH is a life long skinny person and he was surprised by the way some of the kids acted. He was especially surprised about a reaction from a heavy girl that reacted when heavy Ally walked by. He also said that he has never in his life made fun of a heavy person and don't understand why people do. He admitted that on ocassion when he has seen a heavy person his thoughts are darn what does he or she eat, but he said he would never, ever verbalize it. I told him that it all boils down to the way he was raised. I have to believe that those who say cruel things or make a joke out of it that they have had a bad example from someone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter