few questions for a race disney novice

emmamc252

Mouseketeer
Hi guys.
SO we are going to be in WDW during the princess marathon weekend 2016, ok i know its a long time off but hey, im a planner.
I have a few questions if someone could help me out-

Cheer packages - do you HAVE to purchase these if you want to watch the race? we will have park tickets, do we need to budget for these packages too?

Proof of time - OK so I'm from the uk so any "proof of time" I can submit will be from a race over here. What exactly do you have to submit? like the link to the webpage with the results or what?
I have never done any "proper" races before despite always running just for me i guess. I've done some fun runs and paint dashes but i doubt they would count. THere are a few "proper" 10ks I can enter that are "proper" races I guess from the fact they are on the TV. just wondered exactlyw hat you have to submit so I can make sure the event I enter will be enough!
The entries for these for 2015 which i assume I would need will be opening soon!

All the expos etc, it will be just me running, and my dd and ds will prob do the kids races, but can dh still come to all the expos, events etc?

thanks!

You don't have to buy the Cheer Squad thing to watch the race. You just get reserved viewing spots and some other things if you go that route.

I think you will need to provide the race and a link to the race website so Disney can verify your time. I've been seeing that if they can't confirm the time, they will put you in the last corral.

The expo is free for everyone. There are some events such as Pasta in the Park that require separate tickets but I would assume if you can get into something without paying then the family can too.

Someone please correct me if I have something wrong. Hope you get registered and have a great race. :)

I hope others can answer with more helpful detail than I, but for starters:

You do not have to purchase a Cheer package in order to spectate. There are many places to watch the race(s) from. An internet search, and Disboards site search, will give you many details about spectating strategies.

The runDisney website has detailed information about 'proof of time' but does not tell specifically how runners can identify qualifying races. I emailed them before and they said it has to be a timed race with official/published results. You can email them this question and I bet they will clarify.

The runDisney/Disney race expos have been opened to the public for the last several decades. I have not heard any mention of this changing. So, unless you hear an announcement to the contrary, all will be welcome to the expo.

Non-bib holders (those not registered for the event) can attend the event but will be prohibited from entering certain areas on race day (areas expressly for registered participants, for example the pre-corral area, corrals, race course, post-race medal distribution and refreshment area).

Enjoy your training and planning-time leading up to the race! Best to you :)

I know you've already gotten some answers, but I thought I'd chime in too. :)

Cheer packages - do you HAVE to purchase these if you want to watch the race? we will have park tickets, do we need to budget for these packages too?
As others have said, no, you don't need to buy the package.

I spectated the Princess Half Marathon this year with a couple of friends...two of our friends were running the race. Us spectators planned on grabbing a bus to the starting line (same bus that the runners take), then walking to the monorail to take that to the Magic Kingdom. We got to the bus stop a little bit late (buses stop at 5AM) so we ended up splitting a taxi with some other people. It was nice because we were going from Wilderness Lodge, so it was a short drive.

We headed into the Magic Kingdom (no ticket needed that early) and set up camp on Main Street (this is between miles 5 and 6 on the course). We'd bought snacks the night before, but Casey's was open along with a small cart selling coffee and other things. We'd signed up for the runner tracking so we'd get an idea of when they arrived (splits sent out at the 5K mark) but it didn't work well...luckily they had their phones so they were texting us a bit. We brought bright signs and let our runners know where we would be, so they found us pretty easily.

After we saw them in the MK, we took the monorail to Epcot and set up camp again near Spaceship Earth (mile 12). We saws them come in and then moved to the other side of SSE to see them again as they were leaving the park. We didn't bother heading to the finish line because we didn't want them to feel rushed in case they wanted to stay for character lines (which they did), and at that point we'd seen them 3 times, so we felt like we did a good job.

So with a little knowledge of how the transportation system works and what the course is like, I definitely think you can have a good spectating experience without buying the package.

Proof of time - OK so I'm from the uk so any "proof of time" I can submit will be from a race over here. What exactly do you have to submit? like the link to the webpage with the results or what?
I have never done any "proper" races before despite always running just for me i guess. I've done some fun runs and paint dashes but i doubt they would count. THere are a few "proper" 10ks I can enter that are "proper" races I guess from the fact they are on the TV. just wondered exactlyw hat you have to submit so I can make sure the event I enter will be enough!
The entries for these for 2015 which i assume I would need will be opening soon!
Has to be a certified 10K course. In the past I've sent them my name, the name, distance and location of the race, and my time, along with a link to the race results.
All the expos etc, it will be just me running, and my dd and ds will prob do the kids races, but can dh still come to all the expos, events etc?

thanks!
Yep! :goodvibes

I know you've had most of your questions answered, but here's an interesting tidbit I saw on proof of times a few days ago. Someone posted on DIS saying they were able to submit a proof of time that hadn't been published online and runDisney excepted it.

I personally always follow the format that they prompt for you for on the registration page. They ask for race name, length, time, location, etc. I've never listed a link, though I'm sure if you google search the race runDisney would be able to use my name to verify my time.

PHM was my first runDisney race and it was a ton of fun. Enjoy!

I've always kinda wondered if they actually checked the times to verify. I've heard yes, but like you said, why wouldn't they ask for you to post a link. I did, but it doesn't say it as a requirement.

So I'm a disney race novice as well. Looking at doing either the 2015 or 2016 Princess Half marathon and I have a question. I'm assuming I could send in results from a half marathon for proof of pacing? It doesn't have to be a 10k, correct? Also could someone lead me to maybe a basic PHM thread that may be a good starting point in getting some useful info? Thanks so much!! I absolutely running races and can't even imagine how exciting running a Disney race would be!!! :D

So I'm a disney race novice as well. Looking at doing either the 2015 or 2016 Princess Half marathon and I have a question. I'm assuming I could send in results from a half marathon for proof of pacing? It doesn't have to be a 10k, correct? Also could someone lead me to maybe a basic PHM thread that may be a good starting point in getting some useful info? Thanks so much!! I absolutely running races and can't even imagine how exciting running a Disney race would be!!! :D

Yes you can send in a half marathon time for your proof of pace. Enjoy whatever race you do. They are pretty fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter