First (and Only) Solo Trip...

DrunkJam

DIS Veteran
Hi solo travellers!

I am going to be taking a solo trip to WDW (WL) in June 2020.

My husband and I stayed at WL and got married at the YC in 2010, so, this is a tenth anniversary trip.

Sadly, he is too ill to travel (he has Leukaemia, and autoimmune issues that make it impossible to fly) but I am going to bring treats and such back for 10th anniversary hampers for him and the kids (who need to be in school, and because this year has been hard and I need a break)

So, I'll be there for 5 nights on my own!

I plan to not do ANY of the ADrs we have done together (although I DO want to try to new Artist Point character dining, is that allowed as a solo? We had our wedding meal at the old Artist Point, and 7 dwarves is his favourite)

I will get some Fps, and I am getting free dining so, can make ADRS in line with that (standard plan)

I am hoping to have a more relaxed vacation on my own than with the kids, one of whom is autistic. I don't in any way mind using Fps and waiting, without the disability card. I don't want to make any one's family trip worse, but want to enjoy Disney and all there is to experience in a more relaxed way.

I even fancy trying cocktails at Trader Sam's (we never took the kids into a bar, I thought that was a no go thing in the USA) who knows.

Anyway, tips, tricks, suggestions all welcome. TIA.

PS if anyone knows why my ticker hasn't updated to the preferences I chose, advice also welcome

I love, love, love solo trips. And the Wilderness Lodge resort is the best! Have fun planning this well-deserved trip, and let us know if specific questions arise. I love going with the family, but the serenity I experience when I'm solo totally resets my clock, and I return to reality energized and ready to do what life demands.

I am worried I will feel guilty, cos the kids would love to be there too, but, I do need some down time, and, I want to get some anniversary stuff. And take some time to process this year which has been very challenging. (It has been challenging for the kids too, but I took them to DLRP in May.)

I've been researching ADR's for my own solo trip in December and I've seen reservations for one person for the Snow White character meal pop up a couple of times. I think they tend to go quickly, as the word of mouth has been really good. I believe you will have an excellent chance to get a reservation when your booking window opens, but if you don't, just use the TouringPlans reservation finder and it will notify you when one opens up. Also, at least for now, it only takes one table service credit so it's a really good deal. On a personal note; I understand the impulse to feel guilty--don't. Your intentions are good and it sounds like you could use a break. Like Dawn said, let us know of any questions you may have and we'll try to answer them for you.

Thank you so much. I nearly ditched it from my plans. But, I will see if there is an opening. Luckily, as a solo traveller, I can dine at odd hours, that work best for me, rather than standard family meal times!

Relax and enjoy - especially for those of us that do the majority of the planning not having anyone else to consider is a joy! I spend my trips doing things the rest of the family/friend group doesn't like - Food & Wine Booths all day (or GASP a seminar!), multiple rides on my fav rides, deciding it is too hot and I want to go sit in the pool for an hour or two - love the flexibility.

Solo tips:
Learn FP refresh and use constantly (amazing what comes up for 1)
Lounges are fabulous to eat at (however they don't do DDP)
Take some entertainment - Play app, Kindle or the app, etc. Sometimes even as an adult you need to retreat to your own space in line.
Pick 2 or 3 things you have always wanted to do - but everyone groans when you bring it up (and then do it as much as you want!)

Relax and enjoy - especially for those of us that do the majority of the planning not having anyone else to consider is a joy! I spend my trips doing things the rest of the family/friend group doesn't like - Food & Wine Booths all day (or GASP a seminar!), multiple rides on my fav rides, deciding it is too hot and I want to go sit in the pool for an hour or two - love the flexibility.

Solo tips:
Learn FP refresh and use constantly (amazing what comes up for 1)
Lounges are fabulous to eat at (however they don't do DDP)
Take some entertainment - Play app, Kindle or the app, etc. Sometimes even as an adult you need to retreat to your own space in line.
Pick 2 or 3 things you have always wanted to do - but everyone groans when you bring it up (and then do it as much as you want!)
Thank you so much for this! I have never used the 4th FP option (as a family we've always had the DAS, since our son has ASD, obviously, I won't have that this time, so I will make FP my friend!)
I am still in the planning processes (ADR date 11th Dec!) But I have a fairly god idea now of what I ideally want those to look like, and a couple of upcharge events that the kids never wanted to do (or were not old enough for)
I do feel guilty for leaving them at home, but I am excited to actually go, and do what I want, even if that means I am allowed to change my mind!

I know nothing about children, but I might recommend making a list of the things you really wanted to do but could not because of children being present. Maybe enjoy some of the nightlife at The Edison (or elsewhere)? Any attractions you really wanted to do, but could not in the past?

I know nothing about children, but I might recommend making a list of the things you really wanted to do but could not because of children being present. Maybe enjoy some of the nightlife at The Edison (or elsewhere)? Any attractions you really wanted to do, but could not in the past?
This is kind of what I am doing, I think. So far I have added meals they refused to contemplate, late evening events, and a couple of upcharge events they are too young for!

So, I thought I would com back and update with what ADRs I *actually* made. What add ons I *actually* booked etc. so, I have....

Day one - Check in WL, No ADRS (plan to grab late Fps for MK.)
Day two - HS Morning 12 noon ADR Oga's (hoping to try the Mickey and Minnie ride, but want to see the SW theming, plus this trip is ALL about the cocktails.)
Day two cont - EMH Epcot 6pm San Angel Inn - HOPING to grab day of Fps in Epcot. Soarin may be a big ask but...
Day 3 - Wonders of the Lodge Free tour - 2pm Yak and Yeti (PM AK FP plan)
Day 4 - Marceline to MK Tour. FP MK - 6pm Story Book Dining (plus pop into territory lounge for a drink after - plan to try ALL the WL dining options)
Day 5 - WCC Breakfast 10:05 (hoping this will be OK solo) - EPCOT FP day. Villains After Hours at MK
Day 6 - Check out. Brunch at Trails End.

What do y'all think?

Hi solo travellers!

I am going to be taking a solo trip to WDW (WL) in June 2020.

My husband and I stayed at WL and got married at the YC in 2010, so, this is a tenth anniversary trip.

Sadly, he is too ill to travel (he has Leukaemia, and autoimmune issues that make it impossible to fly) but I am going to bring treats and such back for 10th anniversary hampers for him and the kids (who need to be in school, and because this year has been hard and I need a break)

So, I'll be there for 5 nights on my own!

I plan to not do ANY of the ADrs we have done together (although I DO want to try to new Artist Point character dining, is that allowed as a solo? We had our wedding meal at the old Artist Point, and 7 dwarves is his favourite)

I will get some Fps, and I am getting free dining so, can make ADRS in line with that (standard plan)

I am hoping to have a more relaxed vacation on my own than with the kids, one of whom is autistic. I don't in any way mind using Fps and waiting, without the disability card. I don't want to make any one's family trip worse, but want to enjoy Disney and all there is to experience in a more relaxed way.

I even fancy trying cocktails at Trader Sam's (we never took the kids into a bar, I thought that was a no go thing in the USA) who knows.

Anyway, tips, tricks, suggestions all welcome. TIA.

PS if anyone knows why my ticker hasn't updated to the preferences I chose, advice also welcome

First off I am sorry to hear about your husband.

Now on to the fun stuff...the trip! I did a solo trip in August and I had a great time. This was my first ever solo trip and after having a good time (even through the heat), I am trying to plan another one.

I did an ADR for Artist Point (Storybook Dining) as a solo and was treated as any other table was. When the characters came around my waitress told me that if she wasn't around there would be a character attendant near by and have them take a picture. I got a picture with all the characters (Snow White, Grumpy and Dopey). At the end of my meal, I went to see the Evil Queen and there was a photopass photographer there with her.

My trip was very relaxing (some because of the heat) and others because I was on my own time. I also got to do things that I don't normally get to do with my friends. I went to Typhoon Lagoon for a day.

I wanted to get to Trader Sam's but just never found the time...AGAIN...LOL. I will get there someday...LOL! I had a park hopper ticket on that trip also (which I never do when I am on my other trips), but if I do another solo, I will get a park hopper ticket. It was nice to spend the morning at one park, and go to a different park in the evening.

I did get FP+'s set up, but a lot of the time, I changed them around because I just wasn't feeling some of them at the time that I had them scheduled.

First off I am sorry to hear about your husband.

Now on to the fun stuff...the trip! I did a solo trip in August and I had a great time. This was my first ever solo trip and after having a good time (even through the heat), I am trying to plan another one.

I did an ADR for Artist Point (Storybook Dining) as a solo and was treated as any other table was. When the characters came around my waitress told me that if she wasn't around there would be a character attendant near by and have them take a picture. I got a picture with all the characters (Snow White, Grumpy and Dopey). At the end of my meal, I went to see the Evil Queen and there was a photopass photographer there with her.

My trip was very relaxing (some because of the heat) and others because I was on my own time. I also got to do things that I don't normally get to do with my friends. I went to Typhoon Lagoon for a day.

I wanted to get to Trader Sam's but just never found the time...AGAIN...LOL. I will get there someday...LOL! I had a park hopper ticket on that trip also (which I never do when I am on my other trips), but if I do another solo, I will get a park hopper ticket. It was nice to spend the morning at one park, and go to a different park in the evening.

I did get FP+'s set up, but a lot of the time, I changed them around because I just wasn't feeling some of them at the time that I had them scheduled.
That all sounds great.
I have a few lounges on my non ADR list, Not for food, the DDP is PLENTY of food, but, I can't try them with the kids, so... I am really hoping to get to Trader Sam's, Enchanted Rose, Territory Lounge and Nomad! (Plus Ogas!) I mean, if the number of cocktails gets too much, I can skip any.

I didn't particularly enjoy my solo experience at AP, but that doesn't mean you won't. They sat me at the worst table in the corner. The characters didn't have handlers, so no one to take pictures. My table wasn't close enough to the others that I felt comfortable asking someone at another table to do it. But with that said - Grumpy was awesome because we were both Grumpy. He stomped his feet at me because I wasn't taking pictures. LOL! The Evil Queen was great also.
Definitely worth at least one trip.

I didn't particularly enjoy my solo experience at AP, but that doesn't mean you won't. They sat me at the worst table in the corner. The characters didn't have handlers, so no one to take pictures. My table wasn't close enough to the others that I felt comfortable asking someone at another table to do it. But with that said - Grumpy was awesome because we were both Grumpy. He stomped his feet at me because I wasn't taking pictures. LOL! The Evil Queen was great also.
Definitely worth at least one trip.
I'm sorry you had a bad time! AP is a must do. The last time we ate there, we were my entire wedding, ALL the guests! And, since I am on this solo tenth anniversary trip WITHOUT my husband who is too sick to travel, I want to go back, even though it will be very different, because WL, and AP has history for us, whatever they do with characters. The CM who booked it for me noted my anniversary on the reservation, even though it's for one person, because of the circumstance, so, really, if the characters are not great, I will just know I am in the right PLACE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!