Finally returning to Disney...this time it will be New Years Eve!

OziJo

Mouseketeer
Hi :wave2: fellow Aussie Disney travellers. It's been 6 years since our last Disney trip - 11 wonderful nights at Disney's Fort Wilderness staying in a cabin as a family of 5. At that time I found the DIS boards a wonderful place for advice and encouragement; a great way to share plans and feed off the energy of those who appreciate a trip that includes a Disney visit. Back then I posted both a detailed PTR and a TR (still there in my sig.) and I love revisiting our trip from time to time.

I especially found the Australian Forum to be helpful as only Aussie's understand the tyranny of distance that makes us strive so hard to fulfill our Disney Dreams. It takes that much more effort but we know it's worth it :tink::earsboy::earsgirl:

This time it's a completely different story with a smaller cast and shorter time frame, a prologue that includes a University exchange student (DD3) and a Canadian White Christmas as well as a Hollywood interlude and Hawaiian happy ending.

So here's how it goes:

About 4 years ago we felt it was time for another family trip. This time it was to include a white Christmas as well as another visit to WDW or DLR for New Years. I began to plan, returning here for advice and looking forward to the excitement and challenges of planning a trip during Christmas and New Year. Unfortunately circumstances didn't allow much progression in the planning process and such a trip was set aside - but never completely forgotten.

When DD3 started at the University of NSW 3 years ago immediately she began to plan a University Exchange trip where she would spend the Spring/Fall semester of her 3rd year studying at a University in either Canada or the States and we were to meet up with her around Christmas. The University exchange application process is quite exhaustive and the Universities and courses she was looking at required excellent academic credentials. So she studied hard and worked as a maths and science tutor as well doing Christmas holiday jobs to save. About 6 months ago she decided on the University of Alberta in Edmonton and began the application process through UNSW's Exchange program...a process that is ongoing since as I write, official acceptance into The University of Alberta has yet to happen! It's really just a formality though as UNSW has already recommended her to UA, she has started the complex subject matching and approval process and she has achieved High Distinctions in all her subjects. Something unexpected would have to happen for her not to be accepted.

But that hasn't stopped my planning and yesterday I booked flights and accommodation for 3 of us. Unfortunately DD1&2 will be unable to join us as their work commitments don't allow time off over Christmas. DD1 is a Store Manger and DD2 works at Luna Park.

So even without official confirmation that DD3 will be attending UA in the Fall we are going ahead with our White Christmas in Canada and New Years Eve in Disneyland as well as a few days in Hollywood and Honolulu on the way home. The only change if DD3 doesn't make it to UA is that we will have to get her on our flight out of Sydney on the 17th of December. Otherwise all else can go as planned.

So I'm thinking of using this thread as my PTR. I don't know how much I will write but I will have questions and hope others will have some advice, especially for New Years Eve in Disneyland. Next post I will outline our itinerary.

Thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read:disrocks:

Last edited:
How exciting! It sounds like a wonderful trip. I am onboard...
Hi! Thanks for joining. I've decided to start a PTR thread over in the PTR Forum (link is in my sig) because it seems so quiet here. Please jump on board over there for my updates :)

Your trip sounds awesome. I’ve only experienced a white Christmas once (in Austria) and it was magical. You are in for a treat.

Looking forward to reading more of your plans.

Congrats on your daughter's plans (and success in her grades). I work for a Uni and it's a great experience for the students to have. Will jump on over to PTR!

How exciting! What a wonderful, magical holiday you have planned!! We did Disneyland for New Year’s Eve in 2012. My son was 9 months old and it was his first Disney experience! It was and still remains to be my best New Year’s Eve experience ever!! Absolutely magical! We watched fantasmic! just before midnight (we got right down the front) and stayed there to watch the fireworks bring in the new year at midnight!

Oh my goodness, that's all so exciting. I will be sure to follow along and get a touch of disney through you. Just yesterday we cancelled our trip and have to postpone it. :( Very sad about that) I'm highly interested in the Canada, white christmas part of your trip as hopefully we will be able to add this into our trip for next year.

Hi Aussie DISers :wave2: I just booked tickets through my TA. DLR 4 day Park Hoppers for the price of 2 days! This worked out brilliantly for us because I was really wanting 3 day Park hoppers but they were going to cost so much more than Park a day and the tickets are already really expensive. So now we can we have an extra day to use on the day we arrive, Park hop and and save party:

I was wondering if anyone else has come across this deal? It's only open to Australian and NZ citizens (you have to show passport when you pick tickets up at the gates) and only available through Travel Agents.

DD3 leaves for Canada in just over a week and since I've now bought my Disneyland tickets, I've updated my TR (link in my sig) but I wanted to come here and share my excitement with fellow Aussies.

Last edited:
How exciting! What a wonderful, magical holiday you have planned!! We did Disneyland for New Year’s Eve in 2012. My son was 9 months old and it was his first Disney experience! It was and still remains to be my best New Year’s Eve experience ever!! Absolutely magical! We watched fantasmic! just before midnight (we got right down the front) and stayed there to watch the fireworks bring in the new year at midnight!
Hi A&S. How were the crowds? Did you have to enter the park early and stay all day?

Hi Aussie DISers :wave2: I just booked tickets through my TA. DLR 4 day Park Hoppers for the price of 2 days! This worked out brilliantly for us because I was really wanting 3 day Park hoppers but they were going to cost so much more than Park a day and the tickets are already really expensive. So now we can we have an extra day to use on the day we arrive, Park hop and and save party:

I was wondering if anyone else has come across this deal? It's only open to Australian and NZ citizens (you have to show passport when you pick tickets up at the gates) and only available through Travel Agents.

DD3 leaves for Canada in just over a week and since I've now bought my Disneyland tickets, I've updated my TR (link in my sig) but I wanted to come here and share my excitement with fellow Aussies.

Hi OziJo,
No I have not heard of that deal. The only deal for Aussies and NZ citizens I have heard about (and bought myself) is the 10 day ticket one. This sounds like an excellent deal for those looking to spend a shorter amount of time, but I still hope they have the 10 day pass as when we go to Disneyland, we tend to go for 6-8 days.

I have seen that deal advertised on tv here in Sydney, it's a add for Disneyland and they mention 4 days and u pay for 2, good deal

I did Christmas and New Year at DL in 2015 and it was amazing! The best advice I can give is to get into the park before it gets super busy and they potentially stop admitting guests. :)

Brand new to the site have booked contemporary resort for 13 nights in Jan 2020 is there a forum especially for Australian travellers about WDW. Thinking of getting dining plan family of 2 adults and 12 yr and 7 yr old. Flying out of Melbourne, Australia. TIA

Brand new to the site have booked contemporary resort for 13 nights in Jan 2020 is there a forum especially for Australian travellers about WDW. Thinking of getting dining plan family of 2 adults and 12 yr and 7 yr old. Flying out of Melbourne, Australia. TIA

Hi and Welcome Ms Lea:welcome:

Congraduations on your upcoming trip :) The Contemporary Resort is lovely. I haven't stayed there but visted when dining at Chef Mickeys.......

You'll find lots of helpful people here in the 'Australia' forum (Aussies and New Zealanders). Just start a thread and ask away, lots of people here have been to Disneyworld multiple times.......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts