Favorite Horror Movies? (Official Horror Movie Thread)

"The Other" 1972
Don't read anything about it. Not gory and not really scary but a great little movie. Has one of the most horrifying scenes in it.

I'm now looking forward to the new Kristen Stewart creature feature that opens this weekend. Underwater monsters are a particular jam of mine.

I'm now looking forward to the new Kristen Stewart creature feature that opens this weekend. Underwater monsters are a particular jam of mine.

I watched it and it was pretty bad. It's like Alien but with less substance

I was very young and it was a 2 show episode on television (I think CBS)....Salem's Lot

Theater:
Prince of Darkness

The Thing
Halloween
The Fog
An American Werewolf in London
Hellraiser
The Exorcist
The Shining
Sleepy Hollow
Dawn of the Dead original and remake

So it's newer, but I was very impressed by Doctor Sleep. Nothing felt gratuitous, the pacing was perfect, the contrast of the good guys vs. the bad guys was very "real".

Like another poster I am a die-hard Disney fan (and cry at most Disney movies) and people are quite surprised when I tell them Horror is my favorite genre of book or movie. I grew up watching all the Creature Feature movies on Saturday nights, loved Halloween and most of the ones already mentioned. Stephen King is a go to of mine. Loved Christine, The Shining, Carrie, Salem's Lot, Pet Semetary (original), It, Dr. Sleep, etc. but also from the 70's a movie that scared me to death was "Race With the Devil" with Peter Fonda. That was creepy!! Its about two couples vacationing in an RV and they witness a Satanic Cult murder and are chased through the desert.

I do not like slasher films like Chainsaw Massacre or Saw. Loved the Hills have eyes! Also loved The Ghost and Mr. Chicken with Don Knotts when I was really young....scary, funny..... "and they used Bonami"

Just got back from seeing The Lodge and it was OK....a bit draggy but had some suspenseful parts. A bit of The Others in it.

Loved Joy Ride with Paul Walker...not really horror but more suspense.

I liked Bird Box and saw the preview of A Quiet Place II which looks good

Maximum Overdrive with Emilio Estevez was campy and fun...not sure it could be called Horror though.

Oh, and a movie that kept me up nights thinking about it and scared me more than most horror films was called "The Day After" with Jason Robards (1983) about a nuclear attack on the United States and what a small town went through.

MJ

Last edited:
Exorcist was great. I mean. It could happen right? Friday the 13 part 2. When Jason’s moms head is on the table. Great scene. I was like 10 when that came out. Still have to watch something after before bedtime. Lol
The conjuring is also great.

So it's newer, but I was very impressed by Doctor Sleep. Nothing felt gratuitous, the pacing was perfect, the contrast of the good guys vs. the bad guys was very "real".

Rose the Hat (Rebecca Ferguson) in Dr. Sleep was awesome...exactly like I pictured her in the book! I didn't realize it was the same actress from the Greatest Showman (Jenny Lind).

MJ

Is anyone else old enough to remember The Tingler movie? It featured a huge centipede-like creature that would get into your spine and kill you, unless you screamed loud and long enough. During the movie someone associated with the theater would enter on stage and announce in a dramatic voice that the Tingler had gotten loose in the theater and that everyone should start screaming. Scared my friend and me half to death and we screamed for our lives!!

I'm normally not a big horror fan, but two newish horror flicks that really got me, are the two new Jordan Peele movies:
Get Out
Us

Get Out mostly just creeped me out (the thought of what was being done really gets me), and had me thinking for a long time.
Us... yeah.. I almost didn't watch it at all because the trailer alone really got me. It was definitely a fun ride, but had me looking over my shoulder the whole film.

Has anybody seen Cabin 28?

I watched it over the weekend. It's based on actual events. It really creeped me out. Usually if I Google the true story after I watch the movie, that helps. It didn't work this time. I think it's because the case is still unsolved. :scared1: I had to watch an episode of Criminal Minds before i could go to bed. :rotfl:

I LOVE horror movies, so I don't even think I could begin to make a list. It's my go to Genre. I love many of the ones listed, and would add Train to Busan and Cargo. Both were fantastic, AND had me sobbing.
Midsommar, I didn't find scary at all. I did enjoy it, and I would like to see the uncut version, only because I cannot imagine what they filmed that was so bad that it was worse than what was in the finished film.
Was You're Next mentioned yet? That is one of my favorites. Also love the horror comedies, like Happy Birthday 2 U, 1 and 2, and Ready or Not.
And It Follows.
Ok, will stop before this post becomes 10000 words.
You're Next was one of my favorites! Also I really enjoyed Ready or Not as well. Shawn of the Dead is another great horror comedy. It Follows creeped me out to no end.
I also love the new IT movies and Doctor Sleep was pretty good. Most Stephen King adaptations leave me feeling a bit disappointed but those have been fairly good.
I've seen all the movies in the Conjureverse with one of my best friends and which mostly cheesy they are good fun.
I also loved Cabin in the Woods, loved Get Out, Creep 1 and 2.
Love Dawn of the Dead, the Haunting, the Netflix Haunting of Hill House series.
Guillermo Del Torro horror movies are great too like Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, Crimson Peak, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, and Pans Labyrinth all are delightful in different ways.
Oh and this one movie that I hope one of you has heard of called Session 9. Such a creepy psychological thriller/horror jam that was right up my alley.

You're Next was one of my favorites! Also I really enjoyed Ready or Not as well. Shawn of the Dead is another great horror comedy. It Follows creeped me out to no end.
I also love the new IT movies and Doctor Sleep was pretty good. Most Stephen King adaptations leave me feeling a bit disappointed but those have been fairly good.
I've seen all the movies in the Conjureverse with one of my best friends and which mostly cheesy they are good fun.
I also loved Cabin in the Woods, loved Get Out, Creep 1 and 2.
Love Dawn of the Dead, the Haunting, the Netflix Haunting of Hill House series.
Guillermo Del Torro horror movies are great too like Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, Crimson Peak, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, and Pans Labyrinth all are delightful in different ways.
Oh and this one movie that I hope one of you has heard of called Session 9. Such a creepy psychological thriller/horror jam that was right up my alley.
I think we are movie soul mates LOL.
Crimson Peak sadly, does not hold up to multiple viewing. I loved it the first time in the theater, at home again, it's kinda silly.
I have seen Session 9!! It was pretty good.
Creep, loved those way more the 2nd time around, and the 2nd was better than the first!
Haunting of Hill House was amazing.
I like infection type of movies too, and have watched way too many recently. Watched a really good subtitled one called Flu a couple of weeks ago, really enjoyed that one.
Watched the Lighthouse also last weekend, and spent the next couple of days asking wth did we just watch?? So weird.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter