First Disney Trip,3 kids, one with ASD and one 3.5 years old

Nikciburd

Mouseketeer
Ok, as you can probably tell from the title, I’m a little nervous and excited about this trip. We have three children. The oldest is 10, the middle one has ASD and is 7 and our daughter will almost be 4 by the trip (one month away). We are bringing one set of grandparents who are on the younger side (62 years old) and fairly good shape. My mother is not a big ride fan. She’ll probably enjoy some of the tamer ones or take the little one off for kids rides or shows.

So my first question is: Can I get the DAS the first night we are there before going to the parks? We are arriving on a Thursday around 3pm (flight lands at 2:30). We do not plan on going to the parks that day because I want to ease my two younger kids into their first hotel experience (just had their first plane ride too). I figure we can go out to eat at Disney Springs and play by the pool (we are staying on-site). ALso I know it limits us to 6 people with the DAS. Who should I exclude? ALso, I thought I could take advantage of ride swap with the 3 year old who will likely be too short for many of the rides and allow my son with ASD to ride twice since he sometimes doesn’t understand why he cant ride multiple times in a row. Saying “one more time” often helps. We have done theme parks locally before and he loves the big rides since he is a sensory seeker and not avoider. Crowds don’t bother him but waiting in line will cause him to try to elope or touch random strangers. He will get bored and try to run away so it’s best to keep him moving or occupied rather than standing in line.

SEcond, should I get a stroller? Will he fit? He’s on the small side of 7 (birthday in April and in 20% for height). I don’t know exactly how tall because he hasn’t been cooperative with me lately. I’m thinking of bringing my mclaren umbrella stroller from home since it’s only 8lbs and holds up to 60lbs (he’s around 48lbs now). I figure the two can share it and I can save money. We don’t really do strollers for either anymore but I need a way to keep him contained at times. He will probably be wearing a harness to help keep him with us (but of course he also does that annoying thing where he drops to the ground and sits when I try to hold his hand). Anyway, that’s why I’m bringing grandparent reinforcements at the additional cost of getting a second hotel room. They are paying for flights, tickets and meals.

Ok, as you can probably tell from the title, I’m a little nervous and excited about this trip. We have three children. The oldest is 10, the middle one has ASD and is 7 and our daughter will almost be 4 by the trip (one month away). We are bringing one set of grandparents who are on the younger side (62 years old) and fairly good shape. My mother is not a big ride fan. She’ll probably enjoy some of the tamer ones or take the little one off for kids rides or shows.

So my first question is: Can I get the DAS the first night we are there before going to the parks? We are arriving on a Thursday around 3pm (flight lands at 2:30). We do not plan on going to the parks that day because I want to ease my two younger kids into their first hotel experience (just had their first plane ride too). I figure we can go out to eat at Disney Springs and play by the pool (we are staying on-site). ALso I know it limits us to 6 people with the DAS. Who should I exclude? ALso, I thought I could take advantage of ride swap with the 3 year old who will likely be too short for many of the rides and allow my son with ASD to ride twice since he sometimes doesn’t understand why he cant ride multiple times in a row. Saying “one more time” often helps. We have done theme parks locally before and he loves the big rides since he is a sensory seeker and not avoider. Crowds don’t bother him but waiting in line will cause him to try to elope or touch random strangers. He will get bored and try to run away so it’s best to keep him moving or occupied rather than standing in line.

SEcond, should I get a stroller? Will he fit? He’s on the small side of 7 (birthday in April and in 20% for height). I don’t know exactly how tall because he hasn’t been cooperative with me lately. I’m thinking of bringing my mclaren umbrella stroller from home since it’s only 8lbs and holds up to 60lbs (he’s around 48lbs now). I figure the two can share it and I can save money. We don’t really do strollers for either anymore but I need a way to keep him contained at times. He will probably be wearing a harness to help keep him with us (but of course he also does that annoying thing where he drops to the ground and sits when I try to hold his hand). Anyway, that’s why I’m bringing grandparent reinforcements at the additional cost of getting a second hotel room. They are paying for flights, tickets and meals.
First, welcome to the DIS!

Questions, in order:
1)No, you need to go to an actual Park Guest Services desk BUT!!! sometimes, with Pixie Dust, the CM's at Disney Springs can set up the DAS. But plan on that answer being generally no and schedule that 10-20 mins into your Park arrival.

2) Not clear of your family make-up... 3 adults are coming with 3 kids? But if you are asking about limits then a 4th adult is coming? Honestly I think that Pixie Dust will apply for your party's size in this case. Plus if Grandma is taking the littlest elsewhere to enjoy, that's two people removed from the limit of 6. The CM's can often use some Pixie Dust to fudge this number, but not everyone will want to/can ride everything, right? They really only get SUPER picky about it on high-capacity rides/days.

2a) YES you should use Rider Swap in conjunction with the DAS!!!

2b) Not completely possible - he WILL have to get off the ride, and re-enter from a loading point with the rest of you utilizing the Rider Swap. No staying in the ride car...

3) If you are asking yourself this question, just say, "yes" to yourself and bring the thing, and stop judging yourself for it. :) Really. You will observe more than enough kids who don't need a stroller, kids who need the stroller, and plenty of adults who NEED a stroller! :D Just also put a very unique ribbon or buy a Mickey balloon to put on it immediately so that you know it's yours. Plenty of other people will have brought their exact model of stroller to yours, and the CM's move them around so you need to know how to find yours fast.

4) WOW what generous grandparents! That is amazing, I hope you have a great trip!

remember that your child is going to have to be with you for picture for DAS last I knew. do not know about your kids but even if you can get outside the gate how are they going to do with being able to see park but not going in? not sure if Disney Springs can help you. also if you think you are going to want stroller in line to help control him you are also going to need a stroller as wheelchair tag also which is gotten at GS also

the CM at guest relations can add everyone to the DAS ( you need everyone with you) but at the rides, some CM can only do 5 plus the DAS holder so this is when you might have to split up and have some people go through the standby line.

I have not heard of the DAS being given out at Disney springs, but sometimes you can get it from the outside GR window just know your son must go to have his picture taken.

It does not take that long to get a DAS first thing all the park but EPCOT have GR window close enough upfront that when they let you in early you can stop in and get your DAS worked out before rope drop

If his problems with standing in lines are that he might run off or try to touch strangers, would those issues be lessened if he were in a stroller in the lines? That's where the stroller as wheelchair tag might come in handy and you could use it in lines for rides whether or not he's using the DAS.

You should be able to add all 7 of you to the DAS, but might have to choose only 6 of the 7 when you get a return time. Depending on the height of the almost four year old, this probably won't be a problem anyway for most rides since the almost four year old won't be able to ride anyway, and obviously someone would be staying back with them.

Are you planning on bringing just one stroller? I'd bring 2 - one for the preschooler (can the preschooler walk 5-7 miles a day, for a week?) and one for the 7 year old. Get a stroller as a wheelchair tag if you need to keep the 7 year old in a stroller for issues.

Thanks everyone! You are all great.

Sorry I was confusing. There are 7 of us: 4 adults (grandparents and us) and 3 kids (10, 7, 3). Just for clarity, not that it actually matters, the grandparents are only paying for their own tickets and meals and airfair. We are covering our own expenses and hotels for them. They want to come and think it will be fun but we are helping with lodging because we appreciate the help.

You are all right about the stroller for the 4 year old. I’m definitely worried about her too. THe thing is that I think my 7 year old with ASD will want to walk a good deal of the time. He has tons of energy to burn. That’s where the harness (leash) will come in most of the time. I’ve taken him to a small amusement park before and he did well without the harness (mostly with one instance where he ran ahead....and I had my two year old out of the stroller at the time....so yeah it was challenging and slightly traumatizing because my husband was riding with my oldest). I’m thinking I can have him walk most of the time and she’ll have the stroller since she gets tired quickly still. But you’re right....I don’t have a plan for both at the same time. I was wondering if Disney’s double strollers will fit him? It sounds like they do but they’re SOOO expensive. I do have a second umbrella stroller at home (an uppababy one) but the thought of carrying two strollers on the plane and through hotels sounds hellish. Double strollers don’t fit my son. He’s on the very edge of the maclaren. He’s really too tall for it. I suppose I could see if I could rent a medical stroller down there. I know they have them but I don’t have one myself. My insurance is pretty good so maybe I could get one before our august trip.

Sorry I know I”m rambling a bit here. I’m a little overwhelmed. I’ll definitely get the stroller as a wheelchair tag. Thanks that sounds helpful. But if I have two I don’t know what I can do for that. SMH this is hard.

Last edited:
If his problems with standing in lines are that he might run off or try to touch strangers, would those issues be lessened if he were in a stroller in the lines? That's where the stroller as wheelchair tag might come in handy and you could use it in lines for rides whether or not he's using the DAS.

You should be able to add all 7 of you to the DAS, but might have to choose only 6 of the 7 when you get a return time. Depending on the height of the almost four year old, this probably won't be a problem anyway for most rides since the almost four year old won't be able to ride anyway, and obviously someone would be staying back with them.

Thanks that’s what I was thinking. I also think my mother(in-law) will back out of some but not all. I’m worried for things like It’s A Small World or something where we can all ride that it will be an issue. I know they have to have rules to cut down on abuse but it stinks when you have a legitimate need and can’t keep your party together by one person. Oh well. I’m grateful they try to accommodate us at all. Six flags only lets in 3 people and that cuts out my daughter anyway as a family of 5. I at least think they should let you keep immediate family members together but that’s an argument for another time I suppose.

Thanks that’s what I was thinking. I also think my mother(in-law) will back out of some but not all. I’m worried for things like It’s A Small World or something where we can all ride that it will be an issue. I know they have to have rules to cut down on abuse but it stinks when you have a legitimate need and can’t keep your party together by one person. Oh well. I’m grateful they try to accommodate us at all. Six flags only lets in 3 people and that cuts out my daughter anyway as a family of 5. I at least think they should let you keep immediate family members together but that’s an argument for another time I suppose.
Since you are only one over there is a good chance you will all be able to ride with the DAS. If there are things you know the whole family would enjoy you could FP it and this way you would not have to worry.

Thanks everyone! You are all great.

Sorry I was confusing. There are 7 of us: 4 adults (grandparents and us) and 3 kids (10, 7, 3). Just for clarity, not that it actually matters, the grandparents are only paying for their own tickets and meals and airfair. We are covering our own expenses and hotels for them. They want to come and think it will be fun but we are helping with lodging because we appreciate the help.

You are all right about the stroller for the 4 year old. I’m definitely worried about her too. THe thing is that I think my 7 year old with ASD will want to walk a good deal of the time. He has tons of energy to burn. That’s where the harness (leash) will come in most of the time. I’ve taken him to a small amusement park before and he did well without the harness (mostly with one instance where he ran ahead....and I had my two year old out of the stroller at the time....so yeah it was challenging and slightly traumatizing because my husband was riding with my oldest). I’m thinking I can have him walk most of the time and she’ll have the stroller since she gets tired quickly still. But you’re right....I don’t have a plan for both at the same time. I was wondering if Disney’s double strollers will fit him? It sounds like they do but they’re SOOO expensive. I do have a second umbrella stroller at home (an uppababy one) but the thought of carrying two strollers on the plane and through hotels sounds hellish. Double strollers don’t fit my son. He’s on the very edge of the maclaren. He’s really too tall for it. I suppose I could see if I could rent a medical stroller down there. I know they have them but I don’t have one myself. My insurance is pretty good so maybe I could get one before our august trip.

Sorry I know I”m rambling a bit here. I’m a little overwhelmed. I’ll definitely get the stroller as a wheelchair tag. Thanks that sounds helpful. But if I have two I don’t know what I can do for that. SMH this is hard.

As for carrying 2 strollers on the plane, you could check one or both of them for free, then you wouldn't have to mess with taking it through the airport. Honestly though, although I've only ever travelled with one stroller, I never saw it as being a hassle to go through the airport with it. Going through security they have someone look it over separately, which never really took any extra time for us, then you just leave the stroller(s) in the tunnel before you board the plane and they have them there waiting for you when you get off. As for at the hotel, if the kids are sitting in them, it's not really that big of a deal to push them to the room. I don't think Disney's strollers are worth the cost. They also have a hard seat that doesn't recline and you wouldn't be able to use it outside of the parks if you needed it. I would personally bring both of the strollers you have. You can always leave one (or both) in stroller parking throughout all the parks and tour a section, then come back for it when you need it or are going to move to a different land.

Thank you. That was helpful. You’re right. Our other umbrella is a little bulkier and heavier but it has a good recline feature and I have an extra sunshade somewhere for it. I might be able to get her to nap in it too. My son rarely naps unless sick but he doesn’t require much sleep. It will be humid and gross in late August though so I’m sure he’ll appreciate the ride at some point. I also have raincovers somewhere for them.

It’s probably worth it though. Originally I booked PORFQ but am thinking of switching to a larger resort in case of promotional offers later. Also, we need a variety in the food court. My son only eats pasta so restaurants can be tricky.anyway a larger resort will require additional walking

As mentioned by @gap2368, they may let you have all 7 on a return time since it's only one over policy. If not, you could plan to fastpass those rides, or try to time it for when you could do standby without a long line and no need for a DAS. Iasw can have short lines in the mornings first thing, as well as during parades and fireworks (if you end up staying that late and don't mind missing them.) Check the ride wait times throughout the day on the MDE app and you might be able to catch it and other rides during low wait times. Another suggestion is to have your nuclear family ride with DAS and let the grandparents go in standby or go on another ride or have a snack or something that way they can have a little bit of alone time too. I'm sure they will love every second with all of you and be incredibly helpful, but at the same time might need or appreciate a small break/ alone time every now and then too.

Also, with the stroller as wheelchair tag, you might find that your son is better able to tolerate slightly longer waits since he'd be contained and you can build a buffer of family members around him so he's not able to touch anyone else. If this is the case, you may find you can go in longer standby lines. ***I'm not in any way trying to undermine your DS's condition in any way, just going off of what you posted earlier about his issues being running off and touching people in lines, and trying to throw out some ideas to help. Also, would some sort of portable video game or fidget spinner or other kind of toy/device help to keep him occupied in line?

Thank you. That was helpful. You’re right. Our other umbrella is a little bulkier and heavier but it has a good recline feature and I have an extra sunshade somewhere for it. I might be able to get her to nap in it too. My son rarely naps unless sick but he doesn’t require much sleep. It will be humid and gross in late August though so I’m sure he’ll appreciate the ride at some point. I also have raincovers somewhere for them.

It’s probably worth it though. Originally I booked PORFQ but am thinking of switching to a larger resort in case of promotional offers later. Also, we need a variety in the food court. My son only eats pasta so restaurants can be tricky.anyway a larger resort will require additional walking

Yes to the rain covers!!! Do NOT forget them every day. Late August is so unpredictable with the rain. I strongly suggest covering the strollers anytime you leave them outside for a ride, show, or meal as the rain sometimes comes up out of nowhere.

When you say larger resort, what exactly are you meaning? Are you still thinking a moderate, or deluxe? With the deluxe resorts, there are no food courts. They have quick service but your options are limited in comparison with the food courts at the mods and values.

@Nikciburd

POR - Port Orleans Riverside has a pasta station in the food court, and it's good! :)

If you decide to gate check your strollers, remember a couple of things -

First, as noted above, you will have to take the strollers through TSA. This isn't really a big deal, but allow about 15 extra minutes in case your airport is busy. Typically, they will look it over, peek into pockets, and "swab" it, with a special kit that tests for bad stuff that bad people use. Since you will have 2 strollers, just add a bit of extra time.

Have one of the adults go through first by themselves, so that they can be on the other end to "catch" your belongings as they come off the X-ray belt.

The second adult that goes through by themselves will help corral the kiddos while the last of the adults go through. :)

When you get to your gate after TSA, when the gate agents show up to work your flight (don't bug them if you are there early, and they are working a flight that is not yours) have one adult in your travel party approach the desk and tell them that you need to gate check both strollers. The gate agents should give you a tag (either like a luggage tag, or with a little elastic band on it) that you will put on the stroller, and a claim ticket that matches the tag on the stroller(s). Hang on to the claim ticket until you have the stroller back at your destination.

To make things as easy as possible, don't leave anything you don't want to lose in/on the stroller. Leave one adult outside the plane with the strollers when boarding; that person's job will be to fold the strollers and hand them off to the ground crew. The rest of your party goes on and gets the kiddos seated, and the stroller folder seats last.

Since I assume you will be riding DME (Disney's Magical Express) to your Resort, be prepared at MCO to (again) fold the strollers and place them under the bus. Then you can all board together, and when you get to your Resort, the driver will get them out for you and you open them, and pop the kiddos back in. (It is appropriate, although not required, to tip the driver of DME a little bit - a couple of dollars per stroller - for helping with them.)

Have a super trip - and remember that every QS location (Quick Service or walk-up food service) gives away cups of ice water for free, so stay hydrated! :)

T

The other reason I suggested two strollers - in case you decide to split up at some point. Say your son needs a break back at the room, but your 4 year old is napping in her stroller and the grandparents would happily push her around World Showcase. Or one of the kids won't ride/isn't tall enough to ride something, so you take one of them to try something else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter