Figment

d-r

<font color=red>l|ll|||ll||ll||<font color=purple>
Well...if you were worried that the renovations to journey into your imagination (starring Figment) would cut out the fun of the sound area or the upside down house, never fear.....

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Figment is back! The playful purple dragon who captured millions of hearts at Walt Disney World Resort returns to Epcot in June to once again demonstrate the power of imagination.

Journey Into Imagination with Figment invites guests to an open house at the Imagination Institute led by Dr. Nigel Channing, who plans to show how the five senses can influence a person’s imagination.

Future World guests traveling through the colorful, energetic attraction stop for Dr. Channing’s demonstrations in laboratories to discover how the human senses are being studied to help “capture and control” the imagination. The stops are interrupted, however, by the free-thinking Figment, a mischievous dragon who tries to show the ever-practical Dr. Channing and his guests that the imagination works best, not when it’s controlled, but rather, when it’s set free.

Guests will encounter stimulating experiences:

In the sight laboratory, Figment has fun with a vision chart to prove that there is more to the imagination than meets the eye!
Sniff, sniff – What’s that aroma in the smell laboratory?
In the sound laboratory, guests enjoy a symphony of delightful melodies as Figment shows how thoughts can appear by way of the ear.
The fun continues when guests are invited into Figment’s house, which is upside-down to show how imagination can really come “home” when you look at things from a new perspective. By the end, his impish antics convince Dr. Channing how much fun a free imagination can be.

“The return of Figment adds another level of excitement to this re-energized attraction,” said David Mumford, show designer for Walt Disney Imagineering. “Journey Into Imagination with Figment is bright and fun and should appeal to guests of all ages.”

The revamped attraction also heralds the return of “One Little Spark,” an uplifting song written by legendary Disney composers Richard M. and Robert B. Sherman for the attraction’s original opening in March 1983. Comic actor Eric Idle also returns as Dr. Nigel Channing, a role he originated in the adjacent “Honey, I Shrunk the Audience” 3-D attraction at Epcot.

Journey Into Imagination with Figment is part of the Imagination! pavilion presented by Kodak at Epcot.

I'll reserve my thoughts and criticisms until I see it this summer...but, if all they did was add Figment and "One Little Spark" to the sections that were there...aargh! I'm getting angrier with each letter I type!

RyMickey

Pathetic. Just pathetic. Why do I get my hopes up anymore? Disney's current apathy is like a bully beating up my vulnerable inner child.

Sounds like a great improvement. The smell lab was not a part of the second incarnation, the sound lab sounds different, the sight lab sounds different, etc, etc. The changes seem to have been mainly involving action in the settings, as well as the scenery. The main problem wasn't that the house was upside down, just that nothing happened while you were there. The problem wasn't that you heard noises, it was that there was nothing else to it, and seemingly no point.

Read the article again, and see if it sounds exactly the same. Also, notice that 1- Figment is a main character, 2- He is interacting with the scenes and not just appearing near them, 3- One Little Spark is back, 4- The 'Imagination Scanner' is not mentioned, 'See What you Hear' is apparently gone, 'Dimensions' is apparently gone, etc.

I plan to give this one a chance before I judge. Just the fact that Figment is coming back is a great step IMO.

I did wonder about this:
“The return of Figment adds another level of excitement to this re-energized attraction,” said David Mumford, show designer for Walt Disney Imagineering

Another level of excitement? Did I miss the one there now? ;)

I sort of agree with Safari Steve. The biggest problems with the new attraction according to most people on this board (and IMHO) were lack of coehsive storyline and lackluster effects. Having figment guide us through the Institute could improve the story line, and it appears that the worst sections (the train in pitch darkness and the color boards which I still don't understand) are being changed. Who knows. I will wait to judge until June.

Is the attraction already open? If not does anyone know when it is reopening?

Originally posted by DisneyFanGuy
Remember too that Tony Baxter is part of this re-rehab. I trust his judgement.

Yes. This is true. Perhaps I've been a bit of a reactionary. I'll wait until after I've seen it in July.

J.-

It wasn't open when I was there last month. I've heard it's supposed to open in June, but haven't heard a date yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter