Finding nemo:the musical

And, another famous Broadway show.

avenue_q-logo-tony.jpg

(Tony winner for "Best Musical" that year. It won over WICKED, for some inexplicable reason.)
And Avenue Q was written by the same writer (Robert Lopez) as Finding Nemo the Musical (and Disney's ubiquitous Frozen!)

AQ9.jpg

AQ7.jpg

AQ6.jpg

2004_06_aveqtony.jpg
You beat me to this. The "visible" puppeteer style has been a huge hit in a lot of places. In Avenue Q they don't even try to dress up. Looks like they just showed up and forgot they had a show to be at. At least with Nemo they are all matching their character.

I understand thinking that it's boring if you're not much for musicals or just the story doesn't really do much for you, but to say that it's horrible seems like a bit of the overdramatic. :)

Robo - living in NYC, and seeing both of these shows numerous times --- the reason why Avenue Q won is because it was basically a critics darling --- while "Wicked" received glowing notices for both leads, Menzel and Chenoweth, in general, it received generally mixed reviews- ( I happen to love it, and it will run forever, but the critics didn't give it raves)

I remember listening to a radio show from the American Theatre Wing.
It was a group of producers and artists discussing the history of Original Broadway Cast Albums.
Much discussion of what albums had become "timeless" and beloved for decades.
Someone mentioned that (at the time the radio show was being taped) they had recently come back from the recording session for the OBC album for Wicked.

And someone said, "Well, it's going to be a hit now, but at least we know that the Wicked score will not be one of the long-loved classics."
And, the others agreed. (!)

I thought when I heard those remarks that those guys had ZERO notion just how LOVED the Wicked score (and show) was
going to be.
It has absolutely gorgeous melodies and some of the most clever (and moving) lyrics ever written.
It has to be my favorite go-to OCR of all time.
Proves that "insiders" don't necessarily have an edge on what the public will like.

Let's jump 15 years into the future.
Which score will still be playing...
Avenue Q or Wicked?

Although I haven't seen Avenue Q, when I first saw Nemo I realized it was done in that style. Some of my family like it, some don't. I initially didn't like it much but it grew on me. If you want to, give it another try, if not then don't

I remember listening to a radio show from the American Theatre Wing.
It was a group of producers and artists discussing the history of Original Broadway Cast Albums.
Much discussion of what albums had become "timeless" and beloved for decades.
Someone mentioned that (at the time the radio show was being taped) they had recently come back from the recording session for the OBC album for Wicked.

And someone said, "Well, it's going to be a hit now, but at least we know that the Wicked score will not be one of the long-loved classics."
And, the others agreed. (!)

I thought when I heard those remarks that those guys had ZERO notion just how LOVED the Wicked score (and show) was
going to be.
It has absolutely gorgeous melodies and some of the most clever (and moving) lyrics ever written.
It has to be my favorite go-to OCR of all time.
Proves that "insiders" don't necessarily have an edge on what the public will like.

Let's jump 15 years into the future.
Which score will still be playing...
Avenue Q or Wicked?

"Frozen" lol

The Tumble Monkey routines remain about the same (and same length) as always.
I’m with a pp. we went in May 2017 and there was zero gymnastics performed. I didn’t even notice until we were leaving and my husband pointed it out. Not sure what was going on but I am so happy to hear it wasn’t a permanent change!

I am not a show girl, but I LOVE Nemo. Get kind of verklempt every time I hear the melody for "That's my Dad..." LOL!! Kind of shocked at all of the dislike! I do agree the seats are the pits, though.
Completely agree! The songs (all of them!) really make the whole show!

If I recall, stage puppetry, in which you see the performers, was pioneered by the Lion King show on Broadway. It has since been used in other shows. Another example at Disney was the late, lamented Aladdin show at Disney's California Adventure, in which Iago was voiced and controlled by a puppeteer on stage.

I saw the show in both Aug & Sept of '17 and yes, the Tumblemonkey routine was largely cut. It was a minimal amount of floor versus the normal extended trampoline & trapeze. My understanding is that one of the monkeys had suffered an injury that took a while to heal, and the routine was unsafe without all of the monkeys present. (Some shows had the full team, others did not, and we drew the short straw... twice.)

I sure hope they're back into the swing of things now!

Thanks for the info! I really missed the gymnastics being in the show. Hopefully we will get to see the "full" show our next visit.

we watched this show years ago and actively disliked everything about it....

First recollections include-

The terribly uncomfortable seating
The length of the show
Being able to see the 'hidden' artistes on the stage

So; do we give it another try?
Do others enjoy?
We saw the show for the first time many years ago. The guys (men in the party) did not care for it. I had only seen it the one time, so really didn't remember much about it. Decided to see it again earlier this year. Absolutely LOVED it. I did not find the seating to be uncomfortable. No more so than Festival of the Lion King show, probably more comfortable. It is a long show, but so cute. I took my extended family to the show a few weeks ago and it was a hit for my 6 year old niece and nephew. I would see it again!

I'm honestly suprised that so many actually hated this show. As for uncomfortable seating, I don't find them any better or worse than others on property. I actually prefer them to seating at FOTLK since they actually have seatbacks I can lean against. As for being able to see the actors working the puppets, while I get that it's not for everyone, that's one of the things I enjoy most about it and I end up watching the actors more than I do the puppets. And a lot depends on the cast you get. There have been some that while I enjoyed the show, I wasn't particularly impressed with the actors and on our last trip, we had a really great cast and everyone fits their roles really well.

The only thing I'd recommend for going to see it again is to not sit in the lower section since there's a good bit that happens behind you. I always tell people to sit in the first three rows in the middle of the upper section. Close enough to enjoy the actors but far back enough that you can really take it all in.

Reactions: KEW
I'm honestly suprised that so many actually hated this show. As for uncomfortable seating, I don't find them any better or worse than others on property. I actually prefer them to seating at FOTLK since they actually have seatbacks I can lean against. As for being able to see the actors working the puppets, while I get that it's not for everyone, that's one of the things I enjoy most about it and I end up watching the actors more than I do the puppets. And a lot depends on the cast you get. There have been some that while I enjoyed the show, I wasn't particularly impressed with the actors and on our last trip, we had a really great cast and everyone fits their roles really well.

The only thing I'd recommend for going to see it again is to not sit in the lower section since there's a good bit that happens behind you. I always tell people to sit in the first three rows in the middle of the upper section. Close enough to enjoy the actors but far back enough that you can really take it all in.

I agree with eveything! I enjoyed this show...even though I was sitting near the edge in the lower section on the left. I would see this again with your seating suggestions. I'm in the minority...I would actually skip FOTLK in the future unless someone in my party wanted to see it again.

We’ve never seen the show but we will be there at the end of February. Thank you for saying which seats are good ones! How early do you normally show up before the show starts?

We’ve never seen the show but we will be there at the end of February. Thank you for saying which seats are good ones! How early do you normally show up before the show starts?

A good plan in order to choose your seat is to:
A) Get a FP for this show.
B) Arrive 50 (or more) minutes before show-time and enter the FP line at that time.
C) FP guests will be admitted first, and can choose any seats in the house.

A good plan is to:
A) Get a FP for this show.
B) Arrive 50 (or more) minutes before show-time and enter the FP line at that time.
C) FP guests will be admitted first, and can choose any seats in the house.
I had a FP for it and was told to get rid of it so I did. Now we have ee at 9:10, fop at 10:50, and Kali at 1:05.

I had a FP for it and was told to get rid of it so I did. Now we have ee at 9:10, fop at 10:50, and Kali at 1:05.

You should be able to book the Nemo Musical as a 4th FP that day,

I’ve been wondering if we will even need a FP for ee since the park opens at 8 and we will be there for rd. Are there usually same day FP for Nemo?

You won't need the EE FP with your timing.
However...
You should be able to book the Nemo Musical as a 4th FP that day.

You won't need the EE FP with your timing.
However...
You should be able to book the Nemo Musical as a 4th FP that day.
Okay that’s good to know. Thanks! Do you think I should change the ee FP to something else? There’s isn’t much else I feel like we would need a FP for.

Okay that’s good to know. Thanks! Do you think I should change the ee FP to something else? There’s isn’t much else I feel like we would need a FP for.

If you are sure that you don't want any other FP that day, then change the EE to Finding Nemo, and don't worry about it.

If you are sure that you don't want any other FP that day, then change the EE to Finding Nemo, and don't worry about it.
I changed it to a 9:30 lion king. If the park opens at 8 I think we should be able to do Navi, Safari, and ee before the lion king show. Then we will go to our fop at 10:50.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!