Favorite Anaheim resort area place to stay and why-OFF PROPERTY

Mickeyflower

I find that The Dis is my happy place frequently
So many of the hotels in the area have changed we are having a difficult time choosing. So, tell me your favorite place to stay and why. N
The only criteria, off property, just tell me the name and why you enjoy staying there.
TIA☺

Two choices:
Candy Cane Inn: great customer service, Premium rooms w/breakfast delivered to the room, private shuttle, free parking, various discounts, never had a bad stay there!
Sheraton Park: very good service (not quite as good as the CCI, but very good!), free nights with Starwood points, nice beds, hotel-not-motel, close to the 24/7 CVS for snacks and sundries.

Last edited:
We're cheapish, and sometimes kinda lazy, so....

Park Vue Inn was initially our family favorite. It was refurbished in 2012-ish. It's at the crosswalk that the man entrance. It's clean. Good customer service. Nice linen/towels (that is, the towels were fluffy, and covered my whole big booty). Pool felt semi-secluded for being in the middle of a parking lot (brick and vine-covered fencing around the pool). But they stopped allowing "stacked" discounts, which used to take $40 off the price for us, and now only takes $10 or $15, which made them cost too much for our cheap selves.

Tropicana then became our choice. Refurbished in 2017. Love the bright, cheery king corner room (great for hubs, grandson, and I). It's clean. Customer service is fine (nothing bad, always pleasant, nothing over-the-top fantastic). It's clean and close. Used to be cheaper, but now it's not so much after the renovation.

Desert Inn and Suites. It's close. It's clean. It's cheap, comparatively. It's close. I refuse to use the pool. Did I mention it's cheap? Because it's selling point for me is that it's cheap (like $50 less than Tropicana, and $70 less than Park Vue). You get what you pay for, and I'd rather pay for 30 churros a day than pay $50 for a slightly shorter walk. I'm more cheap than lazy at the end of a Disney day. If you're a pool user, I'd stay away, though.

We haven't gone there yet but we are staying at the Tropicana next week. We booked back in the fall. In Feb. I was looking at the website again and noticed rates had dropped $20. Called and got it adjusted. Just last week I was looking again and noticed they had dropped another $15/night. Again, called to get it adjusted. So wherever you stay keep an eye on the rates!

We haven't gone there yet but we are staying at the Tropicana next week. We booked back in the fall. In Feb. I was looking at the website again and noticed rates had dropped $20. Called and got it adjusted. Just last week I was looking again and noticed they had dropped another $15/night. Again, called to get it adjusted. So wherever you stay keep an eye on the rates!
Thank you for that information. We are staying there June 7-10. I just want to their website and noticed a rate change. I am going to call later today and see if they will adjust ours.

We have always stayed at the HoJo. The rooms are nice, the grounds are lovely, the parking is free, etc. The main reason we stay there is because of the management. They are professional, very accommodating, and friendly. The last time we went to DLR, my daughter wanted to stay at the Castle. I was very impressed and would definitely stay there again.

Love the Anaheim Marriott. 10 min walk to The grand, beautiful modern rooms, and parking is only $12

The Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn is very nice, and it's right across the street from the Harbor Blvd entrance. I have also stayed at the Grand Californian and a few other hotels in the area. If you're looking off-property only, with proximity to the parks as well as a relatively affordable rate, you can't go wrong.

The property we have stayed ata most frequently is Desert Inn. The rooms are fine in that they have always been clean and comfortable and the stay includes breakfast. They do charge parking and resort fees, however even with those extra fees they are usually cheaper than the other hotels near the crosswalk. It is very nice to be so close. Whenever we've used a timeshare in Anaheim we've always regretted being so far from the parks.

Another favorite is Howard Johnson. They have a fun water play area for kids. The walk is further and the rooms are more expensive than other places just across the way from DL. I will only book at the HOJO if the price is right. I'll pay a little more, but I don't think it is worth twice the rate of Desert Inn. There is not a big difference in overall amenities or comfort and it is a longer walk.

Desert Inn and Suites. It's close. It's clean. It's cheap, comparatively. It's close. I refuse to use the pool. Did I mention it's cheap? Because it's selling point for me is that it's cheap (like $50 less than Tropicana, and $70 less than Park Vue). You get what you pay for, and I'd rather pay for 30 churros a day than pay $50 for a slightly shorter walk. I'm more cheap than lazy at the end of a Disney day. If you're a pool user, I'd stay away, though.

Just curious...what's up with the pool? Anyone?

Just curious...what's up with the pool? Anyone?
First time I used the hot tub, I came out with a chemical burn and follicilitis. Chemical burn to the legs at Disneyland is not enjoyable when you only brought jeans. A pool guy I know said that if a pool has an overwhelming chlorine smell, it's not in proper balance; a well-balanced pool will smell lightly like chlorine, but not a knock-you-on-your-butt chlorine smell. That was several years ago.

I stayed earlier this year and didn't even try it. I was on the 3rd floor walkway near the (indoor!) pool, and could seriously smell it heavily. They had it closed another day for maintenence, but it smelled just as powerful in the says after that.

I checked the Tropicana Inn and it looked like we could save about $70 on our stay. I called to see if they would do an adjustment. I just got an email confirmation that is $175 less than what was originally quoted. Thanks again acboys.

Desert palm. Decently close, lots of places to grab bottled water or snacks or beer for the roll right nearby. Breakfast included, which involves make your own golden malted waffles, which are the same waffles as Mickey head waffles.

I also liked country inn and suites, because of room and service and the same waffles! But it’s a walk.

I’ve liked hojo but haven’t stayed there in ages. They got too spendy for me. And malted waffles were calling.

The place I stayed that I did NOT like was the motel that the grand legacy was, which was a Ramada motel, and we stayed there as they renovated just before they became the GL. There was nothing about that stay that I liked, apart from a funny kid moment that had nothing to do with the motel.

We recently stayed at the Hyatt House. They provide breakfast in the morning and it is a short walk (less than 1/2 mile) from the entrance. We loved that we were able to get a one bedroom suite for less than staying on site. The suites come with a full kitchen so if you wanted to cook to save more money, you absolutely could.

off site..... Candy Cane Inn. As mentioned earlier, great customer service, good expanded continental breakfast, nice grounds, decent pool and hot tub, free parking, easy, easy walking distance plus their own shuttle (should you decide you don't walk to walk.....especially nice after a long day in the park!). oh, and right next door to 7-11 and another small market.

Desert Palms - Clean rooms, 10 minute walk and you don't have to cross Harbor Blvd., we really like the hot breakfast and offerings change day to day, great customer service, and they let us leave our car there after checkout while we go to Downtown Disney. We have stayed here 3 times and would love to again this year, but their prices have gone up quite a bit for August.
Desert Inn & Suites - Staying here this year and have stayed here years ago. I like that they are right across the street, rooms are clean, our extended family of 10 can stay in one of the suites, basic continental breakfast, much cheaper than anywhere else I priced this year.

Granted it is a bit further away than most of the hotels mentioned so far, but my wife and I love the Staybridge Suites on S Manchester Ave.

Service there is always with a smile and the staff help out no end. Rooms are a decent size with a kitchen installed too; so it is possible to save some dollars and cook / eat something in the room.

The rooms are also very comfortable, plenty of soft fluffy pillows too. They use the ART transit service and share this with the Holiday Inn.

It is close to at least one mini-market although a 7-Eleven is not too much further up West Katella Ave, heading towards the 4-way crossing where Walgreens, CVS and another 7-Eleven are based, where you'd turn right to head on up Harbor Blvd towards DL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter