Fellow DISers with glasses: Photochromic lenses or prescription sunglasses for trip?

BlackLodgeBambi

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone! Hopefully I selected the appropriate thread to place this in. Just a question relating to glasses and what might be more practical to take with on a trip.

In the event that I would take a family trip to Disney World, I am wondering if it would be best to invest in a pair of glasses with photochromic lenses (that darken in sunlight) or to instead buy prescription sunglasses. It has been years since I have done a Disney vacation, and since then I have become a bit nearsighted with a current prescription of -0.75. I have no experience yet with either photochromic lenses or prescription sunglasses. For the past year as needed, I have just worn a regular pair with my prescription when I need to see far away - which definitely seems like a good idea for Disney. Also being an outdoor park with plenty of Florida sun, I would at the same time like to be able to protect my eyes and not be too blinded to enjoy the sights, at least for the first half of the day!

This being said, may any of you DIS-ers have some words of advice? In theory, it would seem to me that with photochromic lenses, you have a 2-in-1 option (plus one less thing to pack, take off and/or potentially lose) that would sound great for a place like Disney where you spend a lot of time both outdoors and indoors at frequent intervals. But do they really get dark enough to function as sunglasses would? Or is it better to buy a pair of actual prescription sunglasses? I am currently looking at Zenni to make an order once I figure out what may be the better investment! Not solely for a Disney trip, but really in any type sort of sunny outdoor function where I would like to see clearly while also having eye protection from sun.

Last edited:
I used to have the changing lenses, then went to prescription sunglasses, now back to the changing lenses. The prescription are best for driving as the changing lenses don't get the direct rays, but other than that I've found that the changing lenses are the best. They change enough to block the majority of the sun and make you comfortable seeing outside in the sun (although prescription are darker). They are also nice so you don't have to carry around 2 pair or having them stay dark in restaurants/buildings as if you had the prescription ones. I would recommend the changing ones.

In the past I've worn the prescription outside, and switch to regular inside. My last trip I had the changing lenses. So much easier to deal with! I was told I shouldn't use them for driving, but I don't drive while at Disney, so they work out great.

I have also been known to use flip-ups at Disney. Nice and dark, then flip them up when inside. I usually have a visor so when they're flipped they're not ridiculous looking lol.

I use prescription sunglasses. Sometimes, if I'm lazy, I get the over-the-glasses sunglasses (the real big ones) to put on over my prescription glasses (regulars, not sunglasses)

I just moved to Florida and before I did, I invested in prescription sunglasses. I’ve barely worn them. It’s too much of a pain for me to switch back and forth between regular glasses and my sunglasses. So now I only wear sunglasses when I have my contacts in. However, for my 2 year old, I got him the transition lenses in his glasses and it was the BEST thing I ever did. Insanely expensive, especially since I did it on 2 pairs of glasses, but more than worth it. Therefore, next time I need to order glasses, I’ll be getting those lenses for me.

I have Solar Shield brand clip on sunglasses that I absolutely love. I wore them on my 2017 trip to WDW and US/IOA and wore them on every single outdoor ride, including rollercoasters, and they didn’t come loose once. Much cheaper than prescription, and better light-blocking than the changing lenses (and faster-adjusting too)

I have Solar Shield brand clip on sunglasses that I absolutely love. I wore them on my 2017 trip to WDW and US/IOA and wore them on every single outdoor ride, including rollercoasters, and they didn’t come loose once. Much cheaper than prescription, and better light-blocking than the changing lenses (and faster-adjusting too)

For some unknown reason, I did not know this existed, but I did. I’ve seen my dad clip on his sunglasses...idk, I think my brain broke and I never gave it a thought. I think I’ll be ordering a pair now

I have the transitions and while they are great for the majority of the time sometimes it takes a minute or two for them to readjust to low lighting scenarios. This makes it so I can hardly see in a dark room when I enter from bright light. I end up lifting my glasses up for that time so I don't bump into walls in a queue.

I use the photochromic lens glasses. It was too much of a hassle to constantly be switching between regular lenses and sunglasses. I didn’t, however, invest in them solely for my WDW trips. I am outdoors quite a bit day to day, so they are my everyday glasses.

I have my regular glasses and prescription sunglasses for all times that I switch between not just when I go on vacation.. I had heard bad things about the transitions and the clip ons do not protect me enough. It is not a pain to have 2 at all.

I have photochromic lenses, but my optometrist tells me they’re not sufficient for protection in very bright sunlight for prolonged periods of time. So I bring my over the glasses sunglasses. It just means I can’t go bagless!

I have both. Because my glasses don't transition in the car. For a trip like WDW, I'd say go with transitions, it's one less thing to carry. While mine do not get dark enough in my opinion, and they don't transition instantly, they're still better than having to constantly switch my glasses back and forth.

I have photochromic lenses ALL the time. My eyes cannot react to light quickly. Changing glasses for shops, shows, eating etc, means you would likely lose a pair or just get really fed up of swapping them.

I only buy glasses that come with the magnetic clip-on sunglasses that match the frame. I've done this for years. When you go to pick out new glasses ask to be shown all the glasses available with the matching clip-ons.

Looked at the photo-chromatic lenses last time I updated my prescription. Handy but, as others have said, they don't tend to get dark enough. Sooo...I also have the magnetic clip-ons. Not as convenient, perhaps, but, darker, better protection and polarized too.

I use prescription sunglasses with polarized lenses. My eyes are quite sensitive to light, so I need the protection that the polarized lenses offer. Of course, that means I also have to have a regular pair of glasses for when I go indoors, but I really don't mind.

The cheap clipons are worth it for ease of use, since you're going in and out so frequently that actually changing out glasses becomes a PITA. Plus the fit in a pocket and you don't have to worry about losing your prescription ones.

I am VERY photosensitive and struggle to find regular sunglasses that go dark enough for me - transitions were thus never going to be an option for me. I've done clip ons that matched my glasses and they were fine but what worked best for me (and my husband) is contacts with regular sunglasses. My brother-in-law switches from regular glasses to prescription sunglasses all the time and it doesn't bother in - in the parks it means whenever he walks into or out of a building he holds his hand out to my sister who hands him the glasses case from her purse so he can switch to the correct glasses. It works for them.

As a CM I regretted the day that I chose multicolor aviator sunglasses as my choice for personal wear because I could never wear them to work. That being said, if I hadn't lost them on the Haunted Mansion (while switching to my normal glasses so I could see) I'd still wear them everywhere. The sun is brutal and for me having one pair of prescription sunglasses is more convenient when Im going to be standing in line for a while, which most people end up doing. I always carried both pairs because the transition glasses take FOREVER to change - for me at least, I always ended up being more bothered than pleased.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts