Favorite Snack/Appetizer to Bring to Holiday Gatherings

run.minnie.miles

DIS Veteran
Hi All!

I have a few holiday gatherings to attend this year that require hours of travel. It seems that the host usually provides the main dish and everyone else brings snack/appetizer type foods to share. I have my usual recipes, but am looking for new ideas that travel well.

What are your favorites??

I am the fresh fruit tray queen for all seasons...since it's winter, that now normally means peeled clementines, fresh pineapple slices, grapes, and either apple or pear slices (whatever is the best deal). I make a pumpkin vanilla cream cheese dip to go along with it if I'm motivated. It works as snack, dessert, or main course add...and I never tend to go home with any fruit:)...And I never use melon b/c I hate almost all melon, and melon tends to be 2/3rds of every grocery fruit tray, so if anyone copies my idea, we still have totally different fruit:)...

To make this travel well, make the dip in advance and just do the fruit prep work (peeling, cutting) on the other end (for the apples or pears, you'll need a lemon and a bowl of water to just drop them in as you peel and slice, so they don't brown, so you can skip and just use 3 fruits or add strawberries if they look okay...this is always iffy in December, but possible...or you can dice mango or kiwi, which I've also done and they are great in this season:)...

My favorite snack to bring is bacon wrapped dates and skewer with a toothpick. If you want to get fancy you can stuff them with blue cheese or goat cheese. Do all the prep at home then bring them in an ice chest and they just pop in the oven for maybe 10-15 minutes to cook the bacon. If you don't want to bother with an ice chest you could freeze them and they should be defrosted in time when you arrive two hours later, especially since it isn't 100 degrees right now. No one wants to clean up bacon grease so if I am bringing them to someones else's house I bring a disposable aluminum pan that can be tossed. They sound weird, but I usually do one round where I walk around with them on a party plate as they are so yummy right out of the oven. My tray is empty in minutes.

Christmas Spinach Dip / Pumpernickel bowl.
This is a favorite of mine
It travels well.
I make the dip ahead of time and just keep in a tupperware bowl .( I put it in a small soft sided lunch cooler bag for travel).
I hollow out and bag all the pumpernickel bread ahead of time and store in a resealable big baggie.
I usually take an extra loaf of pumpernickel bread with me.
Decorate with cherry tomatoes and cucumber slices around the bowl.

I sometimes make my own spinach dip using Knorr's mix however I have found a few good spinach dips at my local grocery store so if I am pushed for time I will just use a store bought dip.
https://www.knorr.com/ca/en/recipe-ideas/classic-spinach-dip.html

Hugs Mel
always-requested-spinach-dip-gb-x.jpg

Last edited:

My favorite snack to bring is bacon wrapped dates and skewer with a toothpick. If you want to get fancy you can stuff them with blue cheese or goat cheese. Do all the prep at home then bring them in an ice chest and they just pop in the oven for maybe 10-15 minutes to cook the bacon. If you don't want to bother with an ice chest you could freeze them and they should be defrosted in time when you arrive two hours later, especially since it isn't 100 degrees right now. No one wants to clean up bacon grease so if I am bringing them to someones else's house I bring a disposable aluminum pan that can be tossed. They sound weird, but I usually do one round where I walk around with them on a party plate as they are so yummy right out of the oven. My tray is empty in minutes.
mmmmmm so you wrap the date with raw bacon and then just bake?

A very simple snack that I've also brought are vanilla and chocolate drizzled pretzel rods. I get the pretzel rods from Aldi's, I get some Michael's vanilla and chocolate candy melts...I dip the rods in vanilla, drizzle on some chocolate, let dry and call it a day. Sometimes I'll use sprinkles, mini choco chips, chopped nuts, or toasted coconut, but just the vanilla/chocolate is awesome...

I've never had it, but I am looking at it for this year - the Harry and David Pepper and Onion Relish, mixed with cream cheese and served with crackers. Gets good reviews.

https://www.harryanddavid.com/h/gourmet-foods/relish/218733?categoryId=400150697

It is the best! We serve it with tortilla chips.

I have had this! It is YUMMY!!! Unfortunately I don't have one near me any more and never remember to actually order online.

Our Fresh Market carries it if you have one near you. :)

I just made these for a birthday party last Sunday, and was requested to bring them to Thanksgiving.

Phyllo tartlets with a small piece of Brie, and then either a dollop of raspberry jam, or honey and almonds. You can prep them at home, and put them back in the trays the tartlets came in, so they will transport easily. You could definitely make them ahead, freeze them and transport. Then either cook them from frozen or thawed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter