Fear of Flying - need suggestions...

SnoWhiteRabbit

DIS Veteran
Anyone have some suggestions for someone VERY afraid of flying? I have always been a nervous flyer...I know logiacally, it's safe, and I love to travel so I just make myself do it...

...but I haven't flown since 9/11...(and my DH was flying on 9/11 last year - he was on a United flight from Newark to SF that departed about 1 hour prior to United flight 93 from Newark to SF that crashed in PA. Needless to say, it was very stressful trying to reach him and making sure what flight he was on). We were planning on a trip to WDW that OCt. and I had to cancel because I couldn't get on a plane...

Now, we are going this OCt., but I am VERY nervous about and I am afraid I am going to have a panic attack on the plane.

Any suggestions for me (I am flying with my DH and our 3 tiny children - ages 8 months, 2 yrs , and 4yrs). I'm wondering if I can take something, but I can't be completely incapacitated because I need to take care of my children....

HELP! Thanks. :eek:

Hello from a fellow white knuckle flyer! (And I travel/fly on business a LOT -- go figure!)

1) I always ask for an aisle seat. That way I am away from the window. If possible, I ask to sit over the wing -- that way the view of anything out the window is pretty much blocked.

2) Bring lots to read. As soon as I get seated, I try to bury myself in a book or magazine.

3) Take deep breaths when you feel the anxiety rising. Breathe slowly and evening.

4) Try to nap. I'm not very successful at this, but sometimes I can sort of doze a little and it helps.

5) If you begin to get real white-knuckled, talk to a flight attendant (assuming they are not busy). This has helped me more than once.

beerchug.gif

Originally posted by Eeyore1954

1) I always ask for an aisle seat. That way I am away from the window. If possible, I ask to sit over the wing -- that way the view of anything out the window is pretty much blocked.

Try to keep in mind though, if you do sit over the wing that you are also sitting over where the landing gear are located. So during takeoff and landing you may feel or hear the landing gear coming up or going down. Also you can hear the flaps and slats on the wing moving during these times as well. It is nothing to be afraid of, just normal aircraft operation, but often times the sounds are more pronounced when you are sitting over the wing.

Don't know if this reply will be at all helpful to you....BUT...fear is REAL...and education about air flight is extremely important...you have been given a great deal of that here already.....
Things have changed since 9/11....and you have lived that firsthand....
Your question was...."Is there anything I can take"???....I assume that you are referring to a mild tranquilizer of some sort.....
There is no reason that you should not be provided this information...
I am a mental health professional with over 20 years of experience...I am flying to WDW on 12/7.....I will be taking a Xanax tablet before departure.....(prescribed of course....and only a small dosage)....
You will need to speak with your physician.....mild tranquilizers are prescribed frequently for various routine medical procedures ......and are not at all incapacitating in small dosages...(provided you do not have a substance issue)....
Wishing the best for you!!!

What helped me tremendously were three things: fearofflyingghelp.com, chatting with a Delta pilot online and xanax.
The website was put up by a pilot who takes you through the whole process of flying, beginning with planning for the trip. He talks about all the noises and sensations and turbulance and everything you could think of. He addresses the irrational fears, the claustrophobia, etc, and it was very helpful for me.
Then I posted on the Delta board and a pilot IMed me saying he has babies and would be in another line of work if he thought he was going to make them orphans. I asked him what should I tell myself when I feel turbulence and I feel that panic feeling rising. He said tell yourself a delta pilot told you a plane never crashed because of turbulence. It doesn't sound like much, but it was comforting to talk to him.
Then I went to my MD and told her about my tip and my fears, and she gave me xanax. I took it before take off and I too had the feeling of "who cares". I wasn't incapacitated at all, I was functioning normally, but the edgy fear was gone.
Please try that website and tell me what you think.

Thanks for posting that website and info Aisling.It is full of info. As a medically retired Major Airline Pilot with "white knuckle" relatives I have recommended this site time and time again.It is the most common phobia out there. Please feel free to e-mail or PM with any further questions that you may have.Maybe you know someone with a background in Psychology or a pilot in the area.It can sometimes be more beneficial to talk to someone in person to ease your fears.

http://www.fearofflyinghelp.com/

I agree with the Xanax! My doctor gave me just enough for my trip to Miami last Dec. I have always been a nervous flyer, had panic attacks before 9/11, but I did not want to be out of it or drunk. I felt perfectly normal with the Xanax, not drugged or sleepy or dopey, but I had NO nervousness. None, nada, zilch. Do yourself a favor and ask your doctor!

I'm most certainly one of the white-knuckle flying club. And it's gotten worse since I started flying with my dd!!! However, the Fear of Flying website helped a lot. One thing the site says is that planes are made for turbulance. That the aircraft "loves' the strong bumpy stuff. Yeah right. I keep that in mind when it feels like my stomache is coming out thru my ears!! If you concentrate on keeping your kids non-stressed, it will help you. The first time my dd flew, she was 4, we played a game. She shuts her eyes and tells me when the plane leaves the ground/touches the ground. It gives me something to think about rather than what is actually what is going on!! Then, once in the air, we read together or do work-books. Anything to keep my mind occupied and give her a sense of well-being. I'm hoping that she doesn't grow up with the same fear that I have. But, do check out the Fear of Flying site. Good luck. You'll be fine!!!

I'm getting sweaty palms just thinking about this! We're leaving in 18 days. I've been in a "slight panic" ever since I bought the tix. But...
We were in WDW on 9/11, and we had to drive home to CT, not because of flights, but because I honestly believed I could never again step into a plane. When faced with the thought of driving both ways or never going again, I decided I wouldn't let this fear hold me captive forever. I also know I will bring a couple of "airplane bottles" with me to spike my OJ while we're waiting in the terminal!

;)

That does it for me every time!

Best of luck to all my fellow "white knucklers"! It will be all worth it when we're riding our favorite rides at WDW! Try to focus on that when you're in the plane.

I work for an airline and my mom just retired from the same airline,so, you can fairly assume that I've been flying at least 5 times a year since I was a baby.For some reason about 10 yrs ago I developed a fear of flying.I honestly have to say that I don't know how it started I just got on a plane one day and was terrified.I did not seek professional help for this. This is what worked for me, since, I work at an airport everyday I looked at passengers from the oldest to the youngest and they all acted like this was as normal as getting on a car each day.Needless to say I just felt that if everybody felt that flying was a normal thing I should feel that way too.Another thing that worked was that I always give myself plenty of time to get to the airport to check in and relax at the gate. This can be difficult ,because, my husband is in the habit of getting to the airport at the very last minute. Now,he knows I get hysterical and just humors me and almost everytime we make it at least 2 hours prior to departure. Also by working in an airline I know that if the pilot finds just one little thing wrong in the aircraft he will not fly until it is fixed.I once saw a pilot cancel a flight because one of the toilets was not working and this created a safety hazard.Now it's under control and I'm proud to say that I lived thru the Castaway(movie) scene a few weeks ago( I'm serious!!) If nothing else works I always have plan B and drink some wine.Believe me at $5 per bottle my fear goes away pretty fast. ;)

Years ago, when airlines were WAY cheaper, we used to fly and I always hated it. I saw a therapist, read books, did practice self-relaxation, and none of it helped. The whole time I am on the plane I am waiting to die. It's horrible, and certainly ruins my trip!

Anyway, the last time we had to fly I secured PRESCRIPTION DRUGS. I think I had Valium as Xanax may not have even been available. My flight was delayed so I took extra. Then it was delayed again and I took even more.

Let me tell you, that was the BEST flight I ever had. The food tasted great, the views were lovely. Everything was wonderful and happy and grand. Enough medication and you don't care if the darned plane lands in a volcano! Get the meds and use them the night before, so you sleep, and then again the morning of the flight. Just make sure your hubby knows you'll be stoned -- he will have to be doing the single-parent thing because you won't CARE if you lose a kid!

Good luck.

I don't like to fly but do not have a fear of flying. I just don't like it; it is uncomfortable and gives me a headache. But, it is often the best, easiest way to get where I want to go.

I have great sympathy for those who have a true fear and great respect for those who face their fear and fly anyway.

Peg

Originally posted by peg2001
I don't like to fly but do not have a fear of flying. I just don't like it; it is uncomfortable and gives me a headache. But, it is often the best, easiest way to get where I want to go.

I have great sympathy for those who have a true fear and great respect for those who face their fear and fly anyway.

Peg

<B> Hello First time I have ever used this... New to all this ........... <P>I came on and found everyone so helpful with eachother this is wonderful! I flew the week before the 11th last year to and from Nevada from Massachusetts. Only flew for 3 hrs. To Florida before that this was almost a 6 hr trip. I got sick. <U>Dramamine</U> coming home helped so much. <P>
I had plans to go to Disney World from Aug 26 to Sept 4th this year, well it was not easy at all getting on a plane. I have been on them about 8 times in my life the first time in 1995 to go to Disney and I was scared then but after the 11th it was very difficult. I did it though and I am glad I did. So all of you that are afraid just knowing your not alone sometimes helps. People are very kind on planes also they seem to be as frightened as you are and its great to start conversations with people. THat is what I did this trip. And I did pretty good. I might be going back at the end of December I am not sure yet to Disney. Oh boy I can't wait I love that place and now I am hooked on the pins. Wht fun with the Cast members to see what they have each day. I have wonderful memories when I look at my pins well I guess I will have to start a new thread or find one for that subject. <P>Thanks everyone!!!! Msdizred
:confused:

Thanks all...I appreciate all the advice. I was hoping for an over-the-counter solution since I am not big on going to the doctor...but it sounds like Xanax is the best way to go so I will be making a dr appt. I don't mind using an Rx -- since I fly so infrequently, I don't mind a crutch to help me with my fear. If I flew more regularly, I'd feel more compelled to conquer this one without drugs...but like I said, since it's not frequent... (and Jinnyboom, no substance use/abuse issues, thanks for your support & info - I needed it).

And thanks for the website with the on-line course. I am working on that. Good site.

I think for me, I know it's not likely that something will happen, but the part that freaks me out is that *if* something *does* happen, it's likely to be fatal. It's the whole concept of mortality that's such a downer sometimes ;) I love my life, I love my kids, and I don't want anything to happen to any of us...and I love going to Disney with my kids, so here we go!

Anyhow, thanks again for all the suggestions!

Oh yeah, and I do love the movie Fearless. My DH even bought me the DVD...maybe I'll watch it again before I go...haven't seen it in awhile.

When I get back, I'll post how I did.
Ciao!

SnoWhiteRabbit ~
Wishing you the best....
Think Postive, have Faith and you will be fine ^i^

colleen costello,
that was funny,,,youre story made me laugh!
sounds like a plan to me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter