Favorite Non-Park Activities

CodeGoddess

DIS Veteran
My sister and I are coming in for a four day weekend in April to do the Star Wars 5k. We just got back from our big family trip (visit #20 for me) and are a bit park'ed out with the crowds.

We have been wondering about other activities/tours/stuff to do. What are some of your favorite things to do that we may never have done?

We love visiting other WDW resorts just to sightsee and have a drink. Fort Wilderness’ guests put up amazing decorations during the holidays, especially at night. Some resorts have free tours, like Wilderness Lodge and AKL. We’ve rented a speedboat at Grand Floridian. WDW mini golf is fun, too.

Resort hop
Rent the sea racer boats from one of the MK resorts and take a tour of Seven Seas and Bay Lake
Mini Golf
Water parks

If you are staying on property check to see what activities are happening throughout the day and into the night!

Listening to the music in the evenings at Disney Springs.
Relaxing by the pools.
Using the gym.
Taken the boat rides between resorts by the MK. MK-GF-Poly-MK MK-WL-MK
Listening to the music in GF in the afternoons Starts around 3:00PM.
Walking the Boardwalk in the evenings BY BWV. Boardwalk shows start around 8PM.
Taken the Boat rides in Disney Springs. DS-OKW-DS DS-FQ-DS
Take the tram between resorts.

Everyone raves about seeing the animals at Animal Kingcom Lodge. The resort is beautiful, but there never seem to be very many animals or a big variety of animals when I visit. And I’ve been many times at different points in the day.

The cultural activities, however, are less on people’s radar and SUCH a treat/asset to the resort. You can totally participate even if not staying there. You can hear CMs talk about where they’re from, take a tour of the African Art, play traditional instruments, etc.

As a DVC owner if I'm visiting more than a four days I usually spend a day checking out some of the other DVC deluxe resorts. Maybe enjoying a meal/drink at one of the resort restaurants and then visit Disney Springs to do a little shopping. As far as tours my favorite is scuba diving at Epcot but you have to be a certified diver to do that.

Backstage tour or the Starlight Safari tours do not require park admission. Disney Springs has the amphibacars and the balloon if the weather cooperates. Resort hopping is fun especially at Christmas. Tea at the GF.

Rent a pontoon boat on bay lake/seven seas lagoon!!

I love this idea. I'm assuming your plans were changed due to the virus but if you rebook, I'd say this is a great idea.

We've also done mini golf, catching live music at Disney Springs, shopping and cocktails at Boardwalk. I'd also consider doing the paint and wine if it's still being offered.

In the past few years we've been fortunate to use our DD CM discount. We've stayed at lovely resorts in rooms with a balcony (love it!) We just love to hang out at the room, no agenda (maybe ADR for dinner) sip some wine on the balcony and watch the world go by.....bliss...

Well... This will depend on whether you’re driving or flying and whether you’ll have a car, and also perhaps on where you‘re coming in from, but when we visit WDW the one off-site activity we always find time to fit in is an airboat tour on one of the lakes. Some companies are better than others, but the best are magical if you like seeing Florida wildlife in its natural habitat.

I have a particular fondness for alligators... 🐊 and eagles... 🦅

There's something special about watching a new Disney release at the cinema in Downtown Disney... if you ever have the opportunity to do that, I'd highly recommend!

The cultural activities, however, are less on people’s radar and SUCH a treat/asset to the resort. You can totally participate even if not staying there. You can hear CMs talk about where they’re from, take a tour of the African Art, play traditional instruments, etc.

Oh, yes! I definitely agree with this. There's a cultural tour of Sanaa restaurant, focusing on the whys of some of the architecture, a food tour of Boma and Jiko, lobby tours, evening campfire, cupcake making, etc. etc. I must admit, though, I'm not sure how you find the times for all these activities except they're on the board outside Boma restaurant. Maybe you can call the front desk?

My sister and I are coming in for a four day weekend in April to do the Star Wars 5k. We just got back from our big family trip (visit #20 for me) and are a bit park'ed out with the crowds.

We have been wondering about other activities/tours/stuff to do. What are some of your favorite things to do that we may never have done?
I've stayed off site twice. If you wanted to venture out, my best friend and I loved International Drive. Icon Park is great and we've got an obsession with having to visit a Madame Tussauds if there's one in a city we're visiting. The parks take so much of our energy, so just like one would take a rest day at a resort on site, we would do the same off site and see what Orlando has to offer, which is a lot compared to where I'm from LOL

Kayak, bike rentals at the different resorts and Boardwalk. Dinner at AKL then watch the animals on the savannah. Dole whip at Poly, monorail, walk at Wilderness, fireworks at the beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter