Finger Sandwich spreads

babylisa4

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have any spreads that they really like to put on finger sandwiches? Or anything that looks festive? My mom wants to take some to her Senior lunch site that she goes to for her Christmas party. I need to help her make them because she gets tired to easily. thanks

I don't do these often, but when I do I use egg salad, ham salad, tuna salad, chicken salad, roast beef spread (like ham salad - with sweet pickle relish, mayo, etc.), cream cheese & olive slices, cream cheese with shredded dried beef . . .

I found that the key is to really pulverize the tuna/ham/egg/chicken/dried beef & keep the mixture dry - kind of like a paste. It doesn't sound too appetizing that way - what I mean, though, is that you need to keep the mayo to a minimum. I don't know about you, but we eat our egg salad much sloppier than will work in finger sandwiches.

There's a recipe for Crabmeat Salad in the old Betty Corcker Cookbook that I always thought looked good - but I never tried it.

1 can (7.5 oz) crabmeat, drained & cartilage removed
1/4 c sour cream
1/4 c chopped celery
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Worcertershire sauce
Mix well. For a variation, add 1/2 c shredded sharp Cheddar cheese & increase Worcestershire sauce to 1 tsp.

The other spreads are:
Avocado Spread
Cottage Cheese Spread
Devide Ham Spread
Creamy Cheese Spread
Golden Cheese Spread
Ham Salad Filling
Olive-Nut Spread
Shrimp Salad Filling

If you want any of those recipes, let me know & I'll post them.

Deb

I make a good chicken salad. I use shredded chicken that I cook in the crock pot (skinned thighs work well), mayo, orange juice, vinegar, and Cajun seasoning. I think that it's 1 cup mayo to 1 TBSP juice and 2 TBSP vinegar, but I'm not sure. I'll look it up tomorrow. It's a very flavorful chicken salad, and it's well suited for finger sandwiches. It's also good on lettuce as a salad.

That sounds so good, Kermit! :D I've been pre-cooking all of my chicken lately - since I won't be grilling any. As soon as it comes in the house, it goes in the crock. Some gets thrown in freezer bags in pieces, but most has been shredded first. DD has off on Friday already & loves chicken salad . . . but I always think of that as left-over cubes. This sounds like a new "quick" meal! I'm always lokiing for those!:bounce: :bounce:

I looked it up. The official recipe is 1-1/4 cup mayo (low fat works fine), 2 TBSP OJ, and 1 TBSP white wine vinegar, and then Cajun seasoning to taste. It's very forgiving, though. I rarely measure, and I don't even necessarily use OJ and white wine vinegar. Anything sweet (like other juice or just white sugar) and any kind of vinegar works. A strong juice, like cranberry or cherry, with red wine vinegar is good, too. The same dressing is good on apples or with brocoli and red grapes, halved, and sesame seeds on top.

Here's my grandmother's recipe for pimiento cheese spread:

1 egg
1/3 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. dry mustard
dash salt
dash pepper
1 lb. cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 jar chopped pimiento

Bring vinegar to a boil, and add all dry ingredients that have been mixed together. Bring to a boil again. Add egg that has been well beaten, stir until thickened. Cool. Add grated cheese and chopped pimiento.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter