Favorite Disney souvenir from childhood?

[GALLERY=]big al.jpg [/GALLERY]

Image of a brand new one found on line, but I have a more well worn Big Al like this that I got in 1977.....wow, 40 years ago. He still has a place of honor in my house.

I didn't get to WDW for the first time until I was in my early 20s (1999). But, a family friend went in the late 70s or early 80s and brought back glass mugs with me and my siblings' names etched in and Mickey etched on the other side. These were our favorite glasses to drink from at home growing up - there were five of us so it was nice to have something that we didn't have to share ! LOL! My mom still has them in her china cabinet. We are welcome to drink from them when we visit but they can't go with us when we leave - even though all five of us are nearing middle age with kids of our own starting to leave the nest :) Obviously they were well-made and thick/sturdy - as they didn't break after years of handling and use by us rowdy kiddos. They hold lovely memories for all of us.

Last edited:
No way! I have the same Small World music box!!! I think my parents picked it up as a souvenir on a Disney World trip they took in the 80s before I was born! I remember playing with it all the time when I was little, and still have it somewhere! My all-time favorite are my Disney pins. We took a Disney Cruise when I was 6, and my Daddy bought a whole bunch of pins and put them in a bag. Every hour I got to reach in and pull out one of my new surprise pins! All these years later, I still collect pins, but those are my favorites! My Mom's favorite Disney souvenir is a squeaky rubber doll of Jock the Scottie from Lady and the Tramp. She picked him out as her souvenir on a trip to Disneyland (probably early to mid 60s) when she was a kid. We still have him too! Disney souvenirs have lots of sentimental value in my family! :)

OMG I'm so jealous!!!! That's fantastic that you still have it!!! I love that the souvenirs have such sentimental value for you!!! I don't buy it if it's regular crap, but there are some really wonderful things to be found that tie me to a memory etc.

I used to have a MASSIVE Piglet and Pooh. I have no idea what happened to them now, but I used to take them all over with me. I used to buckle them in the seat belt and everything. I've been searching for them online, but I haven't come across and yet.

Isn't that just the most frustrating??? The only music box I've found says Disneyland on it, and the one I had as a kid was from WDW, so I know I'm being finicky BUT....

When I was a kid, we lived about 2 hours from WDW, so we went at least once a year. Every trip, my grandma got me a new glass figurine of a Disney character. I think she liked them more than I did, but my favorite was the Bambi one, not because I loved Bambi, but because it was just beautiful, really captured young Bambi's innocence. I had them in a box in our old house, but I couldn't find them after our move :(. I've looked for something similar on more recent trips and couldn't find anything of similar quality.

I definitely agree that it's harder and harder to find the really good quality souvenirs at a reasonable price. That's not just with Disney either, but the way things are made now in general. It makes me sad that we're such a disposable society.

I can't remember what the toys were, but the memory surrounding them made them favorites for years. I was 4 in the 90s and we were at Pizza Planet. It was my first visit, and I was all about toy story at that age. So, after we ate my parents took me down to the arcade area and let me play one of the claw machines. Well wouldn't you know it, just like in the movie, I won double prizes at the claw. It's one of my earliest memories!

Hahahahaha that's amazing!!!!!

I too have the monorail license... and have to find them, but recently got it in the 2000's not when i was a child.
I remember going in 1996/1997, we stayed off site and went to a small store that sold Disney items...I don't think it was a Disney store, but anyway. I got an autograph book and a stuffed pluto. I don't know where the pluto went to but I recently found the old autograph book that still has a few autographs. :)

I also got a vintage Figment. :) I love figment. :) (You can follow me on instagram under figment_girl86)

Oh how wonderful to have found the autograph book after all that time!!!

Mine is a Big Al cookie jar. My mother bought it on our very first trip to WDW in February 1979. It was on our kitchen counter for many years. My sister has it now.

I would shame-facedly fight with my sister over the rights to that. :D But then, she's not the Disney freak so she'd just hand it over.

2 that I got rid of over the years :(:confused3:sick:..... A super cool frosted glass polynesian tiki cup that I got at a dinner once...and an awesome Big Al stuffie I bought when I was 16..... it was so much bigger and cooler than the ones sold today..... I can't believe I didn't keep this stuff

Live and learn right? I sometimes get bummed that my mom didn't hold on to my WDW t shirts because she didn't get me character ones, she got me the neat park ones and I'd have loved to have displayed them now. So retro-cool.

My Mom recently found an old Epcot Bag that my grandparent had purchased for me on one of our many trips to WDW (they live in Florida so we would go often). I'm thinking of taking it to the park with me when we go this time and having the characters sign it but it would be an extra bag to carry around with us. Anyway, it's just neat because it's from the 80s and you can't get them anymore.

My mom gave me her old WDW canvas tote that hadn't seen the light of day since the 80s!!! It isn't too big, but it's still not convenient for park purposes for me, but I love it to pieces.

I had an autograph book that had Walt Disney World on it. I was too shy, as a child, to get autographs from characters so I signed their names myself. I recently found the book at my dad's house and we had a good laugh. Saw everything from Donald Duck to Mark Summers.

Was also very partial to a large plush Mickey Mouse that you can place a cassette tape in his back and play it.

tumblr_orxffbz71d1r403guo1_400.jpg

On my first trip (or second trip, I can't remember) I was four or five and we were staying at the Polynesian. At one of the stores there, they had rows of these ceramic figures that I absolutely fell in love with, and Aurora here was my favorite. My parents got her for me, and against all odds she survived my childhood. Now she's sitting in a cabinet in the dining room, and she's one of my favorite decorations.

I don't know how to post a picture but my favorite childhood souvenir is a set of salt and pepper shakers from Disneyland. They were my mothers from the first and only trip we had to Disney as a child. I believe I was 10 and that would have been 55 years ago. The set has Tinkerbell on them. I cherish them and the memories I still have from the trip. My mother passed away 7 yrs. ago so I have nobody to ask if I am correct on the date.

I loved my Alice In Wonderland figurine! I'm hoping to find another one like it in August :) I think I raised this question another time, but does anyone know if they still do those Disney figurines? I would love another Alice one and Wendy Darling! I'm not talking about realllllly pricey one's but just maybe something from World Of Disney or the Emporium......

I had an autograph book that had Walt Disney World on it. I was too shy, as a child, to get autographs from characters so I signed their names myself. I recently found the book at my dad's house and we had a good laugh. Saw everything from Donald Duck to Mark Summers.

Was also very partial to a large plush Mickey Mouse that you can place a cassette tape in his back and play it.

That is ADORABLE!!!! And still a great memory, even with only watching the characters from afar. :D

tumblr_orxffbz71d1r403guo1_400.jpg

On my first trip (or second trip, I can't remember) I was four or five and we were staying at the Polynesian. At one of the stores there, they had rows of these ceramic figures that I absolutely fell in love with, and Aurora here was my favorite. My parents got her for me, and against all odds she survived my childhood. Now she's sitting in a cabinet in the dining room, and she's one of my favorite decorations.

That is seriously amazing! I don't think anything breakable made it out of my and my siblings' childhood. I wonder if you can find others???

Back in the 80's, I bought an amazing bathing suit in Magic Kingdom. It had solid blue, red, and yellow legs, but when it got wet, Mickey heads appeared all over it! Best bathing suit ever! I've asked the last 8 years and the Cast Members have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'm excited to see other people posting the ceramic figurines! My oldest/favorite Disney childhood souvenir is my ceramic Tinkerbell. She started my Disney ceramic bug. My collection is very small as I had to fund my addiction on my 9-year old allowance. Tink was bought in Magic Kingdom by my parents, but all the rest I got in the Disney store at our local mall. I don't remember the exact cost, but I remember thinking they were pretty cheap, even as a kid. As a child I got Wendy, Daisy, Nala, and Baby Simba. I was hoping to get more as an adult, but they just don't make them like that anymore. The Lenox Tink on the left was a gift from my father when I was in college. Now I get the occasional Jim Shore figure instead. My big collection is pins these days. If anyone wants to know what anything else in the cabinet is, let me know. I'm typing on my phone and it's taking forever. XD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts