February 2019 - Love, Love Love ... A month of loving Disney, Healthy Living, Yourself

Topic Thursday

Taking some inspiration from some posts this week.... lets share a favourite healthy recipe - it might help us to try something new that becomes an old favorite
Love this idea! And I'm not much of a fish person (love other seafood though), but I want to try your salmon recipe. I keep meaning to give Salmon a try, but wasn't sure what to do with it. So thanks for the recipe and the tip to ask for it without skin!

In winter, I like to make Beef Stew with Sweet Potatoes

1. Brown 2 lbs. beef stew meet in olive oil in large pot.
2. Add one chopped onion, sliced carrots & celery. Cook for about 5-6 minutes.
3. Add 4 cloves finely chopped garlic.
4. Add 1 cup beef broth and 1/2 cup red wine. Stir constantly. Cook until liquid is reduced in half.
5. Add 1/4 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp. black pepper, 1 tsp. paprika, 3 bay leaves, and 2 chopped tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, gently boil until tomatoes begin to break down.
6. Add 7 more cups of beef broth. Bring to a boil. Then recipe says to gently boil for 2 hours (I don't usually do this, as I usually don't have the time)
7. Add 2 large sweet potatoes cut into bite sized cubes. Cook for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
8. Add cornstarch/water mixture to stew to thicken (my family prefers it without this)

My daughter usually likes to make cornbread muffins to go with this.

OMG - I was just about to post the topic of the day when I could hear my neighbour outside and then she banged on my door - I opened to find her with a broom and serval other neighbours trying to shuffle a BIG snake away from our townhouses - it had to be at least 1.5 metres long!!!! It is not as far as I would like it to be, it went into a tree 6 houses down :scared1::scared1: One of the neighbours said they had one in their back yard earlier this week. We back onto a little nature reserve - I have been here a year and had not seen any yet! The is construction going on in areas near us where they have knocked down bush - so they have probably moved on from their old habitat - but I don't want them in mine! We are a little sad about them knocking down so many trees in the area as they are taking away Kangaroo habitat. This will make you think of the typical Australia but where we are Kangaroos are regular visitors at my kids school and the University next door - but their numbers are getting less due to habitat loss :sad1:

OMG!!!! I would be gone right away and never return. I am not sure how big 1.5 meters is but that sounds huge. I refuse to go in my moms yard because they told me the house next store had a momma snake that had babies in their yard. My fear of snakes is so over the top. Even at Disney I have issues. I walk in the middle of the walkway at the hotels and yell at my kids to stay away form the edge. You never know if their is a snake in the bushes.

That’s a big snake! Although you can tell yourself he’s eating mice to make yourself feel better! That’s sad about the trees being cut down and kangaroos losing their habitat. I’ve heard about that on the news. With us it’s deer. And we used to have a tree farm behind our house and there would be so many bluebirds. They built a couple houses there and took down the trees and now they’re gone.
I made this the other night and my husband and my daughter’s family loved it!

Chicken Fajita Bake
2 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
Red, green, yellow or orange peppers, sliced into strips
Small sweet onion, halved and cut into slices
1/4 c chicken broth
1/2 c salsa (jarred)
1/4 c reduced fat sour cream
1 cup shredded cheese (I used three cheese blend)
2 tsp fajita seasoning

While pasta is cooking, spray peppers/onions with olive oil and roast at 400 for 20 minutes.
When pasta is cooked and vegetables roasted, mix everything but 1/2 cup cheese together and spread in 13x9 dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

Makes 6 generous servings.
212 calories, 23.4g carbs, 20.5g protein and 1.9g sat fat

All the recipes sound so yummy.

My favorite only has two ingredients: one pork roast (I buy the four pack at Costco and throw them in the freezer!) and one jar of salsa verde. Put a little salsa on the bottom of your crockpot, plop in your roast, pour the rest of the salsa over the top and cook on low all day. So easy and so yummy. We get many, many meals out of it and always freeze a bunch, too.

AAAAhhhhh Free For All Friday...

How are you going to make the most of the last weekend of February ?
Let's chat it up about anything on your mind over the next few days

Our weekend is less busy then normal. Tonight DS has basketball practice. Tomorrow DS has karate and DD has a basketball game and nothing on Sunday. As long as my headache goes away I will be able to get to the rec Saturday and Sunday. I can't go tonight because DD left her tennis shoes in gym on Tuesday (not locked up) and they are now missing so we need to get a new pair before her game tomorrow.

Got together with some good friends today to see a movie and then a long lunch to talk and catch up (the joys of retirement!). Not much of anything else planned but hope to get a couple small projects done. Since today is Friday, it’s martini night! So looking forward to sitting in front of the fireplace with my drink and a good book!
Have a great weekend everyone!

As long as my headache goes away I will be able to get to the rec Saturday and Sunday.

pixiedust: to help your headache go away :-)

Got together with some good friends today to see a movie and then a long lunch to talk and catch up (the joys of retirement!). Not much of anything else planned but hope to get a couple small projects done. Since today is Friday, it’s martini night! So looking forward to sitting in front of the fireplace with my drink and a good book!
Have a great weekend everyone!

That sounds like a fun time :-)

Weather update - the cyclone is turning around and staying over the sea - so we are experiencing some wind and big waves -but no rain.

Started the weekend off today at "Accepted Students Day" at a college DS is considering - lots of healthy walking in the sunshine! We all liked the school, and it is one of his two front-runners.

Tomorrow, I have some stuff to do around here, but Sunday I'm going to a birthday party for my cousin's 2-year-old. I haven't seen them since Christmas, and am really looking forward to it!

My son had his last middle school basketball game today (he was able to get in for the last 3 games of the season after getting his cast off). Following the game, they had a team party. Then it was quickly home for dinner and changing to get ready for the middle school band concert (daughter plays flute, son plays percussion). Now that we're home from all those activities, he is off to a sleepover birthday party for his best friend. Daughter is planning on going ice skating tomorrow with friends. What a busy life these teenagers have! But the nice part was that I took a half day from work today and my husband had off, so we met for lunch before all the craziness started tonight. Was nice to take a little adult time.

@4Mickeys Glad the cyclone is staying out to sea!

Well, for "real" recipes, this one is a family favorite. The recipe calls for chicken breast, but I usually put this recipe on the menu after "baked chicken" and use the leftover meat.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/252658/buffalo-chicken-casserole/

But for "really, about as healthy as it can get, but not really a real recipe," I like Butternut squash soup. I get a butternut squash, cut it in half and take out the seeds, then roast it in the oven, cut side down, until is soft and brown and pretty gross looking, TBH... Then I scoop the pulp into 1-cup baggies and freeze them. For the soup, I use one bag of squash plus 1 cup of homemade chicken broth (but you can use store-bought or bouillon cubes if that's what you have.) Simmer the broth with 1 bay leaf and a pinch of thyme just a little while so the flavors have time to infuse, then stir in the squash and heat through. Before serving, take out the bay leaf, add and pepper to taste, garlic powder if you like, then sprinkle with grated nutmeg. (Lately I've been using pumpkin instead of butternut because I had some leftover from the fall... for that I have to add an extra step of running it through the blender, but the point is, pumpkin works, too.)

My plan for the rest of the weekend is to study for my stats exam on Monday and otherwise be lazy :) I've earned it! I have walked over 10 miles in the last 3 days (I recognize that there are plenty of people who run 10 miles a day 3 days in a row, but for *me* it's a big deal...) Normally 3 miles is the most I can do in a day, every few days, and usually I'm a mess afterward (bad leg,) but if I'm looking at road-tripping down South and doing day-walks on the Appalachian trail, I decided I'd better see if I even *CAN* walk 3 days in a row... and the answer is yes (and ouch)... but the 10-hour drive home at the end is going to be allllllll cruise-control!!! :) So yeah, I'll be hanging on the couch with motrin and ace wraps the rest of the weekend. 'sOk, I have schoolwork and crochet to do and I'm only halfway through that book, so it's good. Oh, and there will probably be naps involved.

PS- You're Australian, you're not supposed to be scared of giant snakes!!! You're supposed either adopt them as pets, or cook them on the barbie!!! Get with the stereotype!!! ;P

Friday was a slow start or at least getting my family moving. Went into one town near me and got the files from the 4-H office for both large (think cows and sheep and other farm animals) and small (think more rabbits, cats, dogs and other pets) animal Skill-a-thon practice for our club. Went to the ceramic shop where DH and 14 year old went in and dropped off her frog to be fired and picked up her mushroom and some paints. Stopped by Panda Express and got some food through the drive through as there was not enough time to go in and eat and still make it to the town on the other side of where we live to meet the person unlocking the building where the practice was being held. DH said not to spend the money getting him something to eat as he would wait till we got home, We got a kids meal with rice, teryaki chicken and apple juice for 11 year old (she ate most of the rice), drank her juice and of course ate the chocolate chip cookie. DH ate the chicken and the rice she didn't eat. 14 year old had rice with orange chicken, teryaki chicken and brocolli beef. I had the noodles with mushroom chicken, broccoli beef, and honey walnut shrimp. We waited and ate at the meeting location. We sat the first table up with some chairs and the girls started eating while DH set up the rest of the tables and the chairs and I put what ended up being 2 large and 2 small animal stations on each table. Once that was done I sat down and ate myself. We ended up with just a friend of mine who is also in our homeschool group and her kids coming. They are younger so we only did a few of them. They had fun matching dog breed names to pictures of the dogs. I am going to keep the files for a while instead of taking them back to the office next week so we can get together one or two days in the next week or two to go over a few more of them. Came home and decided to see what my measurements were as I had last done them in early September at the end of the a Trim and Burn challenge I participated in. I was not able to find what my numbers were that time and I forgot to write down what my hip one was last night before I trimmed the next one off my string of yarn that I am using to show how much I have eliminated . No changes from then on bust and waist so those I know. I am guessing that I have eliminated another 2 inches at least on my hips for a total of 5 inches. I have eliminated 2.75 inches off my bust and 1.5 inches off my waist since early August so far. Clothing has dropped a size in all catagories though there is still a 3 size difference between my hip and waist measurements for my bottoms and even more of a difference between the bottom and the top for dresses. Guess who is not wearing dresses unless she sews them or gets someone else to do it for her. I am fine for a while with only eliminating inches from my hips as that is where I need to permanantly remove the most.
Today DH and my Dad went over the car and discovered that it is the master break cylinder and the hydro vac that is causing the leaking of break fluid. I am going to have to call around to a few places and get some prices for the parts.
For the rest of the day we have a 4-H photography meeting and then going out to a friend's neighborhood to go around and see if the girls can sell any 4-H fruit.

@sweetpeama nice job on inches gone!

The retreat is over!! I survived!!!! It wasn't terrible so there ya go. Still not sure exactly of its purpose, but guess that will all work itself out over time. Today I ate way too many chocolate chip cookies. They were soft and delicious and I was stressed. Oh well, tomorrow is a new day! I'm sure I drove everyone crazy at the retreat because I paced every chance I got. Even so, I am hopelessly short on steps today and was a thousand short of goal yesterday. Meh, what can ya do? Even though it's early, I'm going to bed. Listening, and talking, and sitting all day has exhausted me.

Started the weekend off today at "Accepted Students Day" at a college DS is considering - lots of healthy walking in the sunshine! We all liked the school, and it is one of his two front-runners.

How Exciting :yay:

My son had his last middle school basketball game today (he was able to get in for the last 3 games of the season after getting his cast off).

That is great that he got to end the season playing after getting his cast off :-)

What a busy life these teenagers have!

I hear ya - yes it can be hectic - but its kind of nice too :-)

PS- You're Australian, you're not supposed to be scared of giant snakes!!! You're supposed either adopt them as pets, or cook them on the barbie!!! Get with the stereotype!!! ;P

:rotfl2:I know right! But nope not me! I hate snake and creepy crawlies - if any spider dares enter my space - he is a dead one. Whilst I love the beach :beach:- I am NOT a surfer and only go in the surf up to between knee and thigh height - I figure that makes it harder for a SHARK to get me :rotfl:. I actually lived in Darwin for about 6 months years ago which is about as Aussie experience as you can get - e.g. crocodiles etc. (some of Crocodile Dundee was filmed around the Darwin area in the Northern Territory) - I remember everytime we swam somewhere it was supposed to be ok to swim, the next week or so it would be on the news that a croc of some size was found there (sometimes put there on purposed by people). I gave up and just used the jacuzzi at the house I was renting after that! And as for that other stereotype - I am NOT a big alcohol drinker. But I am pretty easy going, love a laugh and friendly :-)

Even though it's early, I'm going to bed. Listening, and talking, and sitting all day has exhausted me.

Hope you are enjoying your sleep - yes it is amazing how much those type of days take it out of you. Glad you made it through relatively unscathed :-)

I haven't done too much this weekend - Saturday - was a lazy day - I was tired and had a nap on the couch. Saturday night I imposed family movie night - I made the kids watch "The Sixth Sense" - I hadn't seen it in years. Then DD15 wanted to re-watch Tangled - which she claims as her favourite Princess movie. Today was washing, ironing, folding (teaching the kids how to fold ala Marie Kondo). Updating a presentation I have to do for work on Tuesday - more to do on that tomorrow. Weekend done for me - I am off to bed now - Monday morning is getting way to close.

Enjoy the last of your weekend everyone :D

Saturday went to photography meeting for the girls had way less there. 14 year old couldn't find her camera before we went (someone needs to clean her room but it is so bad she is going to need to move items into boxes in the main part of the house so that needs to be cleaned first). She ended up using my camera which is just a different model of hers. 11 year old used her ipad to take her photos as we need something that she can not damage if it is dropped. Plan after was to go around my friend's neighborhood so the girls could sell some fruit. First we needed to eat so we went to Fudruckers which for those who don't know is a burger place where they grill your food and you have access to a nice topping bar. I had a 1/3 pound works burger (grilled mushrooms, and bacon along with cheese) and tried sweet potato fries for my side (not bad but they needed syrup or a glaze to dip them in which they did not have so I used both ranch and cheese sauce-ranch worked better for me). Called my friend when we were done to let her know that we were on our way to find out that her meeting had ran much longer than expected so we decided to go to another friend's house for a quick stop if she was home. She was which I thought would be the case as she has lost her vision years ago to poorly managed diabetes. It was nice to see her after a year since for a while they had to limit visitors due to her having a kidney transplant so that she did not have any infections.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter