• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Disney Trip

Kimmie5870

DIS Veteran
We have just started planning our first Disney trip (for Dec 6-13,2004)and I am clueless about EVERYTHING!But my biggest concern is finding a good but affordable wheelchair rental van company...and a off site villa or house to rent that is wheelchair accessible (it doesnt even have to be completely accessible,just able to get the wheelchair in and through the house}.
I am also very nervous about flying with my daughter...I hear alot about lost or damaged luggage...has anyone heard of a wheelchair being lost ?

Any tips or information for our trip or the magical Kingdom would really be appreciated.
Kim

Have you considered staying at a DVC resort? They have HA rooms. The studios have a mini kitchenette. The 1 - 2 bedrooms have a full kitchen and washer/dryer in the room. You can stay at DVC renting through Disney or DVC rental boards here on DIS. By staying on-site, you can use Disney transportation and save the cost of renting a van, parking is free at WDW for on-site guests and experience the magic 24 hours a day.

Wheelchairs should be gate checked - less likely to get lost.

Good luck with your planning. :sunny:

PS Welcome to the DIS boards. Beware - they are addicting :Pinkbounc

Don't have time to write much, but just want to second DVC as a great option. We have been DVC members at OKW for more than 10 years.
I've also never heard of a lost wheelchair. We've traveled by plne with DD's wheelchair at least once a year since 1988 and had no problems (well, we did have a slightly bent anti-tipper bar one year, but no major probelms).

Welcome! Here is a link to a thread that has great info on taking a wc on a plane:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=588348

I think early December is a great time to travel, it won't be overly crowded or too hot. I agree with the others, the "home away from home" resorts could be really good for you. Since that is off-season, you may wish to see whether getting an annual passport ("AP") for one person in your party is worth it for the potential discount on your room. WDW has special AP rates for hotels during certain times of the year. In addition, I know I have seen others here say it can be cost effective to rent DVC points, and there is a board for that here. www.mousesavers.com has a good list of ways to get discounts. My dh and I have APs as he goes to Orlando a lot for business and we have gotten some really good rates with it.

:wave: Cupcake

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter