Finally we went to our first RV dealer.... come on in -

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
Hi everyone,

While I haven't posted here very much, I have been reading and learning... quite a lot, I have so many notes... so Thank you!!

I posted a while back, that DH and I had been thinking about checking on the whole camping thing... We have a plan in place and are working toward it... Since we did not go to Japan as planned, we decided to use the money for getting us to the end of our 5 year plan faster... like maybe next year... Cautiously I say this....
We started talking about the getting a camper, 5th wheel, Class A... to help us with how we want to retire... We love the water and we have a boat, so we are thinking of parking whatever at a Camp ground that has Gulf access, with a ramp boat launch.. for the summer, along with slips for the boat, then we can just come back and forth on the weekends... and then we can use it to travel during the other months of the year... and going forward through retirement...

Buying the last one first...this will most like be the only one... so we have to be sure on what we get...

Okay.. so on with our trip to check it out...

We went to General RV over near Plant City... now our trip was 2 fold our friend went with us, he has been widowed for 3 years, and is a point that he might do the volunteer thing at the large National parks. He at first was talking about a Class A... For us, we are pretty much open for whatever...

After meeting our sales person.. DH was very straight forward, and let him know we were just checking it out... He was really great, he was fine with it... I think at first he might of thought we were wasting his time, once we started asking him questions he could tell that we were serious...

So we spent about 2 to 3 hours there... I learned so much... I learned a lot about what we did not want, and things we liked, or put on our list of needs or must have's...

We went inside of a few Class A, and some Class C for our buddy... and he was like all I need would be a Class C. I have to say that they were really nice... and the one he really liked was slept 8, and the bathroom had a stand up shower that he was looking for... He was really impressed with what they had to offer. He said for him that would work perfectly, and he could still haul his small SUV without any problem... He said that they had come along way since he had one before when his kids where young, and they camped all the time...he said it felt homey...and familiar to him... he said enough when his kids came along and not to much for him on his own...

So for us, up first the Class A's... I don't think that this is what we need for our plans...They were absolutely gorgeous inside and out. So many nice finishes, and extras... Class C to small for what we want to do, and how we live... Pull Behinds - we went in one, and DH looked at me... I was in agreement... not for us... I really am not sure why... they just did not do it for us on any level... Not that they weren't nice, not that anything was wrong with the camper, it just did not have the feel of what we wanted... I guess you just know... So then we went into the 5th wheels... home run... so many floor plans, options, even some with and additional half bath... washer dryer hook-ups... They felt like us, more of that home away from home kinda thing...we did have some things that we put on the list that we saw of must haves, stand up shower, true king, washer & dryer options , Home Fridge, adding a generator is a must, who knows we might want to boondock... look at me learning the lingo... LOL

So while we are planning on a new vehicle at the end of next year... We will have to rethink this for sure... Diesel versus Gas... and 250 to 350... looking at a crew cab, with either long or standard bed...no short beds... so more planning, and research...

I don't know if we will go all in buy new... most likely I don't think so... I asked about ordering what we wanted... he said 4 to 6 months... then I asked for the real time frame... more like 8 months or longer... Again this goes back to getting the last one first, as well as warranties, and such...

There are so many RV dealers in our area or even more within a 2 to 3 hour drive... We are planning on maybe talking another ride and checking out another dealer...

So we have begun our search... thoughts please...

You might want to check out a Super C with diesel. A friend had a couple of these and they were super nice. They could tow quite a bit of weight also.

Hi everyone,

While I haven't posted here very much, I have been reading and learning... quite a lot, I have so many notes... so Thank you!!

I posted a while back, that DH and I had been thinking about checking on the whole camping thing... We have a plan in place and are working toward it... Since we did not go to Japan as planned, we decided to use the money for getting us to the end of our 5 year plan faster... like maybe next year... Cautiously I say this....
We started talking about the getting a camper, 5th wheel, Class A... to help us with how we want to retire... We love the water and we have a boat, so we are thinking of parking whatever at a Camp ground that has Gulf access, with a ramp boat launch.. for the summer, along with slips for the boat, then we can just come back and forth on the weekends... and then we can use it to travel during the other months of the year... and going forward through retirement...

Buying the last one first...this will most like be the only one... so we have to be sure on what we get...

Okay.. so on with our trip to check it out...

We went to General RV over near Plant City... now our trip was 2 fold our friend went with us, he has been widowed for 3 years, and is a point that he might do the volunteer thing at the large National parks. He at first was talking about a Class A... For us, we are pretty much open for whatever...

After meeting our sales person.. DH was very straight forward, and let him know we were just checking it out... He was really great, he was fine with it... I think at first he might of thought we were wasting his time, once we started asking him questions he could tell that we were serious...

So we spent about 2 to 3 hours there... I learned so much... I learned a lot about what we did not want, and things we liked, or put on our list of needs or must have's...

We went inside of a few Class A, and some Class C for our buddy... and he was like all I need would be a Class C. I have to say that they were really nice... and the one he really liked was slept 8, and the bathroom had a stand up shower that he was looking for... He was really impressed with what they had to offer. He said for him that would work perfectly, and he could still haul his small SUV without any problem... He said that they had come along way since he had one before when his kids where young, and they camped all the time...he said it felt homey...and familiar to him... he said enough when his kids came along and not to much for him on his own...

So for us, up first the Class A's... I don't think that this is what we need for our plans...They were absolutely gorgeous inside and out. So many nice finishes, and extras... Class C to small for what we want to do, and how we live... Pull Behinds - we went in one, and DH looked at me... I was in agreement... not for us... I really am not sure why... they just did not do it for us on any level... Not that they weren't nice, not that anything was wrong with the camper, it just did not have the feel of what we wanted... I guess you just know... So then we went into the 5th wheels... home run... so many floor plans, options, even some with and additional half bath... washer dryer hook-ups... They felt like us, more of that home away from home kinda thing...we did have some things that we put on the list that we saw of must haves, stand up shower, true king, washer & dryer options , Home Fridge, adding a generator is a must, who knows we might want to boondock... look at me learning the lingo... LOL

So while we are planning on a new vehicle at the end of next year... We will have to rethink this for sure... Diesel versus Gas... and 250 to 350... looking at a crew cab, with either long or standard bed...no short beds... so more planning, and research...

I don't know if we will go all in buy new... most likely I don't think so... I asked about ordering what we wanted... he said 4 to 6 months... then I asked for the real time frame... more like 8 months or longer... Again this goes back to getting the last one first, as well as warranties, and such...

There are so many RV dealers in our area or even more within a 2 to 3 hour drive... We are planning on maybe talking another ride and checking out another dealer...

So we have begun our search... thoughts please...
If you went to General RV, don't forget to ask for the "Matt" price, he is their general ambassador. Have fun in your future adventures.

We have been RVing about 20 years. We now have our last RV (43' Entegra Diesel) We RV about 5 months a year, 3 at the Fort. This motor home is perfect for us because we cross the country every year. We put more miles on it than both our other vehicles combined. If we didn't travel so much we'd have a 5er. You get so much more camping for your money, but they are not as good for traveling: bath & fridge while you drive, generator for power wherever you stop and I don't even have to get out to level, open the slides etc.
To pull a decent size 5er a diesel pickup is what you need, but you have to keep it a long time and use it to make it worthwhile.

...If we didn't travel so much we'd have a 5er. You get so much more camping for your money, but they are not as good for traveling: bath & fridge while you drive, generator for power wherever you stop and I don't even have to get out to level, open the slides etc.
I disagree a little with Cousin Ed C. Yes, a 5er gives you as much or more "room" as a comparable Class A or Super C, but I also believe they're just as good for traveling. We took our Jayco Eagle 5er on our 13,000 mile FL - Alaska - FL adventure summer of 2018. We had no problem using the bathroom or retrieving lunch from the (residential) fridge without pushing out the slides. Yes, at a rest stop and not moving down the road, but stopping to stretch has its benefits, too. We pull it with a GMC diesel dually. I will never go back to a gas pickup now that I have experienced the outstanding performance of a diesel.

...To pull a decent size 5er a diesel pickup is what you need, but you have to keep it a long time and use it to make it worthwhile.
Same could be said for a Class A or Super C. In reality, our diesel pickup acts as our "Toad" once we are at the day's destination and unhitch. So I guess that meets the "use it to make it worthwhile" philosophy.

We are VERY happy with our GMC Dually/Diesel and 5th wheel setup.

No matter what manufacturer or style (towed or driven) you are leaning to, I suggest before you purchase get on and join the brand forum. I didn't until after I purchased our Eagle and wished I had joined earlier. The sheer knowledge available about the good and bad of a particular model or manufacturer is astonishing.

Good luck and hope you enjoy whatever RV you decide on.

LovesTimone,

I enjoyed reading your write-up. Me, I'm the guy with the little a-frame popup (who has never looked seriously at anything bigger) so your description (in simple terms that I could follow) was helpful.

You are right that there are lots of trailer/rv dealers in this Central Florida area from coast to coast so you can get a real feel for your own reaction to different types, sizes, features, and accessories.

Thanks, Bama Ed

I disagree a little with Cousin Ed C. Yes, a 5er gives you as much or more "room" as a comparable Class A or Super C, but I also believe they're just as good for traveling. We took our Jayco Eagle 5er on our 13,000 mile FL - Alaska - FL adventure summer of 2018. We had no problem using the bathroom or retrieving lunch from the (residential) fridge without pushing out the slides. Yes, at a rest stop and not moving down the road, but stopping to stretch has its benefits, too. We pull it with a GMC diesel dually. I will never go back to a gas pickup now that I have experienced the outstanding performance of a diesel.

Same could be said for a Class A or Super C. In reality, our diesel pickup acts as our "Toad" once we are at the day's destination and unhitch. So I guess that meets the "use it to make it worthwhile" philosophy.

No matter what manufacturer or style (towed or driven) you are leaning to, I suggest before you purchase get on and join the brand forum. I didn't until after I purchased our Eagle and wished I had joined earlier. The sheer knowledge available about the good and bad of a particular model or manufacturer is astonishing.

Thanks so much for your info... Since we are in the process of searching our truck... Is a dually really necessary? pro's and con's ? We have so many people putting inputting info... Most say the a 350 will handle it.. without the dually tires and upkeep? .. lots of problems with the rear end of the dually's?

As well Thanks for the tip on the brand forums... I am a planner and researcher... so anywhere I can get info is much appreciated...

Okay don't laugh, I am a newbie for sure... what does "toad" mean?

LovesTimone,

I enjoyed reading your write-up. Me, I'm the guy with the little a-frame popup (who has never looked seriously at anything bigger) so your description (in simple terms that I could follow) was helpful.

You are right that there are lots of trailer/rv dealers in this Central Florida area from coast to coast so you can get a real feel for your own reaction to different types, sizes, features, and accessories.

Thanks, Bama Ed

Thanks for you kind words... DH and I both like to see it, touch it, check it out, and check out comparisons and as much knowledge as we can get..... kick the tires kinda thing... and any big purchase like this we don't go into blindly, cost, maintenance, cost factors to run it, over all what are we looking at... It took us 2 1/2 year to decide on what boat we wanted... "we want what we want" kinda thing... and getting the best deal, for the long haul is important...

The first time I ever went camping as a kid was in a A-frame pop-up... it was fun.. great memories...

Okay don't laugh, I am a newbie for sure... what does "toad" mean?
Do NOT feel bad about asking any question on this forum. One of the reasons I like this website is the participants are super nice and willingly share their knowledge. Lots of experience here and glad you are making the most of it.

Class A RV's are difficult to take around town when you get to your destination...sight seeing, shopping, etc. A solution is to tow a small car/truck behind it and disconnect it upon arrival before backing in to a campsite. Pull throughs not so much a problem. (I have seen some Class C RV's tow also, but have also seen Class C's disappear from the campsite for a day of touring because they're somewhat easier to park or maneuver in city environment.) 5th wheel campers like us use the tow vehicle for local travel.

The vehicle that's towed behind an RV for local travel is affectionately called a "Toad." Not all vehicles are capable of being flat towed (all 4 wheels rolling on the ground). You'll have to check you owner's manual or dealership to see.

A solution to NOT towing is to rent a vehicle when you get where you're going, and avoid having a Toad all together.

Thanks so much for your info... Since we are in the process of searching our truck... Is a dually really necessary? pro's and con's ? We have so many people putting inputting info... Most say the a 350 will handle it.. without the dually tires and upkeep? .. lots of problems with the rear end of the dually's?

As well Thanks for the tip on the brand forums... I am a planner and researcher... so anywhere I can get info is much appreciated...
All good questions.
As has been stated before on this forum and elsewhere, if you're going the "tow your RV" route vice drivable RVs, select the trailer first. Then you have a firm idea what your tow vehicle requirements will be. I chose a dually because of a recommendation from an experienced friend. He had a flat tire on the rear while towing a 5er and was happy to have the remaining tire of his dually supporting the (heavy) weight on that side. That tire helped keep him on the road and avoid a potentially sad outcome. It all depends on what you're towing.
Like Bama Ed said, a popup is fine if it meets your needs.

I would go back and research areas to camp, your combination of a campground with gulf access for a boat may not even exist. (or at the very least have limited choices)

I would go back and research areas to camp, your combination of a campground with gulf access for a boat may not even exist. (or at the very least have limited choices)

Very good point... There are three in the area that we are thinking about, one is next to a marina, one has just that a ramp, without any slips, the last one offers everything... So we did add in several areas and opened up our options a bit more, that we can store the boat in a marina with a high and dry, and there are 2 or 3 RV resorts close by a one is on the same road as the marina, and the other 2 are within about 10 minutes... As well we decide to stretch out where we might want to check out... Our friends said that there are some in bend, small family owned, kinda like fish camps... as well a few on the St. John's river, that have access to the river and then the gulf if you so choose to do that...

Since we live in Central Fl.. Winter Garden... we have some options... and its not that far over to coast we would like to stay within no more than 3 hours drive.

We learned alot and check some places out when everything was shut down and all you could do was drive around.. We still have a ways to go yet... so we most likely will pick some places and do some over night stays, and check out the area, haul the boat around as well..

Only advice i have for the op, wait untill you find your camper. Or your camper finds you. After that see the weight and get your TV shortly after you decide what you want. That way, you dont get an over or under powered tv. I will say, big 5th wheels are better with a big diesel. And yes i have a 2500 gasser. But i also dont pull a big 5er.

One rule that I have found over the years on towing is have enough truck & you always seem to want more truck. That said, we were towing a 40' Crossroads Seville with a 2013 GMC Denali HD, 3500HD, 6.6L diesel, Allison 6-speed, single wheel, crew cab, standard bed. That camper has been re-homed and we are waiting delivery on an Alliance Paradigm 365RD, also 40 feet. Our truck is rated at 16,800 max tow load (5th wheel) & the camper comes in at 13,700 dry so we have a little room to work with. As with any camper, it's easy to overload so you do need to watch how you load it.

As Sjm991 suggested, find your camper & then get your truck. I cannot emphasize enough, don't trust either the camper or truck dealer when they tell you it's not a weight issue. Not every salesman or dealer is skilled in figureing out the weight discussion. Do your own research, ask questions, & talk to others.

We like the 5th wheel so much better than the bumper pull but everyone is different and has their own preference. One thing I can tell you for certain, the truck question tends to generate some serious discussion as to what is better. My preference is diesel & GMC, someone else may be Ford, & someone else may be Dodge Cummins. What I find interesting is what you have to do with the truck to get it level. We didn't have to make any truck changes to tow level but your results may vary.

What you do need to be cognizant of is the hitch (also a religious discussion, I like PullRite Superglide autosliders) and tires. 5th wheels, unless really short, need to have load range E or better tires as does the truck. I've gotten where I want LR G with a 4400lb capacity & on this new camper, we'll run the SuperG tires until they need replaced & then go to 17.5" rims and LR-H/J tires.

One thing you might consider is the Tampa RV show. All indications is that it's going to take place in 2021. It might be a bit of an information overload but pretty much anything RV will be there. Take pictures, make notes, and ask questions but take warning, the best sales guys in the business will be there.

I do have a bias toward companies affiliated with Thor. There seems to be a quality issue with them. If its a Thor product, I'm just not interested.

All new campers will have problems, it's just part of it. Thor just seems to have a penchant for recalls. The one we're getting is from Alliance Recreational Vehicles which just started producing campers this year. The principals & most if not all the personnel worked for other manufacturers and came to Alliance because of the culture.

Have fun looking for your camper.

I'd go with a diesel for sure no matter which brand you choose. We went from an F350 gas to an F350 diesel and the improvement in mileage and performance was pretty amazing.

We decided against a 5er as DH wanted the truck bed available for storage and truck-camping (we have a shell he 'fixes up' to sleep in) and because he wanted to be able to tote his hang glider from place to place while towing.

One thing to consider also is whether or not you'll need a generator. I know some motorhomes and 5ers have built in ones. Ours doesn't so we have a Honda 3000is for when we dry camp.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!