First big RV trip and first time at FW

To add to @Stratman50th, just in case your trailer didn't come with, a spare tire, jack and lug wrench
You can borrow my lug wrench and jack...
20210511_130010.jpg
EDIT:
Just kidding. Not mine. Just a picture from when I got new tires for the rear. I took the picture because I thought the air wrench was pretty cool, as well as the air jack. Heavy duty equipment.
I don't carry a spare. No place to store it and I couldn't lift the thing if I had it. Especially if it was mounted on the wheel.

Last edited:
Hi I love reading the campers and RV boards for my bucket list plans!
would love to know more about Meachams…

They just built a new Publix at the end of World Drive in Celebration.
They have plans to Open more like a Dunkin Donuts and a new brewery….but so far everything is still vacant except for Publix & their liquor Store….so huge parking lot and empty !

Also wonder if the AAA is a good policy to have . I have always been a member and notice they have a different type membership for RV owners… just a suggestion.
I have basically maintained my membership for 50 years because of those TripTiks they make for individual map itinerary that includes updated current construction hotspots and RestStops and gasoline stops, etc …plus they will replace battery or tow me if I have have a problem .
Haha I have also been State Farm forever because they send me a birthday card every year.
SouthWest Airlines Rapid Rewards used to send Birthday Cards every year and boy are they collectible. I saved them always and still love to put them on display every year! One of the cards had the autographs of the big executives wishing me a personal Happy Birthday.
If only Disney would design a card like that with characters autograph collection !

Anyway sorry to get off topic…
Does anybody recommend AAA RV membership?

Last edited:
…continued..
I just put this on my bucket list …Airstream Base CamPX
it’s really small but I bet expensive!

Looking for advice
Should everybody stay in the FW Cabins before they start building DVC ?Thats on my list of things to do too.
Whats on your list ?

Sending all Daily Best Wishes for safe travels especially in Florida !

Last edited:

@DL1WDW2
So first, AAA. I have never been a member so probably wouldn't do it now. I belong to FMCA. They have a lot of the same type discounts and roadside assistance plans as AAA but are geared specifically to RV/campers. I also belong to Good Sams. Mostly for the campground discounts, but they also have different roadside insurance type programs.
I've never stayed in the cabins. My parents took my grandparents there in the 70s and they had actual campers set up. Shows you how far back!
If you're suggesting people could overnight in that new shopping center lot, I don't know about that. I'd be worried about a late night knock on the door from the Sheriff on that one. Have you ever seen campers in there before?
Lastly, DVC. Never been a DVC member. My parents looked into it years ago. My mom being the big fan. They crunched the numbers and said it wasn't worth it. I don't know one way or the other as I've never had the desire to be tied into something like that.
My bucket list is to see as much of Florida as we can for now. Then head out west for the bigger trips!

Hi I love reading the campers and RV boards for my bucket list plans!
would love to know more about Meachams…

They just built a new Publix at the end of World Drive in Celebration.
They have plans to Open more like a Dunkin Donuts and a new brewery….but so far everything is still vacant except for Publix & their liquor Store….so huge parking lot and empty !

Also wonder if the AAA is a good policy to have . I have always been a member and notice they have a different type membership for RV owners… just a suggestion.
I have basically maintained my membership for 50 years because of those TripTiks they make for individual map itinerary that includes updated current construction hotspots and RestStops and gasoline stops, etc …plus they will replace battery or tow me if I have have a problem .
Haha I have also been State Farm forever because they send me a birthday card every year.
SouthWest Airlines Rapid Rewards used to send Birthday Cards every year and boy are they collectible. I saved them always and still love to put them on display every year! One of the cards had the autographs of the big executives wishing me a personal Happy Birthday.
If only Disney would design a card like that with characters autograph collection !

Anyway sorry to get off topic…
Does anybody recommend AAA RV membership?

I don't know about a 'different' membership specifically for RV owners, but if you're talking about the 'upgrade' to premiere membership, yes, we have that and think it's good value for the money. We carried the 'Plus' for years because of the increased towing allowance for our cars and the 'Premiere' is only $25 more/year and includes RV towing + more towing miles.

I don't know about a 'different' membership specifically for RV owners, but if you're talking about the 'upgrade' to premiere membership, yes, we have that and think it's good value for the money. We carried the 'Plus' for years because of the increased towing allowance for our cars and the 'Premiere' is only $25 more/year and includes RV towing + more towing miles.

We have the "AAA Plus RV" and have done so for years but have never had to use it so I can't say whether it's worth it. But I sleep better at night knowing it's there. Sort of like insurance, you hope you never need it - I'm superstitious that way.

giphy.gif

That new(er) Publix in Celebration at the end of World Drive is an option to be able to stock up on groceries before rolling into the Fort. The Publix chain, though, is pricey because they strive to provide a high quality, high level of service grocery shopping experience (which you end up paying for). I'm an Aldi/Wal Mart grocery guy myself. But it's true to say that the location is another option.

We stayed in the cabins before we bought our first pop-up and I DO wish we could spend a night or two in the FW Cabins again before they go DVC. But in considering that possibility, the Jiminy Cricket on my shoulder whispers how many more nights in a FW Popup site I could get for the same cost.

Never seriously considered DVC in the past because people always said, buy DVC where you want to stay. Well, I WANT TO STAY AT THE FORT! Stayed at the Contemp, Caribbean Beach, and I still prefer the Fort. Now a FW Cabin DVC is appealing but our camper is more than just a replacement for a WDW resort room. It's my cabin in the woods, my condo at the beach, PLUS my timeshare at WDW.

But who knows what we will do as we get into our senior citizen days. I wait with interest for the FW DVC cabin point charts/price per point to be released. I'm not closing the door completely yet.

Bama Ed

We have the "AAA Plus RV" and have done so for years but have never had to use it so I can't say whether it's worth it. But I sleep better at night knowing it's there. Sort of like insurance, you hope you never need it - I'm superstitious that way.

giphy.gif

That new(er) Publix in Celebration at the end of World Drive is an option to be able to stock up on groceries before rolling into the Fort. The Publix chain, though, is pricey because they strive to provide a high quality, high level of service grocery shopping experience (which you end up paying for). I'm an Aldi/Wal Mart grocery guy myself. But it's true to say that the location is another option.
Duh! I never thought he was talking about a place to shop prior to checking in. People have asked about where to "stage" prior to heading in to the Fort. My bad! :o
Our camper is more than just a replacement for a WDW resort room. It's my cabin in the woods, my condo at the beach, PLUS my timeshare at WDW.

Bama Ed
This is what I tell people as well. Where we differ is you actually camp. I'm pretty sure we probably can't even get in to places you've been, but it is what it is. As long as we can be close enough to visit, I'm good.
We don't, never claimed to, don't pretend to be a camper. As I've said before, it's our home away from home.

Well I guess I was wrong about that Publix…I just went during lunch hour and the lawn maintenance and construction workers have discovered this place for their sandwiches during lunch hour …
And the Celebration high school is across street and pretty sure the traffic before and after school hours is horrific…
Sorry I guess a Sunday is a good day to take a chance or maybe late Friday if you are just arriving… but with that you might as well go to WalMart .
The BJs Opens early located on Osceola Parkway and has more selection than a Costco… including fresh sliced deli meats and fresh fruit and dairy products and bakery .
They are really nice in there but it is a small membership fee.

Well I guess I was wrong about that Publix…I just went during lunch hour and the lawn maintenance and construction workers have discovered this place for their sandwiches during lunch hour …
And the Celebration high school is across street and pretty sure the traffic before and after school hours is horrific…
Sorry I guess a Sunday is a good day to take a chance or maybe late Friday if you are just arriving… but with that you might as well go to WalMart .
The BJs Opens early located on Osceola Parkway and has more selection than a Costco… including fresh sliced deli meats and fresh fruit and dairy products and bakery .
They are really nice in there but it is a small membership fee.

Publix opens at 7am, I think if people got there just at opening they could avoid the worst of the crowds and traffic.

But there's a reason why we 'stage' a day or two early and do our shopping before we hit FtW. Who wants to waste time grocery shopping when you could be enjoying a day at the parks or a 'down day' relaxing at the Fort.

But there's a reason why we 'stage' a day or two early and do our shopping before we hit FtW. Who wants to waste time grocery shopping when you could be enjoying a day at the parks or a 'down day' relaxing at the Fort.

Some of us have a small, under-the-counter fridge that only holds so much, Stormy.

Plus I worked at a grocery store in my youth. They're like a second home.

And I'm the main cook. You think I'm gonna place an on-line order and let somebody else pick out just ANY bunch of fresh asparagus to fulfill my order? I'm kinda particular about my fresh produce (as an example).

I try to be a nice guy here on the DIS but there is a Gordon Ramsey side to me in the kitchen.

gordon-ramsay-writers-photo-1

Ed

PS - and DW doesn't like grocery store runs so I get to go by myself.... :duck:

Whoops sorry, I mean :love2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter