Fee for modifying ADR time the day of?

funkyspunky871

Mouseketeer
So, we're at AK now and had an ADR for Tusker House at 7:30. The park is soooo busy that we figured we would change our ADR time to one sooner -- that way we could get out of here and go somewhere else.

Anyway, I went in the app, clicked on my existing 7:30 ADR, and modified it to be at 4:50 instead. Will we get charged the fee? Little too late to worry about it now since it's already done, but I'm curious. We didn't cancel our reservation, just modified it.

So, we're at AK now and had an ADR for Tusker House at 7:30. The park is soooo busy that we figured we would change our ADR time to one sooner -- that way we could get out of here and go somewhere else.

Anyway, I went in the app, clicked on my existing 7:30 ADR, and modified it to be at 4:50 instead. Will we get charged the fee? Little too late to worry about it now since it's already done, but I'm curious. We didn't cancel our reservation, just modified it.

As far as I am aware you will only be charged the fee if you do NOT show up for your reservation. Changing it to another time, even the day of, wont do anything as long as you show up :)

As long as you modified the original ADR you are fine. No fee.

As said, the fee is a no show fee. If you cancel 24 hours before or just modify the time, you should not be charged as long as you show up for the new ADR.

If you cancel 24 hours before or just modify the time, you should not be charged as long as you show up for the new ADR.

I think you actually have to cancel by midnight the day before, not a full 24 hours. I'm positive that I cancelled breakfast reservations for the next day on the evening prior when it was clear to me that there was no way I was going to be up early enough the next day to get there.

I have changed my ADR's multiple times in the morning of the reservation. I went to the concierge at the hotel and they were able to accommodate me. Every hotel has a concierge or a Guest Services person. Don't wait until late afternoon because I don't know if they could help you at that time unless you had a real excuse such as sick as a dog and you are not leaving the room for anything. Good luck and I am so jealous that you are there and I'm not.

I think you actually have to cancel by midnight the day before, not a full 24 hours. I'm positive that I cancelled breakfast reservations for the next day on the evening prior when it was clear to me that there was no way I was going to be up early enough the next day to get there.
Technically, the wording on the confirmation and website is 24 hours but it's not enforced that way.
I've learned over the years that if MDE lets you cancel, we've never been charged a fee. MDE seems to have it set to allow a guest to cancel up to a point and when it doesn't, that's when you are a risk of the fee.

Technically, the wording on the confirmation and website is 24 hours but it's not enforced that way.

The wording on my confirmation email says "one day prior" (in two different places), not 24 hours.

The wording on my confirmation email says "one day prior" (in two different places), not 24 hours.
Ah, very good. Still, up in the air to interpret what that exact definition would be, by midnight the day before or one day = 24 hours?

You can make modifications up to about 20 minutes beforehand. Then the reservation gets “locked” and no changes unless you call Disney directly.

You can also guarantee that you're not charged the no-show fee for cancelling an ADR the day-of by doing the following:

1. Go in and modify your existing reservation and change it to a future date...anytime at least 24 hours after the current time will work.
  2. Once that reservation has been modified, you can go in and cancel it without having to worrying about cancelling within 24 hours.

With great power comes great responsibility so please use this tip responsibly.

One time we had an ADR at Yak and Yeti but my husband became very ill. I walked to the restaurant only an hour before the reservation and asked them if we could cancel and if they would charge a fee. They told me it was no problem and they could cancel it on their end but if we were to have cancelled in the app, it would have charged us the fee. I'm not sure how true this info was or if it made a difference that it wasn't a Disney owned restaurant, but we were able to cancel with no fee. Based on what others have said, it seems like you can cancel or modify your reservation time less than a day (or 24 hours before) but there are many variables and differing experiences.

I cancelled a reservation less than 24 hours before (a breakfast at 10;30 cancelled the night before) and was not charged (done in the app). I also changed a reservation an hour before, from one restaurant to another. In that case I called and they waived the fee for me.

Both of these were done last week.

We changed reservations to different times and even different restaurants same day with no issues.

I cancelled a reservation less than 24 hours before (a breakfast at 10;30 cancelled the night before) and was not charged (done in the app). I also changed a reservation an hour before, from one restaurant to another. In that case I called and they waived the fee for me.

Both of these were done last week.
Generally cancelling a reservation the night before meets the requirements. It is not exactly 24 hours but rather the day( night) before.

You can make modifications up to about 20 minutes beforehand. Then the reservation gets “locked” and no changes unless you call Disney directly.
I had issues on my last trip (15-21 Dec 18). I tried to cancel more than one reservation the evening before (for a breakfast ressie) and was told it was too late to cancel and I had to call. I just moved the reservation to a new date and then cancelled it.

I also called to modify a reservation the day of. We arrived at MK for a Trails End ressie and it was pouring so there were no boats to Ft. Wilderness. So I called and changed it to Crystal Palace which was available (I'm guessing because it was pouring rain!). Got it changed no problem. Would have been nice to be able to just modify it on the app, but it wouldn't let me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!