Mini TR for another Boston Road Trip - updated Nov 22

As usual I've been a crap DISfriend and haven't updated or read any TR's lately...gotta get on that...but you know..life!

Updates since I last posted:

Got tickets to the 4th of July party on the USS Midway in San Diego which I'm super excited about!! I'll get to celebrate the 4th like a real American, with fireworks and BBQ food and loads of people!! I'm excited to see the aircraft carrier too and the views of the bay!!

AND...we got tickets to the World of Color Dessert part at DCA!! I know this has gotten mixed reviews here and on touring plans, but it has SEATING!! I know that I will be grateful for that after walking around all day, and a dessert buffet doesn't hurt either! So I think for the day that we are doing that, I will be having a late afternoon snack, and then calling this dinner, since I heard there are some savoury offerings at these things too.

Thanks to @Flossbolna and @Steppesister I have decided to add a side trip to Sequoia National Park with my daughter. This trip kind of has a rotating cast of characters. For the first bit, San Diego, Disney and LA, it will be myself, my friend Tania and my 13 year old DD, Alexis. Then Tania will head home, and my mom and 16 year old son will be joining us for some more time in LA and to revisit some of the "must do's" in LA. That's just the way it worked out with everyone's schedules and I think it's good actually because it will allow everyone to do most of what they want and we hopefully won't all want to kill each other by the end of it!!

So anyway...after my friend Tania heads home, and before my mom and son arrive, my DD and I will head up from LA to Sequoia. Here's the thing though, and not sure if I've mentioned this here before, but I do not really enjoy driving a car lol. I live in a big city (yeah @pkondz the centre of the universe lol) and really have very little need to drive since there is public transit 30 seconds from my house. I do drive around when needed, but mostly in the city where I know where I'm going. Driving in unfamiliar areas, especially at night, or in bad weather, or really under any circumstances other than close to home...really stresses me out!!! BUT I REALLY want to see Sequoia!!

After looking at planes, trains, busses and group tour options, I really couldn't find anything that would save me the drive, but wouldn't waste wayyyy too much of our precious vacation time doing things that we don't want to do, and not enough time on the things we do. So. I'm seriously stepping out of my comfort zone and planning to do the approx 3 1/2 hour (that's what google maps says) drive from LA to Sequoia and back with my 13 year old. And obviously I will be the one who has to do all the driving. Yick.

I did loads of research on the best way to do this, and I came up with a plan whereby I plan to drive us to Three Rivers, where I was able to get a room at the Comfort Inn. There are tours offered of Sequoia that will pick you up from the hotel and take you to all the noteworthy stops in the park with a stop for lunch, and then back to the hotel. Sign me up. So now I just have to drive us to and from Three Rivers but at least once there I can leave the driving to someone else and hopefully get to really soak up the views of the treees!!! I know that doing a tour like this may not be ideal because it's pretty short and you have to go with the group...but for us this made the most sense. I'm really looking forward to it once I survive the drive!!

After looking at the offerings I could find online around Three Rivers for two dinners though...I'm thinking I may need to pick up some rations on the way for dinner so we can just hang out and go to the pool or something. @Flossbolna I saw your stop in Tulare and I need to look at a map and see if that's on the way from LA, and if it is, maybe that's where we should make a pit stop....

Assuming I get through the drive :) After Sequoia we will drive back to LA and pick up my mom and son at LAX - that too is going to be a driving nightmare no doubt. Nothing like exposure therapy to face your fears! Once they arrive we will be heading to a place we found on VRBO in Venice Beach. I'm really excited about this part of the trip because it's near the beach and apparently lots of walkable things...plus my mom will be there which means ANOTHER PERSON to DRIVE! My mom is fearless when it comes to driving which is amazing! So I anticipate this part of the trip to be a little more relaxed - at least for me lol

We are planning a small group tour of LA, and then also planning to hit up Warner Bros. Studio tour. Other than that, of course my kids want to shop and go to the beach, so I'm not planning too much else!

Any CA peeps feel free to make suggestions for that area!!

Got tickets to the 4th of July party on the USS Midway in San Diego which I'm super excited about!!

Jealous!! What a great way to spend the 4th!

AND...we got tickets to the World of Color Dessert part at DCA!!

Nice addition! You won't be disappointed.

Thanks to @Flossbolna and @Steppesister I have decided to add a side trip to Sequoia National Park with my daughter.

YAY!! You will love it!

If you have time in San Diego, go to Balboa Park. It's so amazing! Or shop in Seaport Village.

I am so happy that my TR was useful! Michael has been to Sequoia quite often when he used to live in LA and always stayed in Three Rivers, so that definitely makes sense. Especially since you want to get a tour, it definitely makes sense to be there.

Tulare is more a stop on the way, about one hour from Three Rivers if I remember.

I totally can relate to your concerns about driving. We live 2 minutes by foot from the metro station here in Nuremberg and don’t own a car. I try to drive at least sometimes on vacation when we have a rental to not totally forget how to do it. One thing that really helps me is to rely on the sat nav. To be honest, driving around LA would far scarier to me than the drive to Sequoia. Once we had left the LA area (I think once you are past Six Flags Magic Mountain) it was mainly straight highway. Pretty boring just rolling along. That’s the kind of driving even I can do!

If you have time in San Diego, go to Balboa Park. It's so amazing! Or shop in Seaport Village.

Good tips!! I will check those out!

Tulare is more a stop on the way, about one hour from Three Rivers if I remember.

Thanks!! I will look at the map and see if it makes sense...or when I need to stop and get out of the car enroute lol

Once we had left the LA area (I think once you are past Six Flags Magic Mountain) it was mainly straight highway.

Yeah...that's how most people feel...but I am weird that way, I guess it's what you are used to. City driving doesn't scare me at all, it's the highways I don't actually like lol. But I will persevere!!

As usual I've been a crap DISfriend and haven't updated or read any TR's lately...gotta get on that...but you know..life!
:hug:
No worries. Like you said... life!
Got tickets to the 4th of July party on the USS Midway in San Diego which I'm super excited about!!
Ooooohhh… nice! I really enjoyed visiting that aircraft carrier. Learned lots, saw lots.
Not sure if you remember I wrote about it. If you want, I can repost the link.
AND...we got tickets to the World of Color Dessert part at DCA!!
Nice! Sitting down for the show will be nice. :)
to revisit some of the "must do's" in LA
Which are??
I live in a big city (yeah @pkondz the centre of the universe lol)
;)
:rolleyes:
Driving in unfamiliar areas, especially at night, or in bad weather, or really under any circumstances other than close to home...really stresses me out!!! BUT I REALLY want to see Sequoia!!
Take your time. And give yourself plenty of it! You'll be fine. :)
So. I'm seriously stepping out of my comfort zone and planning to do the approx 3 1/2 hour (that's what google maps says) drive from LA to Sequoia and back with my 13 year old. And obviously I will be the one who has to do all the driving. Yick.
You'll be fine. Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time. Traffic in LA... well, it can be... slow.
There are tours offered of Sequoia that will pick you up from the hotel and take you to all the noteworthy stops in the park with a stop for lunch,
Perfect!
Assuming I get through the drive :)
I really enjoyed seeing LaBrea tar pits. Disney concert hall. The Original Farmer's Market. All I can think of off the top of my head.
Hmmm... I know you're going, but just wanted to chime in and say DW and I really enjoyed Warner Bros studio tour.

Not sure if you remember I wrote about it. If you want, I can repost the link.

I have a vague memory of you talking about it now that you mention it, but if you have time, yeah the link would be good for a re-read!

Which are??

Hollywood walk of fame for sure, Beverly Hills, The beaches areas like Santa Monica Pier and Venice Beach....

I really enjoyed seeing LaBrea tar pits. Disney concert hall. The Original Farmer's Market. All I can think of off the top of my head.
Hmmm... I know you're going, but just wanted to chime in and say DW and I really enjoyed Warner Bros studio tour.

Yes, def going to Warner Bros tour, got our tickets and everything. LaBrea Tar pits...hadn't thought of that one actually, will have to investigate!

I have a vague memory of you talking about it now that you mention it, but if you have time, yeah the link would be good for a re-read!
Yep. It's right here:
The one with the aircraft carrier
Hollywood walk of fame for sure, Beverly Hills, The beaches areas like Santa Monica Pier and Venice Beach....
Did those. :)
Yes, def going to Warner Bros tour, got our tickets and everything. LaBrea Tar pits...hadn't thought of that one actually, will have to investigate!
It's small, but... I found it interesting. Then again, I'd heard of it as a little kid and off and on for ages, so... there was that connection to it.

Hellooooooo ....yeah I know...I can't expect much being the crappy DIS'er that doesn't get around here too much these days...but anyway...it's JULY 1st...which means HAPPY CANADA DAY to those that celebrate (including me!!) We spent a lovely weekend at my parents' cottage as we usually do for this long weekend in July! We had some friends up with us and there was lots of food...some wine, and some roasted marshmallows to be had! There were also fireworks, which as usual, scared the crap out of our canine companions, but were fun for the humans!

Today we drove home relatively early to beat the long weekend traffic slog back into the big city, and got home around 1:30pm. Since we are leaving for our California trip THIS THURSDAY, I kinda felt stressed and wanted to get home and get on the pre-vacay laundry and packing and organizing. Laundry is now done and I've started organizing clothes into piles around a big suitcase, but haven't actually put anything in it yet. I do know that for the Disneyland portion of the trip I have my Star Wars T-shirt and also my muppets dress and my Mickey Mouse t-shirt ready to go, so that's the important stuff. Oh and some underwear right @Steppesister :)

Tomorrow and Wednesday I have two more days of work and regular life stuff to take care of before getting up waaaay too early on Thursday to head to the airport!! As usual I'm sure it will be a challenge to get to bed early and get a decent night's sleep before vacay starts...but I will do my best!! Otherwise...there's always coffee right?

I read something on the DIS about a new Haunted Mansion museum on Main Street in DLR? Anyone been to this? Worth spending any time on when you only have two park days? I do love me some Haunted Mansion and the gift shop too but....is this interesting? Who knows. I will be travelling with two Disney newbies and I have only been to DLR once about 18 years ago so...I know the list is long of what we'll want to do...and I also may have trouble getting my travel mates to understand rope drop and having a list of to-do's that is reasonable...especially since we hope to at least walk into SWGE....hmmmm

We got a recommendation for a Mexican place in San Diego called Cafe Coyote that a few people have said is really good. I'm excited about that because, Mexican in San Diego has to be good, right?

Not much else new on the planning front here...other than the fact that my travel companions keep adding things to their "wish list" of things to do....which I don't mind of course...but you know...don't they KNOW I planned this trip months ago lol? Especially the Disney part?? I asked them to look at the website and come up with their want to do's and tell me so I could you know, PLAN....but they didn't so...now I'm sure we will be scrambling. Luckily it's DLR and DCA which from what I understand doesn't require the Excel spreadsheet level of planning that we all know is pretty much required for a WDW trip...but I HOPE is not really needed in this situation!! I know...I have to just relax and enjoy...and that will have to be enough!! I just know myself though and I will be worried about missing out on things...again...I have to remind myself..it will be impossible to do and see everything in two days. Sigh. You guys will sympathize I'm sure :)

That's all for now folks! Gonna try to catch up with some of your TR's now!!

Hellooooooo ....yeah I know...I can't expect much being the crappy DIS'er that doesn't get around here too much these days...
Nah. Not bad. Just busy. :)
HAPPY CANADA DAY to those that celebrate (including me!!)
Thanks! Right back atcha!
I'm celebrating by working.
We spent a lovely weekend at my parents' cottage as we usually do for this long weekend in July!
Sounds really nice. :)
There were also fireworks, which as usual, scared the crap out of our canine companions, but were fun for the humans!
:laughing:
Yep. Gonna be interesting when I get home tonight. Fireworks around 10-10:30... Thunderstorm around 1am.
Good times.
Since we are leaving for our California trip THIS THURSDAY,
Soon!!!
Oh and some underwear right @Steppesister :)
:lmao:
before getting up waaaay too early on Thursday to head to the airport!!
How early?
Not much else new on the planning front here...other than the fact that my travel companions keep adding things to their "wish list" of things to do....which I don't mind of course...but you know...don't they KNOW I planned this trip months ago lol?

Thanks! Right back atcha!
I'm celebrating by working.

Ugh, well that's no fun...unless you got paid extra? Hope so!!

Yep. Gonna be interesting when I get home tonight. Fireworks around 10-10:30... Thunderstorm around 1am.
Good times.

Oh man, double whammy!!

How early?

Well I will probably get up at about 5:30am and try to leave for the airport by 6:30am. It's not as crazy early as it could be, but I just know it's gonna be a really long day with the long flight to CA and then trying to be awake for the party and stuff that night. Hoping that if everything goes smoothly with flight and getting to our hotel in San Diego that maybe there will be time for a power nap before we head out for the evening's festivities.

Ugh, well that's no fun...unless you got paid extra? Hope so!!
A little bit, yes. :)
Oh man, double whammy!!
Got lucky. The thunderstorms didn't happen. phew!
Well I will probably get up at about 5:30am
Oh, that's not too bad, then. :)
It's not as crazy early as it could be, but I just know it's gonna be a really long day with the long flight to CA and then trying to be awake for the party and stuff that night.
Yeah, that'll be a long day. But the excitement of the party will help. :)

Oh and some underwear right @Steppesister :)

I can attest that while underwear are a luxury, you can still have a great time without them.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
getting up waaaay too early on Thursday to head to the airport!!

Know this gig alllll too well...

Otherwise...there's always coffee right?

Always.

.I have to remind myself..it will be impossible to do and see everything in two days. Sigh. You guys will sympathize I'm sure :)

There is NO way. Just enjoy what you DO get to do and it'll be a great trip!

Hi all,

In case anyone's following on FB...(or wants to) and IG I'm https://www.facebook.com/mcpherson.kathy or @kathymcpherson42 on IG if you want to see pics from DLR and DCL...since I still can't seem to get them on here...

I will do a longer trip report later...since I'm still on the trip...but the Disney portion is over...

Quick thoughts...I LOVE DLR and DCA...WDW still has my heart but man....it is SO much easier to plan a trip to the CA parks...just one FP at a time....down side though...not every ride has FP...there were a lot that I think should have but didn't and wait times were ridonkulous...

SWGE was AMAZING...and no, my chicken self did not go on Smugglers run lol but I did go into the building and take the chicken exit so I got to see all the awesome theming. I probably totally could have handled it but I just didn't want to risk feeling sick for the whole day at the parks since it was the first ride of the day. LOVED all the theming and food and everything about the land.

Also...Pirates at DLR. Ah. May. Zing.

That's all for now.

Nice! I'm so anxious to see SWGE - hey, at least you went all the way through for the experience before going out the chicken exit. Believe me, I've done that on rides quite a few times :rotfl:

I remember Pirates at DL when I went about 10 years ago - it really is amazing! :thumbsup2 Enjoy the rest of your trip!

I will do a longer trip report later...since I'm still on the trip...but the Disney portion is over...

YAY!!

SWGE was AMAZING...and no, my chicken self did not go on Smugglers run lol but I did go into the building and take the chicken exit so I got to see all the awesome theming. I probably totally could have handled it but I just didn't want to risk feeling sick for the whole day at the parks since it was the first ride of the day. LOVED all the theming and food and everything about the land.

I can't wait!!!!

Also...Pirates at DLR. Ah. May. Zing.

Yes, sooooo much better!! Longer and the beginning is uber cool!

Hi gang,

Have some time to kill while I'm doing laundry at a motel lol...so why not update before I forget the beginning parts of the trip lol. I'll go quickly through the non-Disney parts and more detailed on the DLR parts :)) since I know that's why anyone's here who's here!

On July 4 we flew from Toronto - San Diego!! Uneventful flight...took a Lyft to the Homewood Suites. The location was great. Especially if you are a bit of a plane geek like me - it had a really cool view of the landing flight path of the planes coming in to SAN. I got some great pics which I have shared on FB but again...whenever I figure out how will share here!! Anyway...the hotel was about a 10 short block walk from really where a lot of the downtown action was, and really close to little Italy where there were tons of great restaurants.

July 4 after getting settled, we headed on over to the USS Midway where we had tickets to a 4th of July party with the best view ever of the fireworks over the bay. It was super cool because they had like 5 fireworks shows happening all over that were synched to each other with music. Really cool. Also cool that they had pretend Maverick there to take pics with people (also on FB lol).

Those of you who follow on FB...we could not stop laughing when we saw this guy's shirt..it said "Jesus was American" and he was holding what looked like a pet dinosaur in his arms. We just couldn't figure it out. I don't want to debate religion or evolution or anything...we just thought it was quite hilarious that someone would wear that in public.

Next day we did a trolley hop on hop off tour all over San Diego. I love these tours...give you a bit of info and can get the lay of the land. We basically rode the tour all the way around and then got off in old town for some nachos and margaritas...BEST!!! I guess being so close to Mexico and all!! We saw all the main sites in SD including Seaport village and Balboa Park among others. Oh and we stopped at this dessert place called "idessert" which was super cool. You order a custom made desert on an ipad and then they make it. Very fun and delicious. Mine included meringue and cake and ice cream and caramel. Can't go wrong there.

The next day we took a ferry over to Coronado and spent the day there walking around and of course taking pics at the Del Coronado. Had a great lunch at a Burger Lounge. Then headed back to the mainland. Dinner was at Farmers Table which was also awesome. Another great meal we had was at Cafe Coyote which was seriously the best Mexican and most fun atmosphere, oh and a giant margarita menu as well, with well, giant margaritas.

On the way out of San Diego we drove to La Jolla (which I now know is pronounced "la hoya"" thanks to Google I didn't have to make a fool of myself saying it how it is spelled to a local. I kept hearing people talk about the beautiful beaches and coves in "la hoya" but looking at websites and maps etc, I kept seeing "La Jolla" and I eventually clued in that this is what they were talking about lol! Anyway...we went there and it was well worth the side trip. Views of cliffs and seals and sea lions so close we could get selfies with them! Did not touch them don't worry but they were just lounging around! and so so adorable!!

Driving to Anaheim, we stopped at In N Out because you have to when in the west. Although I still think Shake Shack is way better. At the In N Out patio while we were eating we had our first California celebrity sighting...well reality TV stars anyway...we saw the Amy and Zach Roloff from Little People Big World. Didn't say anything to them because didn't want to be those people lol.

Next up...Disney!!

Last edited:
OK so...on July 7 we arrived in Anaheim!!! Wahoooo!! We stayed at the Best Western Plaza Inn Hotel and Mini Suites. I can honestly say now that I've been to the area that this is seriously the best place to stay for DLR and DCA, I mean, even better than staying onsite. I am totally a convert to staying onsite no matter what the cost at WDW, but at the Anaheim parks...the hotels like the BW at the gate are seriously even closer to the park entrances than the onsite hotels!! I'm sure there are some perks to onsite like EMH and stuff...but for the cost I'm not sure that's worth it there. Anyway...we arrived at around 2pm and our room wasn't ready yet. They let us leave our bags at reception and then we went to return the rental car because we wouldn't need it in Anaheim. By the time we got back from doing that our room was ready. We dumped our stuff and rested for a few minutes but we really wanted to get over to Downtown Disney. We had opted for the 2 day park hopper with max pass ticket so we didn't have a park ticket for arrival day which was fine. We used the time to get oriented and explore Downtown Disney.

We ended up wandering around in World of Disney of course, checked out the pins and did some shopping. Stopped at Ballast Point Brewing for dinner. Really good. I had a salad with grilled peaches on it that was delicious. After that we walked around some more and over to the Disneyland hotel where we found Trader Sam's. My friend is a huge fan of anything tiki bar so we just had to go in. My 13 year old snuck in for a peek and then said she was tired so she went back to the hotel and my friend Tania and I enjoyed a bevvie there. She just loved it and of course took home a souvenier glass or two. She bought so many souvenier glasses and mugs on this trip I have no idea how she's going to get it all home!!

After our drinks we moseyed back through Downtown Disney back to the Best Western and settled in for the night since it would be an early morning (with much complaining by my travel companions) We talked to some CM's on the way out about our strategy. They advised us to go in and book a time for SWGE as soon as we got in the parks because they were doing it that way, so that was the plan. It was both great and anxiety provoking for me to have no real plan of attack because we couldn't book our FP's until we were actually IN the parks, and even then we could only book one at a time!! Waaah!!

July 8

Alarm went off at 6:30am. I had to repeat the virtues of Rope Drop to my travel companions a few times before it sunk in, or they just decided to get up to appease me. Dragged ourselves over to Captain Kidd's next door where the hotel does it's included breakfast buffet. It was ok, nothing special but good enough for some carbs and pre park sustenance, especially when you know Disney snacks are in your future. Finished up and packed our park bags and despite protests of "but it's only 7:30 and it's just across the street, the park doesn't open until 8am what are we doing?" we walked over and were in a line for security by 7:40am. Got through and then at about 7:50 they let us through the turnstiles (with old fashioned card tickets and a photo) and then we were allowed to walk up main street and wait by the ropes. This was where the confusion started. We walked until they stopped us. Then opened our apps to see if we could book our times to go to SWGE, but it wouldn't let us?? So we were all ***? But then as we were talking the line started to move and we were swept up in a crowd walking to...we didn't even know lol but we went with it!! As luck would have it, we soon found out from a local that we were in the first wave of people heading straight for SWGE and they weren't starting the timed entry until later that day. So we just went straight through right to Smugglers Run, seeing the whole land on the way!! My friend who has only been to WDW once was freaked out because she was like "I'm not doing this all day, I want to stop and look at things!!!" and I was like relax...we can do that after the ride!! So we went straight there. I walked through the whole beginning queue and almost to the point where you actually get on the ride, but then as I said...took the chicken exit because I didn't want to risk feeling sick all day, and to be honest...let's just say..vacation eating was catching up with me and my stomach was a bit on the temperamental side...so didn't want to tempt fate. But the theming of that ride is amazing.

My daughter and friend Tania went on and loved it. They would have liked to go again, but it just was not going to happen. The line was insane stretching all the way out of the land and we had way too much to do to spend the whole day in there. We explored the area, had some blue milk - awesome BTW. Also got some of the funky coke bottles. We got great photopass photos outside in SWGE and with Chewie and all kinds of cool spots. I wished I had more time to just soak in all the details they put in to the land. Another time!!

After that chaos was done, it was time to head out of SWGE and explore the rest of DLR in a more leisurely way. My daughter and friend booked a FP for Hyperspace Mountain. On the way we went on HM which was amazing. I was constantly comparing the DLR and WDW versions of things as one does...I think for HM I still like the MK version better, but there were several rides where I think DLR does it better. We went on some rides that MK doesn't have, Mr Toad's which used to be a fave, Snow White, Alice in Wonderland, and Pinocchio to name a few. The line was way to long for Peter Pan and they don't have FP for it which I find ridiculous! We of course did some classics like Buzz lightyear and Pirates. Pirates is waaaayyyy better at DLR. Longer and just more interesting.

Around 3pm we headed out for a break at the hotel, which was easy because it was a 10 minute walk to our room from the park gates!!! Also we were SUPER lucky with the weather. It was not at all unbearably hot. Mornings were actually cool enough for long sleeves. By afternoon it got warm but not unbearable.

More to come!! Evening in DCA!

Loved reading about your Cali trip. San Diego is my absolute FAVE!! So much to do and the weather is nearly perfect 365 days a year. La Jolla is my old hang out on days off from school when growing up. Our "gang" would shop at Seaport Village, beachcomb at La Jolla, etc....

Fun fact, when I was first married Amy and her then hubby Matt were in our Bible Study so I got to know them pretty well. WAY before they were famous. They are really nice folks and I enjoyed their company a lot.

Your strategy seemed to work, even if you didn't know what was going on at first. :) And you're right! DLR is WAY better for Fantasyland and POTC! WAY.

Loved your adventures so far!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!