February 2020 "Travel Disney" Exercise Challenge

Have been unwell the past few days, so not many minutes to report since last check in. Am feeling better now and hopefully activity level will be back to normal soon.

105 since last check in - leisurely walking

1930/1740

Ok I am going to bow out this month. It have been a pretty crappy month. I now have a viral sinus infection that has caused a ton of pain in my nose. The dr. did say it was inflamed too. It hurts just to take deep breaths. I am better int he morning and then by the afternoon I am much worse where advil and sudefed only help a little and seems to be wearing off after 3.5 hours. So not much moving for me right now.

Best wishes for speedy healing!

Congratulations to the TEAM for crossing over into Getting Gone Green! At 105% and counting!

Let's skip from Europe to South America. The Emperor's New Groove (2000) is the story of an Incan emperor, Kuzco, who has to be turned into a llama to learn the errors of his ways.

Kuzco's name comes from Cusco, Peru, which was the capital of the ancient Incan empire. The Incas' extensive road system started in Cusco and spread out in the cardinal four directions. Today Cusco is relatively easy to visit, as it boasts a busy airport that serves visitors to Peru's Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu. Reportedly, Machu Picchu was the inspiration for Pacha's village in the movie--here you can see a comparison.

Last edited:
I started a new job today. It's going to be hard to adjust to operating on other people's time again. :( BUT I am grateful to have gainful employment and it made my 30 minute exercise to myself more appreciable.

Congratulations! I hope it's going well!

Ok I am going to bow out this month. It have been a pretty crappy month. I now have a viral sinus infection that has caused a ton of pain in my nose. The dr. did say it was inflamed too. It hurts just to take deep breaths. I am better int he morning and then by the afternoon I am much worse where advil and sudefed only help a little and seems to be wearing off after 3.5 hours. So not much moving for me right now.

I'm so sorry you're having a tough time and have to withdraw. I hope you're feeling much better very soon!

Have been unwell the past few days, so not many minutes to report since last check in. Am feeling better now and hopefully activity level will be back to normal soon.

Hope you're feeling better too!

Hi all - hope you're all feeling better! I've been sidelined, too. My back wasn't a happy camper for a few days so I've been 'resting' - make that binging Netflix, lol! So, no new minutes to report.
With a little guidance from the pros, I'll take March. I'm actually staying put for a change, well, until the very end of the month.
I'd love to go to Scotland - it looks so lovely. Between Brave and Outlander, I'd feel like I'd already been there.
And, Machu Picchu is definitely on my list to visit but I can't get my hubby to agree - yet!

No updates, but hey, the TEAM is still over 100%!!!

Cool Runnings (1993) is based loosely on the story of the Jamaican bobsled team that competed in Calgary at the 1988 Olympics.

According to Wikipedia, the movie was shot on location in February and March 1993. They filmed first in Calgary (at the actual Olympic venues) to benefit from the snow, and then filmed in Jamaica at Discovery Bay and Kingston.

Here's a list of filming locations in Calgary.

Congratulations to PollyannaMom and to me for turning Getting Gone Green! The TEAM is at 107%!! I'll swing by in the next day or two to add any last minutes for the month.

Here are a few more movies I had lined up but didn't get to.

Lilo & Stitch (2002) is set in Hawaii, more particularly on Kauai. Here's an article talking about Hanapepe, Kauai, one of the principal influences, and here's another article discussing locations on Kauai and the Big Island.

Remember the Titans (2000) is the story of the integration of the football team of T.C. Williams High School in Alexandria, VA in 1971. For shooting the film, however, Georgia stood in for Virginia. Here's the Remember the Titans Film Tour showing various shooting locations.

For Pocahantas (1995), I found this article regarding the true story of Pocahantas. She was a member of the Pamunkey Indian tribe, which is based in King William, VA. The tribe has a museum and cultural center that is open to the public.

Finally, if you happen to get Down Under, Ride a Wild Pony (1975) was the first full-length Disney film to be shot in Australia. It was filmed in Chiltern, Victoria with additional filming in Bingara, New South Wales. Reportedly, some of the cast and crew stayed at the Imperial Hotel in Bingara for about 3 months. And according to IMDB, the Ellison Ranch was really Belltrees, a 1907 homestead along the Hunter River near Newcastle, New South Wales--the production had to wait a week to film there because Prince Charles was staying.

a final 580 minutes - horses, walking, and moving furniture and appliances and deep cleaning

2510/1740

Huh. I certainly underestimated February.

Thanks for a fantastic month, sophy1996! So many new places to dream about now . . .

Congratulations to Elizabeth Smith for turning Getting Gone Green and to the TEAM for finishing at 120% of goal!!

I'll leave you with this article that compares 17 real-life scenes with their animated counterparts. We looked at a few of these sites, but by no means all!

See you in the March thread!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!