• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Female solo travelers, how do you...

travelbug

DIS Veteran
...get from MCO to your onsite resort if you don't want to rent a car? Do you hire a towncar? Or do you take a cab? Any experiences on either one making you feel safer/more nervous about being a solo female traveling alone?

Has anyone ever requested a female driver from a towncar service?

No, I'm not paranoid! Just curious... ;)

I have not went solo, but if I was--- I would take the Mears shuttle. It is a very comfortable bus, with plenty of others around, so no need to feel uncomfortable.

When I go solo, I can't justify spending $85 on a towncar. Mears is only $28rt and even though it's a little longer since they make multiple stops, I think it's still the best way for me to go!!! :p

I have done both, Mears and a town car service. There aren't necessarily others on the bus with you-one time I was the only person on the big Mears bus, and this was in the middle of the day! Splurged for a town car service twice, considered asking for a female driver, but didn't. Now I'm going back to Mears, as a solo I just can't justify the added espense, and I find Mears feels just as safe (although DH went solo once to an off-site location and his driver got lost!).

Generally I rent a car since I like to eat off site sometimes and visit the malls. This month, I'll rent a car for my stay at Universal's Royal Pacific Resort, and then drop it off at the Dolphin once I check in at BCV. To get back to the airport I haven't decided if I'll get a cab or call Mears.

I've done Mears once and a towncar once. Right now I'm trying to decide what to do for my upcoming trip.

The time I did Mears there was just the driver and one other (male) passenger, who got dropped off first. However I never felt uncomfortable.

I also never felt the least bit uncomfortable with my towncar driver. I had the same driver both ways.

Deb

I've done Mears and am planning to again for my upcoming trip. I also cannot justify paying more for a towncar. I've been comfortable with it as well.

For my solo trips, I reserve a towncar. I like to get to my resort asap and don't want to spend precious time going from resort to resort dropping other passengers off. (I've tried Mears in the past, and it took a looong time to reach my destination.) I also like the fact that the car is waiting to pick me up--no standing in line to get in the van or bus. And if I need to make a stop at a store, I have that option with the towncar.

I figure the cost of the towncar in with my trip budget. To me, it is worth it. :)

I've always felt comfortable with the towncar drivers, never even thought of requesting a female. Now, just hopping into a regular cab would make me nervous.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I hadn't even thought of Mears because I've heard so often that it is usually a very long drive. But maybe the cheaper price would be worth the extra time. Hmmm, will have to weigh that.

I forgot to figure in that I'll need to get to a grocery store, so maybe that will necessitate using a towncar. Or do any of you use Mears, and then get a cab to the grocery store later? In that scenario, maybe the cost would come out about the same as if I just got a towncar to begin with. :confused: Plus there'd be less of a hassle factor.

Anyway, you've all helped me think through the transport thing and the safety factor. I do appreciate your help! :D

I just had another thought! The day when I'm arriving solo is Dec. 26. (The rest of my party is coming down 2 days later.) Does that date affect my plans? Would Mears be a mob scene because it's the holidays? The other end of my round trip to the airport is Sunday, Jan. 4, which I also expect to be extremely busy with return travelers. Thoughts on that? If not, I'll maybe pose that question over on the Transportation board.

Again, thanks so much! :D

The time I used Mears I had the exact same arrival and departure dates as you. I arrived around 9:00PM on 12/26/99 and departed mid afternoon on 1/4/00. My drop off hotel was off site (on I Drive) and my pick up was at All Star Movies.

I waited a while at the airport until Mears finally decided that there where going to have to send the van with just two guests to I Drive. It was a bit of an inconvenience after a full day at work and a crowded flight, but nothing major.

My return trip was in a full size bus, there were people on it when they picked me up and we made one more stop, but it wasn't packed.

Having said that, I really did enjoy the convenience of the towncar my last trip and may just have to figure that into my budget again. I'm still undeceided.

Deb

either way should be okay...

I would think if you want a grocery store - the towncar.

although mears plus a taxis might be a little cheaper - just depends upon the taxis - some are honest some are not.

Thanks, Deb and Pat! I appreciate your help!

I think I'm leaning toward a towncar for the convenience and so I can make the grocery stop on the way to the hotel. Next comes choosing a towncar company...

Thanks again, everyone! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter