Fireworks or Lower Crowds?

straychicken

Mouseketeer
We have a trip planned in October with our two kids (ages 5 and 8). Dates are Sept 29-Oct 6 and our hotel is Pop Century. We have 4 day MYW tickets with bonus waterpark day. For the parks we would like to go to AK and HS and MK twice. We will have one water park day and one beach day.

Would you pick 2 MNSSHP days with low crowd levels (touring plan says 2 or 3) or 1 party day and 1 non party day. The non party day will be more crowded (6 or 7 per touring plans). The only reason I am considering the non party days is to watch the firework show. Is it worth a whole day of higher crowds? We are not planning to buy MNSSHP tickets.

Tough call from my perspective. We really enjoy MK on party days given the 'slightly' lower crowds on average. We also really like HEA and enjoy that show quite a bit (although no doubt party season pushes more people to HEA on non-party nights).

Ultimately, I'd probably split - 1 party day, 1 regular day.

It depends how often you go.

There’s a reason party days have low crowds: because leaving at 7 sucks.

Why would you choose to go on a day that sucks? Why would you choose to go on a non fireworks day when you could go on a fireworks day?

If you go to WDW all the time then a party day is fine. But if you go once per year it would be foolish to give away 4 hours of park time.

I would certainly want to see the MK fireworks at least one night esp if you are doing 2 days at MK. . . it's really the most iconic part of a MK day for many people. I've never been lucky enough to be at a park on a 2 or 3 crowd level so I would imagine you'd get a lot done that day and then use FPs/enjoy lower wait time rides on the 2nd day.

Why would you choose to go on a day that sucks? Why would you choose to go on a non fireworks day when you could go on a fireworks day?

If you go to WDW all the time then a party day is fine. But if you go once per year it would be foolish to give away 4 hours of park time.

We would be there at rope drop so assuming 9 am open and 6 pm close- that’s 9 hours in the park. We could probably ride a lot of rides in that time. If we do the non-party day we wouls still arrive early but leave for a big break in the after noon so we are reengergized. The total time we would be in the park might be about the same. But we haven’t seen the fireworks so it is sounding like we should pick one non party day.

Actually I believe you have to leave at 6pm now. :( They changed it.

I would pick one party day, and one non-party day. The fireworks show is amazing. I prefer to see it from within the park. it doesnt compare otherwise. I've seen it from the TTC, CG, you name it. Its just not the same as seeing it in front of the caste.

For the non party day do you think it matters if we pick Monday (no EMH) or Wednesday (touring plans shows evening EMH). Both are listed as crowd level 6.

I would pick one party day, and one non-party day. The fireworks show is amazing. I prefer to see it from within the park. it doesnt compare otherwise. I've seen it from the TTC, CG, you name it. Its just not the same as seeing it in front of the caste.

Thanks. We were considering try to watch outside the park. Sounds like it’s worth it to be in the park.

I would do one and one. MK on a party day is one of my personal favorite times to go. After being there at RD we are ready to leave by 6 anyway.

Thanks. We were considering try to watch outside the park. Sounds like it’s worth it to be in the park.
Have you ever been to WDW before? To me 4 Park days on a 7 night 8 day trip is simply not enough.
I think 1 water park day is great, but I would definitely skip the beach this trip. It is not close and a bit of a hassle.
Given your question and your current schedule I would definitely pick one party day and one non party day. HEA is simply phenomenal and should be experienced on Main Street.

Have you ever been to WDW before? To me 4 Park days on a 7 night 8 day trip is simply not enough.
I think 1 water park day is great, but I would definitely skip the beach this trip. It is not close and a bit of a hassle.
Given your question and your current schedule I would definitely pick one party day and one non party day. HEA is simply phenomenal and should be experienced on Main Street.

We went in December 2014 and had 4 day park hoppers. We ended up spending 2 days at Magic Kingdom but we’re never there in the evenings. My DH felt like 4 days were enough theme parks. For this trip We ended up with 7 nights at Pop century due how the dates worked out in booking award tickets. That gives us one day without tickets. We are landlocked in Kentucky. So everyone wants a beach day. We haven’t been to a beach in years.

We would be there at rope drop so assuming 9 am open and 6 pm close- that’s 9 hours in the park. We could probably ride a lot of rides in that time. If we do the non-party day we wouls still arrive early but leave for a big break in the after noon so we are reengergized. The total time we would be in the park might be about the same. But we haven’t seen the fireworks so it is sounding like we should pick one non party day.

Party days at the MK definitely do NOT suck! Usually lower crowds, so you can get a lot done. I do not put any faith in touring plans, so I think you should pick whichever evening you prefer to stay for fireworks. Personally I would expect there to be more people on an evening EMH day though. If you plan to stay later to use the EMH, it may be worth it for you.

Thanks for the input. I think have a plan for our park days. This should help to make some ADRs.

Sat, Sept 29- arrive
Sun, Sept 30- HS (use morning EMH)
Mon, Oct 1-MK with long afternoon break (see fireworks!)
Tues, Oct 2-water park or beach
Wed, Oct 3-AK
Thur, Oct 4-MK (closes at 6)
Fri, Oct 5- waterpark or beach
Sat, Oct 6- 615 am flight

Party days at the MK definitely do NOT suck! Usually lower crowds, so you can get a lot done.

Well “sucks” is clearly an opinion. However consider:

How many threads do we read about “which rides are better at night”, most people think seeing MK in the dark is more “magical” than in the day time, there’s a good reason people sit on the ground in the hub 90 minutes before the fireworks start.

So while leaving at 6 may not “suck” it will cause you to miss out on what most people consider the best part of the day at MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter