First December visit

AdamsMum

DIS Veteran
Hi All,

This year will be the first time I've visited in December. Early December not Christmas exactly. I was disappointed to find that the Star Wars Spectacular was not being shown, but it is replaced by Jingle Bell Bam, which gets really good reviews. I'm okay with that.

I was just checking park hours and noted that Rivers of Light is not scheduled either. I know it's a minor nighttime show, but I'm starting to wonder what else to expect. Has Rivers of Light been replaced with something else? Any other shows at AK to see in the evening? I know I can walk around Pandora, but lets face it there's 2 rides in there and you can only fp one of them at a time.

I was really excited to be there for the Christmas season, now I'm wondering if it's worth it.

I guess it depends on what you wanted from going at Christmas; the parks are all decorated with beautiful trees and such, the castle is fabulous in person (and they have a castle lighting show with Elsa), the Christmas party, all the hotels done up and tour worthy, the Candlelight Processional, the Holidays around the world in EPCOT (including the storytellers and food booths), Voices of Liberty over in EPCOT singing carols in American Adventure, Sunset Greetings and JBJB at DHS as well as TSL getting a holiday overlay, at AK they are adding a "Diwali, the holiday Festival of Lights in India" bit to the new UP! bird show, Christmas music everywhere, Christmas themed treats...

River of lights will be showing in December. I have a river of lights dining package it says first show...

River of lights will be showing in December. I have a river of lights dining package it says first show...
I don't see in on the park hours schedule, I'm there December 9-17. Thanks, I'll check again.

I don't see in on the park hours schedule, I'm there December 9-17. Thanks, I'll check again.

RoL doesn’t show up on some versions of the park calendar on Disney’s website, for some reason. I usually go to the RoL main page and change the date on the right to check the current posted times: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/animal-kingdom/rivers-of-light/

(Obviously double-check closer to your date in case they update schedules).

Hope that helps.

DW and I have been visiting WDW in early December for over 20 years, first as on site vacationers and for the last few years as snowbirds. It is a wonderful time to visit. As Mome Rath just said, the parks and resorts are all decorated and there are many holiday themed events scattered through the parks. When on site we loved being immersed in the holiday spirit.

As to your specific question about RoL, I can't say.
I believe that you will experience the excitement and the holiday pixiedust: you are hoping for.

RoL doesn’t show up on some versions of the park calendar on Disney’s website, for some reason. I usually go to the RoL main page and change the date on the right to check the current posted times: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/animal-kingdom/rivers-of-light/

(Obviously double-check closer to your date in case they update schedules).

Hope that helps.
It does, thanks, I went to the RoL main page and checked it day by day, its at 6:30 pm every night I'm there.

And, one spectacular that I forgot to add, the Holiday add on to Illuminations is awe-inspiring... as I say when I'm done watching it, "Now they're just showing off."

Hope you have a great trip!

I really think Epcot is a great place to be during the holiday season. The Candlelight Processional is a must do. I love walking around world showcase and experiencing each country's storytellers in holidays around the world. Holiday foodbooths will be up. Easy walk to BC, YC and BW to see their displays. Holiday Illuminations is fantastic.
We thought rivers of light was not that great. We are going to skip it this December.

Screenshot_2018-08-18-12-39-50.png Not sure which day you are going but right now they have it showing at 6:15...maybe as it gets closer they will add a second showing...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!