Fear of Heights and Flight of Passage

WDWkristin

Earning My Ears
I have been watching videos to try to understand, but I’m still confused. My anxiety is around fear of not being able to get off. From videos of Soarin’, the part that gives me anxiety is that the ride vehicle is so far off the ground. If it breaks you would be stuck up there. I know that flight of passage is a flight simulator, but are the ride vehicles off the ground? Does the floor disappear?

I’m trying to work myself up to try one new ride in each park. 7dmt is my MK challenge because it seems from the videos that they made actual hills under the track... so in theory if you’re stuck at the top you could walk down the hill. Yes I’m 31 and I’m afraid of kids rides.

On our last visit I rode the monorail but I’m not sure if I will again. I hear about it breaking down too often. Those gondalas make me sick to my stomach just imagining being in one. Bus breaks down, walk out of bus onto the side of the road.

The sensation of height is mostly created by the video itself. The floor does not disappear from under you, but moves up and down together with your seat. I have no fear that you'll be stuck at a height if the ride broke down, unlike the monorail.

The front of the platform has no wall, of course, because it's open to the screen in front of you. The screen is several stories tall. But if you look around and behind you, you'll see that you're never more than a half story up or down from the floor where you got onto the vehicle. All three rows move together as a solid block.

I don't know if that's reassuring, but if your concern is being stuck at a height, I would not worry in this case.

FoP the seats are bolted to the floor and the floor never goes away. The platform your on goes out and moves smoothly only a few feet. You're not doing any major drops or extending up like Soarin

When you are in the ride apparatus you are suspended out beyond the platform, that is why there is the need for the back and calf supports to keep you 'locked in' as far as the ride breaking down, you are not far enough past the platform that if you wanted to get back to it safely that you could not.

FoP the seats are bolted to the floor and the floor never goes away. The platform your on goes out and moves smoothly only a few feet. You're not doing any major drops or extending up like Soarin

When you are in the ride apparatus you are suspended out beyond the platform, that is why there is the need for the back and calf supports to keep you 'locked in' as far as the ride breaking down, you are not far enough past the platform that if you wanted to get back to it safely that you could not.

Those two observations seem contradictory to me - seems like it has to be one or the other. So now I'm curious....

In my experience I never saw that I was extended out beyond the platform that the seat was bolted to. So does that platform the seat is bolted to extend out beyond something else like the area behind you where you stow your items? I agree you can't really get out once it starts because of the seat constraints.

To me it was like sitting down next to a balcony and I could only see that it looked like a theater if I looked sideways (rather than the screen). Had I closed my eyes it would be like sitting on a pretend motorcycle but held in firmly. For me there was no sense of "wow I'm up high and nothing under me" like I get on Soarin.

The platform does not suspend out. Your ride seat is bolted to the floor and at no time extends beyond the room in which you've entered. I purposely looked to my left and right to get an idea of the "suspension" because my husband is terrified of open heights. We were not on the first level (had to walk up the stairs), and he was fine. He said as long as he felt like he was seated within an enclosed space that being high off the ground did not bother him. He would not do well on Soarin' because you are suspended in the air.

Those two observations seem contradictory to me - seems like it has to be one or the other. So now I'm curious....

In my experience I never saw that I was extended out beyond the platform that the seat was bolted to. So does that platform the seat is bolted to extend out beyond something else like the area behind you where you stow your items? I agree you can't really get out once it starts because of the seat constraints.

To me it was like sitting down next to a balcony and I could only see that it looked like a theater if I looked sideways (rather than the screen). Had I closed my eyes it would be like sitting on a pretend motorcycle but held in firmly. For me there was no sense of "wow I'm up high and nothing under me" like I get on Soarin.

The platform your seat is bolted to goes out a few feet and leans forward slightly. The restraints are there because you can't just get up and walk off as the platform is at an angle and there's a gap. You're not going out 20 feet and bouncing up and down, but your platform does move out a few feet

The platform your seat is bolted to goes out a few feet and leans forward slightly. The restraints are there because you can't just get up and walk off as the platform is at an angle and there's a gap. You're not going out 20 feet and bouncing up and down, but your platform does move out a few feet

Where exactly is the gap? Is it behind me between me and the storage bins where we put loose items? If I turned around and looked at the floor would I see a gap? Or it outside the "room" that you go into where the seats and storage bins are? I'm genuinely curious how this ride works. I've tried to find photos of it with the lights on with these gaps, etc. but I can't find any unfortunately.

I'm afraid of heights also and avoid anything with large drops. I skip splash mountain, astro orbiters and will never go on the gondolas. I loved FOP. Because I know I can't possibly plummet to my death. I don't mind simulated drops. Can't tell you what the floor looks like though, I kept my eyes on the screen. OTOH, my daughter is also afraid of heights and hated FOP. So FWIW, it helped me to know that the ride vehicle is secured.

I am terribly afraid of heights and fop was fine. It’s just a simulator ride in a seat that’s bolted to the floor. You are NOT hanging in the air EVER on fop. It feels like you’re flying but only your seat moves side to side and back and forth. It feels VERY safe and secure. You can look to your side and see that you are in a room and your seat does not move off the floor.
I’m surprised I actually like Soarin better because to me it’s scarier being hung up so high with minimal restraints.

Where exactly is the gap? Is it behind me between me and the storage bins where we put loose items? If I turned around and looked at the floor would I see a gap? Or it outside the "room" that you go into where the seats and storage bins are? I'm genuinely curious how this ride works. I've tried to find photos of it with the lights on with these gaps, etc. but I can't find any unfortunately.

Between you and the bins. Here's a video recorded from the bins. Should give you a good idea

Two DS and I were headed to AP Preview and I was really worried about the ride for DS who is disabled and extremely afraid of heights. My fear was he would attempt to get off and being double jointed you never know. I am also afraid of heights (I HATE SOARIN'). Since it wasn't open and only a few had been on .... I emailed some folks who had been on it and they tried to explain it but it wasn't helping. When we went we decided to try anyway with one of us on either side of him. MOST of that first ride all I did was look all around me, up, down, behind and rarely watched the movie. I saw why we have to be locked in to our seats.

Best description I have seen of vehicles is they are like joysticks. They are mounted to a disc on the floor and your banshee tilts left, right, forward etc but at no time does it leave the floor or the room you are in. The floor also goes up and down breaking away from the wall at the back. This is why is would be dangerous for you to get out because if you slid into the gap .......... not good. So imagine you are on a seat that is a joystick on a floor that bounces up and down like a floor pogo stick but smooth.

The vehicles are so tight you can't see the space between them to the floor of the theater, there is the visual barrier of a row of these vehicles. You don't see the theater floor, you can't fall unless you broke out of the restraints and literally climbed over the vehicle front. The screen wraps far back to the top/bottom/sides of theater so you feel like you are in the movie not watching a movie like Soarin'. The plus is if you just focus on the movie you won't be aware of being high or where you are. You can also ask when you enter for the lowest level so you aren't so high up.

Back to first ride, where I was a wreck riding it with DS, holding his hand the whole time and watching him. He LOVED it. His smile was priceless and at no time was he afraid. He's been on it many times since and one of his favorite rides. We road again last week, and once again I skipped Soarin'.

Yes you will see it. The cubby & wall stay still. The floor moves up and down around 2+ feet so you will see the gap especially when you move down. You aren't supposed to use a camera in there but I'm surprised no one has filmed with camera glasses. You can look at photos of the room online and see the lines on the floor.

Last edited:
Heights bug me. FoP didn't, for some reason. It registered more like a dream than anything. Didn't have any of the "hanging in the air" discomfort I feel with Soarin'.

I freak out going over bridges. More than a couple of stories up, I don't look out of the window.

I LOVE FoP. (I hate Soarin'.)

I was really worried about it. But after reading so many reviews, I knew that I wanted to try it.

You are secure in the seat, but I never felt like I couldn't get out if I HAD to. (One hint I have is to take a deep breath when they lock you in.) I also really moved along with the ride. If we turned left, I leaned into the turn, same with going up or down.

I am afraid of heights as well and I have been fine with FoP, I actually really enjoy it. Soarin' used to freak me out as well, but I started using the "child strap" thing and no longer feel like I am going to fall forward out of the seat, so that has been much better.

Between you and the bins. Here's a video recorded from the bins. Should give you a good idea

This is exactly what I was looking for - thanks so much!

Yes you will see it. The cubby & wall stay still. The floor moves up and down around 2+ feet so you will see the gap especially when you move down. You aren't supposed to use a camera in there but I'm surprised no one has filmed with camera glasses. You can look at photos of the room online and see the lines on the floor.

Thank you both for the info - fascinating! I have ridden it several times and never really noticed that the floor separates from the bin area. I feel like I'm just sitting there on a motorbike type thing moving around and it doesn't bother me - but I couldn't imagine how it actually worked. I feel much more "up in the air" on Soarin because it's more obvious of course.

This is exactly what I was looking for - thanks so much!

Thank you both for the info - fascinating! I have ridden it several times and never really noticed that the floor separates from the bin area. I feel like I'm just sitting there on a motorbike type thing moving around and it doesn't bother me - but I couldn't imagine how it actually worked. I feel much more "up in the air" on Soarin because it's more obvious of course.

You don't realize the platform goes out because it's when the area goes black then there's that flash. So that's distracting you over the base moving. Next time you ride try to pay attention to it and you might feel it. It's very smooth though

You don't realize the platform goes out because it's when the area goes black then there's that flash. So that's distracting you over the base moving. Next time you ride try to pay attention to it and you might feel it. It's very smooth though
I have started closing my eyes when everything starts, I'm not fond of the flashing lights, and I felt it move. It is very smooth, it was more of a feeling than actual knowledge of movement.

Not to deter you from riding because it is an amazing ride and I'm glad I rode it, but my husband and I just got back from Disney a few weeks ago and I decided to go on this ride due to hearing such good things. I am deathly (I mean afraid of going much more than a floor or 2 off the ground) afraid of heights and I HATED FOP. I never thought I was afraid of simulations (hence riding it), but it is SOOO REAL. It felt like I was actually falling off a cliff (even the stomach dropping sensation slightly- I don't know how they do that it only moves a foot or 2). I closed my eyes for most of the ride and tried not to have a panic attack. I would like to ride it again someday if I can muster it because my husband said there were a few parts that weren't simulated high that are very very cool! He loved it, but he isn't scared of anything. Again, I don't want to deter you, but I wish I would have known how REAL it felt. With all that being said I'm glad I rode it and know what it is like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter