First 5K

Lady V

<font color=339933>I kept waking up so hot!<br><fo
Hi! Mt family is running our first 5K and I have some questions! I put us as running 15-16 minute miles since we will have a 5 year old with us. Will this put us in the last group to start or the first? Thank you! Also-if she gets tired out done is it possible for my DH to carry her any or is that frowned upon?
I am so excited!
Thanks!

I have not run a disney race with my kiddo. But the official rules says (I looked up Tink weekend since I was not sure your exact race.)
  • You must be 5 years of age on race day to participate in the Never Land 5K. Each participant must be able to complete the 5K on their own.
So technically, carrying her would not be allowed. At least that is how I interpret it. That may or may not be enforced. What I do know from having a 5 year old myself is that they are HEAVY!! And they are HEAVIER after physical activity!! Most people don't train for any amount of mileage holding a 30-50 lbs person. Also it may not be the safest thing to carry someone on a crowded course where people are going different paces. Heaven forbid you trip on a road reflector or something.

So my opinion (which is just mine) is that it would be unsafe to carry her. If she needs to walk at the end, then I would suggest just all walking together.

edited to add: 15-16 min mile will be towards the last corrals to start. They start faster paces first. This is for safety reasons, so that people are running or walking with other people at about the same speed. You will feel safer there with a 5 year old than up front!!

Last edited:
I'd also love to know how it goes if you report back! I've only signed my kiddo up for kids races, but she's getting older now!

Thank you for the replies! We are doing the Wine and Dine 5K and she will be 6.5 by then so hopefully it all works out! I have warned my husband they might get swept and he has agreed to be the one to leave with her.
I wasn't sure if there were any people who had actually experienced being slow on the 5K and if they really did get swept or did they find them to be more forgiving than the literature states?

Thank you for the replies! We are doing the Wine and Dine 5K and she will be 6.5 by then so hopefully it all works out! I have warned my husband they might get swept and he has agreed to be the one to leave with her.
I wasn't sure if there were any people who had actually experienced being slow on the 5K and if they really did get swept or did they find them to be more forgiving than the literature states?

Hey, I'll be at that race too! In my experience with rundisney 5k's...it's very hard to get swept. You aren't on highways like the long races so I don't think there are the same amount of sweep points. And I've seen people clock in times much higher than the 16 min allowed pace. As long as you guys train for 15-16 min mile and don't spend a huge amount of time in character lines, you should be fine. I'd say if you are worried, just get towards the front of your corral and try to get at least a mile in before stopping for a character. You may be surprised at how fast your 6.5 year old will want to run out the gates, so maybe try to get her to not sprint too fast right away so she doesn't tire herself out (I'm thinking about what my kid would do right now.) Don't worry too much...5ks are so much less stressful! If you train to at least know what walking at 16 min feels like, you will be totally fine if anyone gets tired. Maybe I will see you there :)

I am tempted to do the 5K in April by myself to get a feel for it since I will be there then but I am not sure!

My nephew who was 6 1/2 did his first 5k at the Wine & Dine and loved it. He didn't have to be carried, but I will say before the race start I saw other young kids being held waiting in the corrals. The worst that would happen is being told to put him down if you are carrying him. Now, I did see a woman finishing with a baby strapped to her which is completely a no-no but no one told her no apparently.

I've also heard they don't really sweep in 5ks, but move people up closer to the finish to still finish if they are lingering, @Keels posted this on the 5k I think, so maybe can confirm if that's the case as she was a volunteer.

Hi! Mt family is running our first 5K and I have some questions! I put us as running 15-16 minute miles since we will have a 5 year old with us. Will this put us in the last group to start or the first? Thank you! Also-if she gets tired out done is it possible for my DH to carry her any or is that frowned upon?
I am so excited!
Thanks!
Congrats on your 1st 5K!!
What a great pick, too, on where to run your 1st. You'll most likely be in the D or E corral. Even so - be sure to put SOMETHING/ANYTHING in the Expected Time field on you registration.

From what I've read elsewhere on this site, "sweeping" for the 5K could also involve transporting back-of-the-pack runners to a point near the finish...but they still finish the race.

The time will put you guys towards the end but not necessarily the last corral. They try really hard not to sweep the 5K but they will sometimes take you off course if you are taking forever.

To be honest the 5Ks are the most relaxed. I have seen parents carrying their smaller ones. If you piggie back her then there is no different between that and her walking. Just make sure you come to a full stop and go all the way to the side off the path when picking her up and putting her down. I wouldn't do on the shoulders as that can be dangerous but heck they even sell those piggie back things for bigger kids that might work.

As someone else also experienced I have seen 5K runners with babies in Ergos and wraps which is an absolute big no no but people still do it every 5K so I can't imagine you having to pack a young kid every once in a while will be a big deal.

Be careful not to lose your young child at the 5K - there'll be thousands of people herded together in the pre-dawn darkness, and while the sprawling staging area is lit the course itself is pretty dark.

DH & I did the Marathon Weekend 5K earlier this month, and I can vouch for them not enforcing the 16-minute mile requirement. DH is not a runner, did not train (due to unforeseen health issues), and participated only because DD and I "encouraged" him (the things men do for love!). We walked the entire distance, stopped for only one photo op and one potty break, and probably averaged 20 mm. And we were not the last people across the finish line! So if y'all are training for a 16 mm you'll be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter